FM3 Problem using FM3 with reaper …..

MikeJ90

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this issue……
So I'm using my FM3 as my audio interface directly into my laptop via usb to record. The DAW I’m using is Reaper and I have everything set up correctly and able to record but my issue is that when I hit the record (and only when I hit record) I get this slight echo/latency that isn’t present during playback or before I hit record button. Is this normal ?? I’m new to using a fractal and only used plugins up till now. Not sure if this is something I have to adjust in reaper or the fractal itself. I’ll attach my reaper preferences below

You're most likely hearing both the direct monitoring signal from the FM3 and the software monitoring feed from the DAW and the latency is causing the echo. Turn off software input monitoring in the Reaper track. Click the little speaker icon next to the red Record Arm button in the track until it says "Record Monitoring: OFF" in the tool tip when you hover the mouse over it. The speaker icon will be smaller and solid black when it's off in the current version of Reaper.

Last edited:
You're most likely hearing both the direct monitoring signal from the FM3 and the software monitoring feed from the DAW and the latency is causing the echo. Turn off software input monitoring in the Reaper track. Click the little speaker icon next to the red Record Arm button in the track until it says "Record Monitoring: OFF" in the tool tip when you hover the mouse over it. The speaker icon will be smaller and solid black when it's off in the current version of Reaper.

Yes that worked ! Never had to toggle that using amplitube 5. Thanks so much !

Live plugins like Amplitube require software monitoring, so they are set up a little differently. Your previous interface probably didn't have direct monitoring turned on. You can monitor like that with Fractal gear as well by setting the output mode to Mute in the I/O menu and turning software monitoring back on in Reaper, but you'll have more monitoring latency. Direct monitoring avoids all USB latency on your live signal from the grid. The only downside is you can't monitor DAW plugins live on your incoming guitar signal. Output plugins during playback will work fine either way.

Back
Top Bottom