Problem Using Scenes

Jalevinemd

Inspired
This isn't a bug or anything. Several of my presets (songs) have the following BLOCKS:

COM, DRV, DRV, CHO, PHA, FLG, DLY, REV

I set up the different SCENES accordingly for different parts in each of the songs. I always use STICKY SCENE MODE. If a particular PRESET only has 3 SCENES in it (which I assign to Footswitches 1-3) and during the song I accidentally step on footswitch 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8, every BLOCK in the PRESET engages and I get this horrible sound as you could imagine.

When using STICKY SCENE MODE, is there a simple way to have the Footswitches not assigned to a particular SCENE be deactivated, so that if you inadvertently step on one during the song nothing happens?

Hopefully this was clear. Sorry for any confusion.

i would suggest using FX8-Edit to copy and paste your main scene to those other ones.

a workflow i've been doing lately is to create my main scene as Scene 1. then immediately after, i right click on the Scene buttons in FX8-Edit and copy the scene. then i right-click the same place and "paste to all scenes."

with that, i at least have my "main" sound for that preset. know that if you add blocks after that though, they will default to ON in the other scenes. so you may just have to turn them off.

this topic has come up a lot and a solution always presented is to have blocks BYPASSED/OFF by default. but this might be strange as when you add a block, you typically want it on immediately.

i would suggest using FX8-Edit to copy and paste your main scene to those other ones.

a workflow i've been doing lately is to create my main scene as Scene 1. then immediately after, i right click on the Scene buttons in FX8-Edit and copy the scene. then i right-click the same place and "paste to all scenes."

with that, i at least have my "main" sound for that preset. know that if you add blocks after that though, they will default to ON in the other scenes. so you may just have to turn them off.

this topic has come up a lot and a solution always presented is to have blocks BYPASSED/OFF by default. but this might be strange as when you add a block, you typically want it on immediately.

Thanks Chris. The problem with this solution is that a song of mine with 4 different SCENES has different BLOCKS activated in each SCENE (obviously), so cutting and pasting SCENES will still give me something unwanted if I step on the wrong footswitch. Seems to me that if you're in SCENE MODE and haven't assigned a footswitch to a SCENE, it should do nothing when engaged. I basically want to deactivate the unnecessary footswitches (those not assigned to a SCENE) in each PRESET. If this isn't possible, then I guess I should move this to the Wish List.

What I do is this:

I either lay out songs so that the parts repeat in the pattern of the song... so literally

scene 1 intro
scene 2 verse
scene 3 chorus
scene 4 verse
scene 5 chorus
scene 6 middle 8
scene 7 outro

That way I kinda have everything mapped out and if I decide to change something for JUST eg verse 2 I can easily...

OR

I blank out all the unused scenes

I actually tend to blank out scene 8 on a LOT of presets so that I can always mute the guitar if need be. like at the end of a song...

The point is though, there's multiple solution; you'll need to try a few things that make sense to you and decide what your best solution is... and it MAY not be the same for every song...

Oh and I THINK your wish might be addressed in the new Firmware...

Seems to me that if you're in SCENE MODE and haven't assigned a footswitch to a SCENE, it should do nothing when engaged. I basically want to deactivate the unnecessary footswitches (those not assigned to a SCENE) in each PRESET. If this isn't possible, then I guess I should move this to the Wish List.
there is no "scene mode" technically speaking. there is a Scene Select "layer". i say it this way because you don't ever "enable" Scenes. all 8 Scenes are always active and available.

so switching to the Scene Select layer, you can definitely access the other Scenes that you just didn't happen to setup/program.

Thanks Chris. The problem with this solution is that a song of mine with 4 different SCENES has different BLOCKS activated in each SCENE (obviously), so cutting and pasting SCENES will still give me something unwanted if I step on the wrong footswitch.

that's why i mentioned you should copy and paste your Scene 1 at the beginning of the process. make S1, then copy paste everywhere. then program 2-4, or whatever you may use. doing that first means 5-8 - which you may never program - will at least be S1 if you accidentally step on it (or that old version of s1 when you did the copy/paste). this process obviously won't work if you've already setup your other Scenes. though you could 1 by 1 paste S1 to 5-8, or bypass everything in 5, then copy 5 to 6-8.

there is no "scene mode" technically speaking. there is a Scene Select "layer". i say it this way because you don't ever "enable" Scenes. all 8 Scenes are always active and available.

so switching to the Scene Select layer, you can definitely access the other Scenes that you just didn't happen to setup/program.

that's why i mentioned you should copy and paste your Scene 1 at the beginning of the process. make S1, then copy paste everywhere. then program 2-4, or whatever you may use. doing that first means 5-8 - which you may never program - will at least be S1 if you accidentally step on it (or that old version of s1 when you did the copy/paste). this process obviously won't work if you've already setup your other Scenes. though you could 1 by 1 paste S1 to 5-8, or bypass everything in 5, then copy 5 to 6-8.

This assumes the S1 isn't some crazy thing... I have a few where S1 is a bridge between the last song and the current song, if I were to put that on s5-8 I'd potentially send my rig into cuckoo mode... lol...

that's why I choose to wipe them so the worst I ever get is a dry guitar...

Unless I misunderstood you?

This assumes the S1 isn't some crazy thing... I have a few where S1 is a bridge between the last song and the current song, if I were to put that on s5-8 I'd potentially send my rig into cuckoo mode... lol...

that's why I choose to wipe them so the worst I ever get is a dry guitar...

Unless I misunderstood you?
ok then... copy paste your non-crazy thing first from whatever Scene it is. :)

it's just a workflow of putting something you expect on scenes you probably won't use. i too mute or "bypass" Scenes i don't use.

ok then... copy paste your non-crazy thing first from whatever Scene it is. :)

it's just a workflow of putting something you expect on scenes you probably won't use. i too mute or "bypass" Scenes i don't use.

sorry if I seemed argumentative... I just wanted to both make sure I understood what you meant... I Definitely bow to your far superior knowledge of this stuff!

sorry if I seemed argumentative... I just wanted to both make sure I understood what you meant... I Definitely bow to your far superior knowledge of this stuff!

Seriously...I wish I had Chris' expertise with this stuff. It's frustrating sometimes knowing what the FX8 can do with someone like him and and what it can do with someone like me. :D

I only need a few scenes per song, so I only use scenes 5-8. Scene 8 is always solo/boost.
Scenes 1-4 are used as variations of the main scenes.
No problems with accidentally stepping on the wrong footswitches here...

I only need a few scenes per song, so I only use scenes 5-8. Scene 8 is always solo/boost.
Scenes 1-4 are used as variations of the main scenes.
No problems with accidentally stepping on the wrong footswitches here...

Now that's what I need to do! I don't have any songs with more than five scenes each. If I used footswitches 5-8 on the lower tier instead of 1-4 on the upper tier, I think the chances of hitting an errant footswitch would go WAY down. Only problem is that I'm so used to thinking in terms of 1,2,3 and 4. I think having SCENE 1 and SCENE 2 correspond to switches 5 and 6 might confuse me...

If those GIGWRX labels that are coming out soon can be fitted with numbers, I could have the lower tier footswitches be 1-4 and the upper 5-8. Now we're cooking with gas!

Thanks guys.

It helps if the first scene that is selected when you change presets, is scene 5...
it's in the setup menu somewhere.
But with the new firmware that is coming this might all change...

Back
Top Bottom