FM3 Problem with recordings, weird buzz/clipping sound occasionally

Can anyone help me with this (probably really stupid) problem. I am noticing random buzzing/crackling/clipping type of sounds from my recordings. First I though it was due to preset levels, but most of the times the presets are on par with the preset leveling tool in FM3 editor or peaking 2db over. I am recording through USB and monitoring from the headphones out at the same time. I am new to recording through USB, just used XLR before so perhaps it has something trivial related to that..? I don't hear this type of sound at all while playing, but only from the recordings

This clip was done after making sure the preset levels stayed below the line even during peaks, and still this weird noice.
Beware of unpleasant sound! Attached also a picture of the recording done this time with GarageBand.

Attachments

• weird sound.png
    weird sound.png
    229.9 KB · Views: 5
That might be, I was so focused on having everything right in the FM3 since I moved from AX8 and did not have such problems with the same computer, but perhaps the USB requires more from the cpu.. I have to investigate that further, but it should not run out I think..

thanks you for the insight!

I have Axe3 but I would imagine the advice would be the same for FM3: Try to keep cpu usage below 80% to avoid any chance of cpu based clipping.

For Axefx3, using AxeEdit adds some Cpu overhead - not sure about just a usb connection without AxeEdit open.

Sometimes cpu usage can increase as a patch is exercised, ie changing block channels / using modifiers.

Actually, now I understand that you meant the preset CPU and not computer, the preset has only 62-64% cpu usage when looking at it through FM3 edit.. so that can't be the cause either. I am quite strictly keeping the preset cpu below 80 always and this sound has happened with many different presets

Can't remember if FM3 has USB out meters - if yes, check these, even though you are 'below the line' on the main output.

if you don't hear it at all through FM3 headphone out - seems to point to the computer's cpu possibly being stressed or the DAW input is clipping somehow (u could put a meter on the front of the track to check that). Try making sure no other programs / plugins (including FM3 Edit) are running and see if it still occurs.

weird thing, tested yesterday with same and different preset and different DAW, used Pro Tools now. USB meters in FM3 still way below max levels, DAW meters around -12/-10db, no other softwares/plugins are running actively.

I am considering that I just don't know all the details in using usb in recording and how to do the setup (have to check if the fractal manuals provide some guidance to this), or then it is somehow the computers cpu and I must use xlr and external soundcard eventhough that adds unneccessary conversions to the signal chain.

Not yet, will try those as well. I guess previously they were enough of then my audio interface dealt with the problems as it was between ax8 and my computer but now its direct from fm3. I guess the buffer size doesn't really matter if I do the monitoring through FM3 headphones out at home

Sounds like a sample rate glitch sound (44.1kHz / 48kHz). Is your session matched with the 48KHz on the Fractal?

Back
Top Bottom