Problem with muddy tone from Axe-Fx 2 through Headrush frfr112

bassman89

A friend helped me develop a pretty killer high gain metal guitar tone with the Axe Fx 2, which came out great through a power amp and Mesa 2x12 cab. Unfortunately, when we ran it through my headrush frfr112 with a cab block, the tone just sounded muddy and muffled, as if most of the highs were drowned out. After trying it again today, the sound was actually decent at a lower volume, until the headrush volume was turned up about half way, to which I found myself again with the same problem. It gave me flashbacks of my solid state amp days lol. The clean tone also suffered in the same way. Has anyone ever had this problem, and/or has advice to help me out with it?
I'm not the most tech savvy person with the axe fx, admittedly, so please be patient with me if I have a hard time understanding any advice. I purchased it, as well as the headrush, mainly off the convenience of having all the effects and bass patches bundled into this godsend of an amp.

Adjust the low cut parameter in the cab block if you haven' t already done so, try 90 Hz as a starting point, adjust up or down between 80 Hz and 110 Hz to taste.

I had the same problem with my Axe II and the Headrush 112.
All the HPF and LPF couldnt help, ended up selling. I solely use my Axe II through tube power amp and cab because it sounds best. Sold the HR.
I suggest maybe saving up for an Xitone or Atomic wedge.

Those Headrush FRFRs have some really hyped low-end, even the 8" version. Our bass player is using one (8") as a wedge monitor. I had to cut a bunch of lows on the Aux send from our mixer. After that, it sounds better than our other monitors. Going to get me an 8" myself, maybe two for stereo?

Of course, you may still need to cut some low-end in your preset(s). The subs on the FOH will reveal that.

Those Headrush FRFRs have some really hyped low-end, even the 8" version. Our bass player is using one (8") as a wedge monitor. I had to cut a bunch of lows on the Aux send from our mixer. After that, it sounds better than our other monitors. Going to get me an 8" myself, maybe two for stereo?

Of course, you may still need to cut some low-end in your preset(s). The subs on the FOH will reveal that.

Agreed Moke, they are low hyped. They sound really great with low cut though. I have a pair of 108's I use at home.

If you are using one of the Axe-Fx II's outs as a dedicated send to the Headrush. And a different out for FOH/mixer, etc...

Start by getting a good baseline on the Headrush cab. Setup a shunt only preset (or via USB) and send some music that best represents what you play through the intended Output of Axe-Fx to the headrush. Adjust the Global EQ of that Axe-Fx Output, until it sounds pretty balanced at a typical gig volume. Maybe even setup the Headrush in a few different rooms to get a good average?

Now you have some basis to tell if the overall EQ of your preset(s) are in the ballpark. Good headphones, that you are used to, can also help with this, as it eliminates any room variables. But the final word is how it sounds at gig volume in the monitors.

I run a pair of 108's and can confirm they do have some hyped bass. I have mine on stands about 3 feet off the floor. If you need them on the floor or they are stuck in corners of a room, dial your global low EQ back or cut the bass response on the cabinet block. I usually cut the bass out of cab ir's anyway.

Thank you all for your help! I tweaked with a graphic EQ and think it did the trick. If there's still an issue, you'll hear from me again haha

Back
Top Bottom