Probably stupid question on connecting Line out from real amp (Mark V) into AXE FX 2 XL

Lkdog

Power User
I will try and be clear, but this is kind of new to me.

1) I am running a Line Out level signal from my Mesa Mark V head into the INPUT 1 (L/Mono) on back of AXE.
2) The Line Out signal from the Mesa needs to have a CAB or IR applied to it.
3) I set up a simple preset in AXE EDIT with a CAB (and chorus and delay also by not needed).
4) My guitar is plugged into the front of the Mesa head.
5) In the I/O screen on the AXE, I have INPUT 1 LEFT Select 1 to REAR
6) There is a signal input as I see the green meters on front and I can hear the signal through the headphones where I am using the headphone input of the AXE FX.

Sounds very good actually. When I add the delay or chrous for fun it is really good.:sunglasses:

Ok....................so far so good EXCEPT.................

7) I am not getting the sound sent out from AXE from OUTPUT 2 which goes to my Mackie mixer which is my normal output when I use the Instrument input for guitar into the AXE FX.

8) I have fooled around with various settings on the OUTPUTS for the AXE with no luck.

I am obviously doing something wrong in how I have the I/O settings set, or how I set up the preset in AXE EDIT.

9) Ideally I would like to use this for silent practice with the Mesa and also
10) If possible silent recording via either analog out or digital out.

Sorry if I am doing something stupid here. I read the WIki which is awesome, have had an Ultra and Axe 2, and now AXE 2 XL for years.
This is first time I have tried something like this. :blush:

Any help is appreciated.

Did you try to put an FX SEND block in parallel after the last effect, that should route the signal to OUTPUT 2

Yeah either use the FX Loop block to send the signal to Output 2, or set Output 2 to echo Output 1 in the I/O menu.

Which line out are you using? Do you mean the slave out? You will still need some kind of speaker load on the amp so you don't damage the amp I believe.

Just checking but you do have a load box on your Mark V head speaker output right? Not that it would affect the issue you are having, just want to make sure your don't blow your Mesa up.

Which line out are you using? Do you mean the slave out? You will still need some kind of speaker load on the amp so you don't damage the amp I believe.

Yes SLAVE OUT.
Sorry. I should have been more specific.

I have the amp head still hooked up to a real CAB.
If I can get this working, I will grab a loadbox of some type for the speaker out from the MESA head, correct?
Then I can do the silent playing/recording?

Just checking but you do have a load box on your Mark V head speaker output right? Not that it would affect the issue you are having, just want to make sure your don't blow your Mesa up.

LOL. Yeah. See above. I did read that part in the Meas manual. :D

Yeah either use the FX Loop block to send the signal to Output 2, or set Output 2 to echo Output 1 in the I/O menu.[/QUOTE

That is how it is setup normally for me. I will doublecheck that.

Did you try to put an FX SEND block in parallel after the last effect, that should route the signal to OUTPUT 2

Not sure how to do the FX Loop send in AXE EDIT, but will give that a try.

Will report back. I am getting the signal to the AXE- just not out. :(

Got it!!

I did a unit restore to start from scratch and simply set the input to REAR, and the Output 2 to echo Output 1 and was good to go.

It sounds really good. This Mark V is like a tube amp hardware modeler.

I just need a loadbox now and can use the Mesa silently when I want.

Thanks!

I know you've spent a lot of money on your Mark V and want to use it.. but I would suggest you try to see if you get the same sound from the Mark models in the AXE-FX and bypass the amp entirely, especially for silent playing and recording.
We have Mark IV, IIC+/IIC++ and Tri-axis models in the AXE-FX that all sound fantastic for those Mark5 type of sounds.
If it turns out you can't get your sound, fine buy the loadbox, but I would suggest saving some pennies and not using the Mark V at all if it will work for you - at least give it a try.

This is from a Mesa Roadster & Rev-F Rectifier owner. They are both dusty & sitting in the corner neglected.

I know you've spent a lot of money on your Mark V and want to use it.. but I would suggest you try to see if you get the same sound from the Mark models in the AXE-FX and bypass the amp entirely, especially for silent playing and recording.
We have Mark IV, IIC+/IIC++ and Tri-axis models in the AXE-FX that all sound fantastic for those Mark5 type of sounds.
If it turns out you can't get your sound, fine buy the loadbox, but I would suggest saving some pennies and not using the Mark V at all if it will work for you - at least give it a try.

This is from a Mesa Roadster & Rev-F Rectifier owner. They are both dusty & sitting in the corner neglected.

I like both for sure. I get better cleans with a real amp to be honest and just like the feel of playing a real amp still sometimes. I will say this most recent firmware is the best.

I got the Mark V head used for a lot less than the Axe Fx 2 XL so no worries there.
I still like messing around with tubes and it stays in my studio so no lugging around.
I like playing the Axe best out of my real Cab.

I guess I like blurring the modeler and amp worlds. LOL.
We have a lot of choices!!

I like both for sure. I get better cleans with a real amp to be honest and just like the feel of playing a real amp still sometimes. I will say this most recent firmware is the best.

I got the Mark V head used for a lot less than the Axe Fx 2 XL so no worries there.
I still like messing around with tubes and it stays in my studio so no lugging around.
I like playing the Axe best out of my real Cab.

I guess I like blurring the modeler and amp worlds. LOL.
We have a lot of choices!!
It's good to have choices!
In case you didn't know, Fractal have a load box coming out soon- https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/in-the-spirit-of-namm-anouncements.123378/

Interesting! I also have mark V and axe XL. I have been thinking about selling the XL for a long time. I only use its IIc+ models, an IR and a delay. So axe has more power than I need. More importantly, I have been struggeling big time with the models.

If I sell the axe I can get a recifier pre amp, a triaxis, a delay and a soundcard. I would like to test how much latency I get if I use a software IR loader in cubase 9....routing question: can I kill the direct monitoring of the axe fx?

An alternative to software loader would be an IR pedal, like 2 notes cab and others. But strangely none of them have low cuts or hi cuts, which to me is essential to sound good. So my best bet would be software as long as latency is good. I have read that IR's are latency heavy.

Anyone with experience?

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom