Probably simple - multitrack question

Disconnector

Inspired
I'm using my AXE3 to record some fairly interesting ambient music right now. I've built a toolchain using a bunch of external pedals and pretty much all of the CPU power of the Axe to create a cool evolving soundscape a la Mick Gordon (minus the pentagrams). I have all three of the external send/returns in use looping in pedals and rack effects (ground loops may end up killing me) and presently it's all outputting through out 1 in stereo via USB to Logic for recording. I'd really like to be able to record each return separately so I can have some control over the remix later.

So the question is - can you send stereo return 2, 3, and 4 as different tracks to Logic? I know I can do it with an external interface - but can't figure out how to get the Axe to send them all via USB. Is it possible?

You can't send them all. While the Axe III has 8 in and 8 out via USB, they are dedicated to specific sources.

From the manual:
1679067567368.png

You can only record processed audio from the Out 1 and Out 2 blocks. The other inputs are for capturing DI tracks from the input jacks.

Sigh. External interface insanity it is then . . . man it would be so much easier if the Axe could do this. I'd love to program the mixer and effects send/return volumes and pan to some LFO awesomeness! Plus, I wanted to use Axe effects on the individual returned signals.

Wish list item I guess . . . thank you mr. Fender!

I'm using my AXE3 to record some fairly interesting ambient music right now. I've built a toolchain using a bunch of external pedals and pretty much all of the CPU power of the Axe to create a cool evolving soundscape a la Mick Gordon (minus the pentagrams). I have all three of the external send/returns in use looping in pedals and rack effects (ground loops may end up killing me) and presently it's all outputting through out 1 in stereo via USB to Logic for recording. I'd really like to be able to record each return separately so I can have some control over the remix later.

So the question is - can you send stereo return 2, 3, and 4 as different tracks to Logic? I know I can do it with an external interface - but can't figure out how to get the Axe to send them all via USB. Is it possible?

Could you post a pic of your routing in the Axe III plus all connections of the gear?

We could probably make it happen depending on how many of the Ins and Outs you are using, by running one of your stereo returns plus Axe processing to Out 1, a second stereo return plus Axe processing to Output 2, both via USB to DAW, and then make your third return a mono signal path which you could send out to Output 4 R, and then plug that output back into Input 1 of the Axe which could then be treated as a "DI" straight to DAW via USB (which would mean an extra round of conversion), and you would need to use a different input for your first connection from guitar to Axe.

Back
Top Bottom