Problem routing piezo through In/Out 2

Stringtheorist

Fractal Fanatic
I'm trying to run my guitar's piezo-acoustic pickup through the Effects Loop. Piezo -> Input 2 -> FX Loop -> Output 2 -> PA system. The routing in my FX chain is FX Loop -> Output (all the way to the right) but I get no signal from Output 2. What am I doing wrong in my FX chain?

Your FX loop block is not connected to the input matrix on the left is it?
Think this youtube video might give you some idea's to work with : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-4_EwLUOtA
And I think there is a pretty in depth explanation in the wiki as well.

Edit: Rereading your post and I notice you said "FX Loop -> Output (all the way to the right)".
Disconnect the FX loop block from the output matrix, and you should get sound out of output 2 to the PA (only).

Last edited:
The signal that arrives at the FXL block (from the previous column) is what goes to output 2. You need to use the feedback send & return blocks.

RTN-(effects here)-FXL-(or effects here)-SND

Set RTN mix to 100%. Don't place SND in the last column or connect it to anything else.

I'm still not getting a signal from Output 2. My signal chain is: Feedback RTN - PEQ - Rev (not connected to output) - Feedback SND. I have the input from the guitar to Input 2 L and the output from Output 2 L...?

My bad, was assuming you used output 2 for your PA connection. How are you connecting the Axe?
What input goes to the PA?

Double check that your plugged into input 2 left.

Trying to find some more info for you to work with.

Are you trying to run piezo and magnetic signals in parallel?
Or just the piezo signal in this patch?

Edit : Found some more in the wiki for you.
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/index....w_to_use_it_with_two_guitars_at_the_same_time

Last edited:
My bad, was assuming you used output 2 for your PA connection. How are you connecting the Axe?
What input goes to the PA?

Trying to find some more info for you to work with.
Are you trying to run piezo and magnetic signals in parallel?
Or just the piezo signal in this patch?
I'm running magnetic and piezo signals entirely separately. Mags on In/Out 1 and Piezo on In/Out 2.
I'm confused now. Do i need to add Effects Loop, Feedback Rtn and Feedback Snd bocks all in the signal path? Which block goes where? Do I need anything at all connected to the Input or Output sections in the FX Matrix?

According to the youtube vid, you would not need the feeback/return construction.
Stringtheorist is speaking of a parallel signal line. Judging from his last response.

The start of his piezo line would be the FX loop (input 2).This block should not be connected to the input matrix. Otherwise the Axe won't recognize the separate signal coming in. Not connecting the output of the FX loop block to the output matrix should send the signal out of output 2. (According to wiki and manual.) As was said before, check your soft- and hardware levels. Do you see the leds for in- and output 2 light up?
Hope it's not a crazy thing like a dead battery from your piezo preamp or a broken cable though.

According to the youtube vid, you would not need the feeback/return construction.

You do if you want to use Input 2 and Output 2 in the way he asked, as a separate I/O pair. The only way to use Input 2 for anything is to place the FXL block in the preset. If the FXL block is in the preset, only what arrives at FXL from the previous column goes to Out 2. To have something leave FXL, go through effects and get back to FXL from the other side, you need the send & return.

If you want to use In 2 for piezo and get the result at Output 1 (out 2 remaining unused), you can place FXL somewhere and route normally through fx to the end of the layout.

You do if you want to use Input 2 and Output 2 in the way he asked, as a separate I/O pair. The only way to use Input 2 for anything is to place the FXL block in the preset. If the FXL block is in the preset, only what arrives at FXL from the previous column goes to Out 2. To have something leave FXL, go through effects and get back to FXL from the other side, you need the send & return.
So where do the SND and RTN blocks go?

Do you see the leds for in- and output 2 light up?
Hope it's not a crazy thing like a dead battery from your piezo preamp or a broken cable though.
The battery's fine because I can get a perfectly good piezo output on Output 1 if I route it there. Yes, Input 2 and Output 2 are turned up and I have healthy LED signal for Input 2.

If you want to use In 2 for piezo and get the result at Output 1 (out 2 remaining unused), you can place FXL somewhere and route normally through fx to the end of the layout.

Very clear, thanks.

Pity that using FXL this way (everything to Out1) is that Copy Out1 > Out2 won't work anymore.

How is your input 2 configured? Left/mono, sum L+R, stereo?
How did you set your volume and balance levels in the FXL block?

How can RTN be in the first column if my signal path has to start with the FX Loop and avoid being connected to Input? Seems to be there's a lot of conflicting info here...

Last edited:
RTN being set to 100% mix will cause it to only output whatever reached SND. Your signal begins by leaving the FXL block, goes to SND which "transmits" it to the RTN, leaves RTN and reaches FXL again.

Attachments

• in2out2.syx
    2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom