Problem recording via apogee jam and iPad

Whistler

Inspired
image.jpeg

hi guys, hope this is in the correct place, but obviously move if needed.

Ok, so I'm only a small time "bedroom warrior" so haven't spent much money on recording gear, as it's only a bit of fun to upload to soundcloud for some friends and family to listen to. I'm using the above apogee jam to connect the axe XL to an iPad using garage band.

I've got Fremen's presets, which sound totally awesome via headphones straight into the axe and also from output 1& 2 at the rear feeding a power amp and 2 cabs. This has stereo ping pong left to right channels and has a full stereo effect (sonic heaven).

BUT, if I want to use the apogee jam I can either plug it into the headphone socket on the axe using a TRS cable, which is my main way, or use output 2 on the rear and I get a problem which was highlighted by Fremen's Brighton Rock preset. In "normal" listening conditions the delay repeats go left right left right. But when listening via iPad I'm total missing one side of repeats although what I can hear comes through both ears, as if a mono signal is being bounced down to stereo. The only way I can hear both all repeats is to change (in I/o menu) the output 1 from stereo to "sum L+R". But this sound is straight down the middle with no stereo separation. When I listen to others soundcloud or YouTube clips I get proper stereo ( different channels)

Basically, what I hear out of the headphone socket is different when recording via apogee jam and iPad.

This is not an axe fx issue ,as it all works and sounds correctly when used on its own. It's either the recording hardware or user error :)
I've probably worded this in an over complicated way, English is my first and only language :) hope it makes sense to someone, and hopefully get some advice.

The Apogee Jam is a mono recording interface. You can record the left side of the sound and miss the right side echoes, or you can record the 2 sides in mono, but you cannot record in stereo using the Jam.

The Apogee Jam is a mono recording interface. You can record the left side of the sound and miss the right side echoes, or you can record the 2 sides in mono, but you cannot record in stereo using the Jam.

Ah, many thanks. A very precise answer to a very long winded question. :)

you would want the Apogee ONE for stereo inputs... The Jam would work great plugging your guitar directly and using a Amplifier software.

Back
Top Bottom