Project 600 Les Paul.

Dixiethedog

Experienced
I am terrible at starting projects and then becoming distracted and forgetting them.

Ages and ages ago (years), I bought a very cheap (as they were at the time) Gibson LP Studio. I did not want it or need it, but the price was so good that I thought why not as I had some spare cash.

The Studio was finished in a wine-red colour (color for you Americans), and if you looked at it hard enough you could see some interesting wood markings under the paint. I was not keen on it to play as it felt almost sticky. So when my wife was out/not looking I used her nail varnish remover to strip the nitro finish from the guitar. And then sidelined it for a while. I restarted it with an experiment with some "yellow" guitar paint (nitro) and again sidelined it for another day.
This pic is NOT my guitar but it gives an idea of the starting point. Having said that, this example guitar is ten times nicer than what I started out with. But it is the same wine red.

s-l1600 (9).jpg

I was in the loft last week and spotted it and decided that I should really try to finish it. I sat it in the corner of the sitting room, by the television and just stared at it whilst mindless rubbish played on the TV. The more I looked at it the more I started to like it. So a plan has been hatched.

On Saturday, I decided to sand the rear down again and grain-fill it. I mixed some grain filler with a little wood dye and painted it onto the guitar. As I did this a friend turned up some work stopped, the kettle went on and time passed by. When I returned to the guitar, the grain filler had dried hard and was stupidly thick and needed to be sanded off again! I did some sanding yesterday but ran out of good sandpaper so just quit. I will be buying some "materials" today.

Once I resand and refill (if needed) the rear/neck of the guitar it will be sprayed in a really cool nitro lacquer that has no plasticizers in it and ages in a way Tom Murphy would be amazed at. If anybody is interested in lacquer, check this link out. If you go to about the 7-minute mark you will see some cool examples. I am going to try a 60-40 mix as I have bought the normal nitro and the relic for experiment purposes.

I have some Tim Shaw pups from an older LP that I will use. I am going to invest in some new CTS pots etc for the wiring which will done in a 50s style. I am going to buy an aged ABR-1 conversion from Faber and some new aged Klusons from here;

http://www.fake58.co.uk/Page 23's.htm

I am not sure if I will go with the shrunken ones, but I would prefer something aged.

LP Studios have the Gibson in some sort of gold decal which looks rubbish, so I inlayed an early 70's Gibson MOP replacement. I did this without doing any damage to the Les Paul model script so I am happy. I now have also fitted a genuine Gary Moore model truss rod cover which came from an old guitar from my past. I'd like it to have a bit of a "Greeny" influence but not because of Mr. Hammett, but simply because I like old-looking yellow guitars!

And here she is. Or it is. LOL. It is a guitar, not a female.

P3090057.jpg

And before I forget, the reason I have called the thread "Project 600" is because I think that with the new parts needed, the refinish and whatever else it needs I should be able to do it for less than £600 all in, which includes the purchase price of the guitar. Bargain!

I have recently upgraded my laptop but have more pictures (I think?) on an old hard drive so may add some if anybody is interested. But I will add more to this as I start the refinish. Whether it is good or bad!

Just as a note to myself. I hate gold hardware (unless on something like an LP Custom). So nothing gold will be used on this guitar.

I had hoped to be spraying some new nitro over the guitar by the weekend, but things seem to be getting in the way. I paint motorbikes (or did as a bit of a sideline business) (I now just paint my own stuff as I seem to have several motorbike projects on the go at any one time) so I am fairly confident. :) Having said that, I normally work with 2k materials (very hard-wearing paint that will be on your car) and not nitro. Yesterday was t-shirt weather here, yet today I walked the dog with a jacket on and can feel a difference in temperature. I am aware that you can get what would be described as "blooming" in the finish with nitro paint, but I am not sure if that is caused by humidity or the change in temperature.

I have high-quality thinners for my painting but think that today I will order some anti-bloom thinners just to be on the safe side. It will no doubt delay things for a few days but seeing as the guitar has been hidden in the loft for what seems like years I don't think that it will really matter that much. Slow progress is still progress.

I would like to give Nitorlack a bit of a plug. I mailed them at about 10.50 a.m. and had a reply by 11.00.
Their service is superb. I have no idea if you can buy their products in the US as they are a European company based I believe in Spain.
They only have one UK supplier at present (with another in the pipeline soon) who are;

https://guitarkitfabric.co.uk/

Todays mail went direct to Nitorlack, who can be found here;

https://nitorlack.com/en/

I wonder if this is where Gibson buys their relic paints? :)

I sprayed some Nitro clear coat on a Strat i'm working on this morning from a rattle can and i have some bloom, moisture in the air a think.
Have you managed to rectify it?
Once I make a proper start on spraying this guitar you you would be welcome to bring your Strat across and use some of my Nitorlack lacquer. I have the normal non-aged along with their relic-aged stuff. I have enough to do several guitars. I have even bought a brand new spray gun to use only for guitar lacquer.

I've left it hanging at the moment, not checked it but turned the temps up and hopefully it will disappear on its own accord. Happened to me before a long while back on a different job but oddly, when i rubbed it with my finger after it had dried out the bloom just vanished. Just had a look at that site and noticed they do Gibson Goldtop paint too. What Gun did you get, i've been looking at them but a bit of a minefield presumably HVLP? Thanks for the offer, might take you up on it.

I've left it hanging at the moment, not checked it but turned the temps up and hopefully it will disappear on its own accord. Happened to me before a long while back on a different job but oddly, when i rubbed it with my finger after it had dried out the bloom just vanished. Just had a look at that site and noticed they do Gibson Goldtop paint too. What Gun did you get, i've been looking at them but a bit of a minefield presumably HVLP? Thanks for the offer, might take you up on it.
For spray guns, I normally use a Devilbiss (expensive and over rated...) but for this (Les Paul), I have bought a cheap (£11-12) HVLP gun from ebay. I watch spray painting videos on YT where the sprayers say that you need this gun or that gun and personally think that it is mostly BS. You don't need to spend a fortune to do nice paint.

Funnily enough, I was also checking out their gold top paint as well. I had hoped that they might have done the aged gold but their listing seems to be for the more modern gold. I have used aged gold from The Manchester Guitar store (probably the wrong name, but run by a gent called Steve) which was great. But it depends on what you are after.

From the past. Paint done with a £10 spray gun. If you "colour sand" any paint job you will achieve a glass-like finish. The gun whether expensive or cheap is just a vehicle to get the paint onto the "job". For me, the skill is in the finishing process with the finish sanding to remove any orange peel if present and to make things look as nice as you can make them.

1385895_10201306779849526_560356422_n.jpg1920091_273898552769646_1947033809_n.jpg

Last edited:
Hi @nathan_393 , thank you for your kind comment. Yes, I will add as many pictures as I can (good or bad) as I go thru the process of the refinish.

I am used to painting motorbikes, but think guitar spraying is a different skill set which I will learn as I do it. In at the deep end!

I mentioned in the Cancer Sucks thread in the lounge section the other day how a family member has just sadly died and how she would say, "Next year we will have an around the World cruise.." and well, next year never came and now things are too late. As is she. Which brought back memories of my old school motto, "Carpe Diem". Which kind of means don't put it off until tomorrow if you can do it today.

So, I have decided to get stuck back into some of my projects including this guitar.

Even though I have excellent pro-quality Devillbiss spray guns I have bought myself a cheap LVLP (low volume low pressure) to experiment with for this job. I only have a small 50-litre tanked compressor (which works great for small jobs) but I am interested to see if the lower CFM (cubic feet per minute) gun actually makes a difference or if it is just a hyped marketing ploy from the spray gun suppliers?

In the Cancer Sucks thread I also made comment about wanting or needing to buy another Les Paul. My wife tutted and rolled her eyes and asked me why I felt that I needed more guitars when I have two or three Les Pauls collecting dust in partially dismantled states.

So this guitar will be number one on the list to finish and then a DC single P90 Junior, then a late 70's/early 80's Deluxe/Standard thing.

I think my £600 plan will go out of the window as I am going to order some custom made PAF style pups from a local gent by the name of Alan Dingwall. His "Greeny" pups have been the most live-like ones that I have ever heard. I have said that I would buy some and put off and put off but this time I will make a purchase!

Check out this video for what I think are really cool LP tones.

https://www.google.com/search?q=you...ate=ive&vld=cid:42453544,vid:mOCOBuiqC4o,st:0

I am going to order some "Fake 58" aged Kluson tuners. Good enough for Joe Bonamassa to have on a 58/59 Les Paul, so good enough for me. And then I need some new but aged hardware.

As for "Carpe Diem" I am already going to put things off until Monday as I am baby sitting my two grandsons as I type this. :)

But come Monday I will be working on the guitar!!!!

Mr.Dingwall mailed me back almost immediately which I think shows that he will be nice to deal with.
Having said that, he could be an absolute ****head and I would still buy from him down to the sound quality and love that he puts into his pups.
And being patriotic, his pups are made in England. Not a popular thing to say in this day and age, but British craftsmanship at its best needs to be applauded, supported, and appreciated.

How did you get the white binding on there? (if I'm not mistaken, the original wine red studio would not have had binding?)

It looks outstanding by the way! I have a friend with a wine red studio and your yellow finish looks so much nicer!

How did you get the white binding on there? (if I'm not mistaken, the original wine red studio would not have had binding?)

It looks outstanding by the way! I have a friend with a wine red studio and your yellow finish looks so much nicer!
Hi @BBN thank you for the kind words.

The binding is simply the paint scraped off the maple top so is actually the maple. It is a common trick to do on a Studio when you refinish them.
I made a very simple tool to do this which I will take a photo of to share (probably tomorrow).

Back
Top Bottom