Pro Tools?

Just discovered this, kind of shocked. I thought providing an AXX version of a plugin was pretty standard in 2024, free or not.

I find I rather shocking that in 2024, Pro Tools architecture still needs its own special plugin.
Thats like saying you find it shocking that Audi has their own module that communicates with the suspension's sensors of the vehicle to the main central processor.

Avid has to do that because aax is a protocol designed to make it extremely hard to make cracked plugins work in. Pretty genius if you ask me and that's one of the many reasons why it's still the industry standard by a long shot. And another reason why I am completely flabbergasted why Fractal is not a big fan of avid. Or so Ive seen stated by other members several times.

And this is also why companies pay into Avid's aax protocol and why it's supported very well as the industry standard. And again, one of many many reasons.

Thats like saying you find it shocking that Audi has their own module that communicates with the suspension's sensors of the vehicle to the main central processor.

Avid has to do that because aax is a protocol designed to make it extremely hard to make cracked plugins work in. Pretty genius if you ask me and that's one of the many reasons why it's still the industry standard by a long shot. And another reason why I am completely flabbergasted why Fractal is not a big fan of avid. Or so Ive seen stated by other members several times.

And this is also why companies pay into Avid's aax protocol and why it's supported very well as the industry standard. And again, one of many many reasons.

Gosh. Silly me.

No problem. You are welcome to the Church of Avid Technology anytime you are ready for your conversion.

Ah, no no, you misunderstand. I grew weary of the archaic Avid nonsense 4 years ago and abandoned PT altogether except for the occasional collaboration. No amount of coaxing would ever convince me to go back.

Ah, no no, you misunderstand. I grew weary of the archaic Avid nonsense 4 years ago and abandoned PT altogether except for the occasional collaboration. No amount of coaxing would ever convince me to go back.
Dude that was just a joke. I don't need to convince anyone.

For me the technology is reliable and solid as a tank and it usually will be if you are using an avid-approved computer. I wouldn't use anything else for pro recording, production, mixing or mastering. But if you don't need like 15+ mics happening with dsp plugins active at 0.7ms latency or less (round trip AD to DAW to DA) then you may not need to depend on it. But even for production and mixing I have not had anything that reliably delay compensates across the entire session without a glitch so to me it's a no brainer. But I respect your opinion.

But if you don't like Avid then I recommend to use studio one. I use it for pre-production and to lay down basic ideas. It's light on system resources and loads fast. So far it's been the only non-avid DAW in the quick and light department that I can have respect for. Presonus knocked it out of the park with this at 6.5 and it's a no-brainer if you are not on Avid.

Their drum view also rules so I don't have to fire up all the HD racks just to punch in drums on custom color coded/sized midi tracks (which no other daw had till now with Studio one). You can hide articulations too and rearrange the note rows vertically in a drum version view of the piano midi track and even name the note-rows. It's an incredible light Daw for native.

Last edited:
I have to be honest and agree with RackAddict. I have never had one issue with Pro Tools in my studio. It is rock solid for me. I see many have issues that I simply have not had. I do believe though, since I have been using it since version 7, that once you learn one, it is very hard to move away. I have tried many. It just feels like home and I am very quick on it at this point. I do have issues with Avid and its upgrade costs (I have perpetual licenses). That I do understand the hate for.

Speaking of avid, Crosses brought a mad mad avid pro tools board to Toronto for their live sound engineer and I've never heard that good live sound before in my life. The whole show sounded like it was run in LCR mode and was pure silk.

IMG_20240216_2056376.jpg

I have to be honest and agree with RackAddict. I have never had one issue with Pro Tools in my studio. It is rock solid for me. I see many have issues that I simply have not had. I do believe though, since I have been using it since version 7, that once you learn one, it is very hard to move away. I have tried many. It just feels like home and I am very quick on it at this point. I do have issues with Avid and its upgrade costs (I have perpetual licenses). That I do understand the hate for.
I have been using ProTools for a really, really long time, both at home and in high quality professional studios with very expensive HDX systems.

There is rarely a session I've been part of that didn't have some PT head-scratching moment or other.

When it works I think it's great. When it's being finicky (which seems often) it really sucks!

I have been using ProTools for a really, really long time, both at home and in high quality professional studios with very expensive HDX systems.

There is rarely a session I've been part of that didn't have some PT head-scratching moment or other.

When it works I think it's great. When it's being finicky (which seems often) it really sucks!
All DAWs crash. There's all sorts of misinfo online about people claiming some DAWs being more stable than others for who knows what reason. I would put my money on Avid any day. You just need to go through the recommended avid optimizations and get one of their approved machines or something as similar as possible. In other words use nvidia quadro video cards only.

All DAWs crash. There's all sorts of misinfo online about people claiming some DAWs being more stable than others for who knows what reason. I would put my money on Avid any day. You just need to go through the recommended avid optimizations and get one of their approved machines or something as similar as possible. In other words use nvidia quadro video cards only.
I'm mostly talking about professionally built and maintained HDX studio systems, not someone's homegrown DAW rig.

I also didn't say anything about crashes, nor was I trying to claim ProTools is ((or is not) less stable than other DAWs.

I'm simply saying that it can and does have issues and idiosyncrasies.

In general, I like ProTools but claiming it's problem free is a stretch...

Back
Top Bottom