Programmed Midi Scene switching issue... HELP

Kalen Austin

I've currently got an AX8 and I'm setting it up to switch patches scenes from a midi output through Pro Tools. (Before anyone asks, I know it seems weird to have the AX8 and do midi switching, but the Axe Fx II XL is a little out of my budget for a little while, I will be getting one down the road however. )

The issue I have is that I cannot figure out how to make it switch scenes within a preset. The one I'm currently working with is in Bank 17, Preset 1. The manual tells me that to select this preset it's CC#1 Patch 1 (compensating for Pro Tools using 1-128 instead of 0-127)
PT Midi.PNG
fhIZs

Great, that works fine when I create that program change. No probs. Goes straight to the desired preset. But when I select CC#34 the AX8 changes to Bank 49 preset 1....
4gLzS

AX8 Edit Midi.PNG
Now I know that CC#34 is meant to default to scene switching, but I feel like I've totally misunderstood the way this works because that doesn't work for me, and I've checked the I/O settings to make sure "Scene Select" is set to 34.

Can someone please explain to me where I'm going wrong here? :-/

A CC command has a CC# and a value. CC#0 is what selects banks. You're sending a value of 1 for CC#0 in the first example, not CC#1.

It sounds like you created another program change with a bank select (CC#0) value of 34. That will work like any value of 3 or greater, and PC#000 will select bank 49 preset 1.

You need to find how to create a CC#34 command. The "Controller 0" field isn't going to accomplish that.

A CC command has a CC# and a value. CC#0 is what selects banks. You're sending a value of 1 for CC#0 in the first example, not CC#1.

It sounds like you created another program change with a bank select (CC#0) value of 34. That will work like any value of 3 or greater, and PC#000 will select bank 49 preset 1.

You need to find how to create a CC#34 command. The "Controller 0" field isn't going to accomplish that.

I've been doing some looking around and as far as I can see, the "Controller 0" field IS the CC number, which would make sense considering when I enter 1 in the "Controller 0" field, and patch 1 from the list, my AX8 switches to Bank 17 Patch 1, which is what the table in the manual says it should. To be honest I'm really new to this stuff so maybe I've misunderstood you, but as far as I can tell that's how it's supposed to work, it just isn't :-/

0 is the CC number. The field you can type in sets the value of CC#0. Channel (1-16), CC# (0-127) and value (0-127) are the three separate variables of a CC command.

To switch scenes you need to determine how to make it send CC#34. That would be done somewhere else. There might be more than one way to enter the data, but once done correctly it should be visible in a controller lane like the "mod wheel" data here. (Mod wheel = CC#1)

Back
Top Bottom