Problem with Atomic CLR when rehearsing

coder2k

Hi all,

first I want to say that I reaaally like the sound of the Atomic CLR and I also love the playing feel, because it's just like playing in my home studio through my studio monitors. I experienced a problem in the rehearsal room though. I tried different positions but I could not find any that satisfied me and my bandmembers at the same time. We have a rather small room and play metal, so we got a really loud drum kit in there. The other guitarist and the bass player both play "classic" amps with cabs. When I find a position for the Atomic so that I can hear guitar really well, then nobody else hears it loud enough. When I turn the Atomic around so it points into the room or when I lay it behind me on it's side, then I can't get it loud enough for everybody because of feedback. Do you have any idea?

Does a second Atomic help to get it louder without having the feedback problems? I want to mention: I don't mean regular guitar feedback, but the feedback problem with FRFR speakers (it's described somewhere in the forum and I think it has to do with magnetic feedback with the tweeter coil or something). But I don't really know, if I WANT my guitar to be louder...placed in the right spot, I can hear my guitar perfectly.

Please help ;)

Cheers
Michael

Put it on stand....second atomic would definetaly solve your problem since u can face one to the band and one for yourself
but just cos of this reason a second one ?!!?? I am sure u will find a solution if u keep experimenting at the rehearsals

Thanks for the answers!
I had it lying on some shelf that is as high as a pole would be...didn't solve the feedback problem. Also I like the playing feel way more when it's lying on the ground. Any other suggestions?

IMO the CLR works best as a monitor, and in my band we use our monitor rig even for rehearsals, so if the other members want to hear me, they must turn up my signal in their floor monitor as well. If you want to compete with real amps in the room ,you should probably look at a solid state power amp such as the matrix and a traditional guitar cabinet. Again these are just my opinions, but after 6 months of gigging a pair of CLR's in a classic metal / hard rock cover band, this is my suggestion.

What kind of guitar are you using, pickups, settings? Are you getting non musical feedback, similar a microphone /PA feedback? Does the note change as you move closer and further away with strings damped? A high squeal?

It would be great if all the bandmembers would have their own monitoring system...but they don't. In our rehearsal room there's also a spare guitar amplifier and I was thinking about going into the FX loop with the AxeFX...the problem is, that I use quite a few effects AFTER the cab sim in my presets....so I don't know how that would translate if I disable the cab sim. I guess I should give it a try...

@BillyZeppa: Ibanez RGA8 with Lundgren M8 pickup. It's definately a non musical feedback and sounds exactly as described in that thread where Cliff said something about the tweeter coil and the feedback it produces. The feedback occurs mainly in little breaks between notes....e.g. in staccato rhythms. And yes, it's a high squeal ;)

You can put the cab after the effects. Cliff has said it doesn't really matter most of the time. Then put an effects loop right in front of the cab sim to send to out 2 & to the spare amp. There was a post on TGP by Jay Mitchell (who designed the CLRs) that said the best way to get the most even coverage is to put them on poles above ear level & use the FF setting. The thread was talking about filling a room & getting the best sound on stage & to the audience. The one thing that wasn't clear was above ear level of the performer or the audience??

Hi Coder, Mark Day made a suggestion for feedback SQUEAL. He attributes it to pick up rattle. He hot glues a small spot underneath the shell mount of the pick ups to the pick ups. No more rattle AND squeal!

It might be solved by having the pickup repotted. I had a couple bare knuckle pups that squealed like mad anytime the volume got turned up. I had them re wax potted and it all was gone. It's worth a shot and not too pricey to try

Thank you all for the suggestions! Tomorrow I'm gonna be at the rehearsal room and try out mounting the Atomic on a stand. Perhaps that will help.

The problem isn't the volume...I can get the Atomic as loud as the other amps, that's no problem. The problem is just that I couldn't find a position yet, so everyone can hear me. The room is small and full of stuff, so I can't simply put it where I think it should be. But perhaps tomorrow that's gonna change ;)

If it doesn't help then I will take a look at the pickups...

Thanks again, I'll keep you informed :)

The closer you are to the speaker the less coverage your are going to have, with any speaker for that matter. Pole mounting will get it where you need it but moving it as far from you as possible can in your small practice space will help as well for your band mates.

I Might Add, don't sit down (like I do) 10 feet away from the CLR's in wedge position. Altho the CLR has a wide sweet spot, its not "that" wide and will sound muddy. Once I turned the cab towards me (back line position) and flippy the switches, it was all good... :pride:

I just came back from the rehearsing room. My drummer said it would be much better. The only problem still is the feedback...I would like to turn up the volume a bit more, but then it doesn't stop squealing. Does waxing the PUs help even if it's this kind of feedback, that is only related to FRFR solutions? And what about musical feedback? Is it still possible after waxing?

We don't play ultra-loud...but we have to compete with the drum set somehow...
And even if we have a very skilled drummer who already keep's in mind the hole problem, the drums itself are just loud instruments. We are no teenie band anymore where louder is always better ;)
But yes, it's still a good advice!

It sounds like microphonic coupling if happens when you are away from the horn, and not electromagnetic, so i would try another guitar with waxed PUPs. What is the frequency range of the squealing?

Back
Top Bottom