Probably the most interesting guitarist today

Asato is also versatile. I've seen a video of him doing straight up shred as well, with flawless hand synchronization and right hand technique. That's sort of like Picasso: verifiably can paint super technical stuff, but chooses not to. But I'd say musically he's less accessible to the layperson. A guitarist's guitarist. Fine with me!
I think he is amazing and have seen many videos with him alone. His playing style reminds me a lot of Lara Basilio. Or her style reminds me of him. either way. Not a contest. I remember\understand your posts in that thread. I am talking about their approach to the guitar-both obviously have jazz in their background and probably classical. You can see it all in the fluid chord melodies with fingers to riffs with the pick. So fluid. Isn't he from Brazil also? iirc?
On a different note, and I do not mean you. Folks talk about shredding quite often here. I have to wonder how many of those have actually heard someone like Lee Ritenour (sp?) and other killer jazz players who were shredding melodies decades and decades ago. Wasn't called shredding then?

It's such a great time to be a musician. Thanks to the internet were able to see how much talent there is. I've always believed that there's an overwhelming amount of amazing musicians. Now we just have a platform to see it.

I'm a big fan of polyphia. As a guitarist, my most recent and biggest challenge is phrasing on the spot. When I first started I wanted to play nothing but arpeggios and play as fast as possible.

When I first saw Govan, everything changed for me. I find myself listening to "older" rock. It's been a huge challenge to slow down and sound "musical". This last part has nothing to do with the video or polyphia but apparently I felt the need to share lol

Last edited:
@Stratman68 the main thing I dislike about jazz is it doesn't have the buildup/release. This is a separate issue from note choice. You can have jazz-like note choice and crazy chords and still have rock-like buildup/release. Good example of this is my favorite jazz pianist: Hiromi Uehara. God damn the woman can play. But I find that "canonical" jazz and fusion suffer from this a lot. To me they just sort of meander all over the place without getting anywhere. Which, to be clear, is not a flaw in itself - some people like that kind of thing, just not me.

@Stratman68 the main thing I dislike about jazz is it doesn't have the buildup/release. This is a separate issue from note choice. You can have jazz-like note choice and crazy chords and still have rock-like buildup/release. Good example of this is my favorite jazz pianist: Hiromi Uehara. God damn the woman can play. But I find that "canonical" jazz and fusion suffer from this a lot. To me they just sort of meander all over the place without getting anywhere. Which, to be clear, is not a flaw in itself - some people like that kind of thing, just not me.
OK. But "Jazz" is not a term that encompasses every sort of Jazz or every jazz player. I know what you mean though. I am not a big fan of jazz unless it is something that really grabs me. Jeff Golub, RIP, was the type of player you mention. Never boring or repetitious. Actually one of my all time favorite guitar players ever. Jazz player at heart, but he touched it all. Larry Carlton. Jazz player who arguably played 1 if not 2 of the most iconic solos ever. we are in agreement except for one small thing. I don't consider Lara Basilio a "Jazz" player. I consider her a great guitarists...... :)

That's a pretty broad statement for a really huge genre. There's so many different styles and players. I don't see how you could argue something like this doesn't have buildup/release:

Come on guys, stop nitpicking, you know exactly what I meant, you just want to argue. Yes, there are exceptions within the genre, I've pointed out one myself. Case in point:

Insane buildup and release towards the end. Every time she's in town I go and watch her destroy the piano.

Come on guys, stop nitpicking, you know exactly what I meant, you just want to argue. Yes, there are exceptions within the genre, I've pointed out one myself. Case in point:

Insane buildup and release towards the end. Every time she's in town I go and watch her destroy the piano.

In all honesty, your statement was a broad characterization. I do not want to argue. Don't think anyone else wants to either. we all have opinions as it should be. To say everyone knew exactly what you meant, but "everyone else" just wants to argue; seems to be well, argumentative . ;)

Back
Top Bottom