Pro Tools Reamp Help

Webb

Power User
I'd like to think I'm fairly gear/computer literate, but for some reason I hit a roadblock every time I try to reamp. I'm just not getting it. Here are the steps I've taken so far. Maybe someone can tell me where I'm going wrong...

* Inputs in Pro Tools using the Axe Fx as my only interface show:
Input / Front L
Front R / Center

* Create 3 new stereo tracks in Pro Tools
Track 1 (Wet): Input / Front Left
Track 2 (DI): Front Right / Center
Track 3 (Processed): Input / Front Left (??? not really sure what to select here)

* I record and get the wet sound on Track 1 and the DI is clearly on Track 2.

* Go to I/O on the Axe FX and change "Main Input Source" to USB.

* Next, I mute Track 1, hit play and can alter the recorded DI sound by changing presets on the Axe Fx. All good so far, except...

* Once I go into record mode I get terrible feedback and it sounds nothing like it just did while previously auditioning sounds.

So I'm kind of at a stand still. I've tried various inputs & outputs and get nothing but feedback and noise while in record. The only way to stop the feedback is to take it out of record mode. Can someone please give me some advice? Bonus points for a detailed you tube vid. :)

By the way, I'm on a 2010 iMac i7 10.6.8 if that matters.

C'mon...I'm jealous of all you guys reamping. That was one of the main selling points for me, but apparently I'm not smart enough to figure it out.

Maybe a full blown tutorial is asking too much, but maybe someone can answer this... how do I send the dry track out to the Axe Fx II? In other words, what should the inputs and outputs be set to in my DAW (Pro Tools)?

I had the same issue. I had to change the output on the reamped track to Bus 1-2 to get it to record without all the noise. Then change it back to Output 0-1 once it's recorded. I also have to switch the Main Input Source on the Axe and then restart Pro Tools each time I change it to USB or back to analog. I don't have any issues with Reaper though. I'm on a PC though.

Thanks for your help! Unfortunately, I still can't get any processed sound on the reamp track. Tried your suggestion of changing the out on the reamp track to Bus 1-2 but I didn't get any signal at all. If I change the out of the DI track to Bus 1-2 and the in of the reamp track to Bus 1-2 I can record a signal on the reamp track...and I am hearing the processed sounds through my monitors, but when I play it back I get the dry, DI sound on both tracks. Maybe I'll try Reaper to see if I have any success there.

Anyone else a Pro Tools user?

Hey Webb. I am doing reamping in PT. To start, for reamping you only need two tracks - one for the dry signal and one for the wet which will capture the output of the AF2 signal chain. For me, the wet corresponds to inputs 0&1 and the dry to inputs 2&3 in Pro Tools. Next make sure your dry track output is set to Main LR. (if you set it to output to Bus 1&2 and then set the wet track to input from Bus 1&2, all you are doing is recording the dry signal again to your wet track). Also make sure that you mute all tracks other than your dry track while reamping.
From what I can tell, all sound playing back via Main LR will be run through the AF2 signal chain so keep them all muted other than the dry. Seems this is where you were going wrong possibly. From your description above looks like you had a third track that was not muted. I have not been able to find a way to select a particular track as the source for reamping and still play back other tracks at the same time. If this possible, would love to hear how from other members.

Do you guys get latency when recording and reamping via USB? I am having some PT issues too. After recording along to rhythm tracks my guitar track was out of sync by a lot...

Hey Webb. I am doing reamping in PT. To start, for reamping you only need two tracks - one for the dry signal and one for the wet which will capture the output of the AF2 signal chain. For me, the wet corresponds to inputs 0&1 and the dry to inputs 2&3 in Pro Tools. Next make sure your dry track output is set to Main LR. (if you set it to output to Bus 1&2 and then set the wet track to input from Bus 1&2, all you are doing is recording the dry signal again to your wet track). Also make sure that you mute all tracks other than your dry track while reamping.
From what I can tell, all sound playing back via Main LR will be run through the AF2 signal chain so keep them all muted other than the dry. Seems this is where you were going wrong possibly. From your description above looks like you had a third track that was not muted. I have not been able to find a way to select a particular track as the source for reamping and still play back other tracks at the same time. If this possible, would love to hear how from other members.

Thanks so much for your help with my reamping issues. Unfortunately, I'm still stuck at the "reamp" part. I am able to record a wet sound from inputs 0&1 (it's actually named a little differently on my iMac, but it's the same thing) and a dry sound from inputs 2&3.

When I change the i/o on the Axe FX input to "USB" and mute everything but the DI track, I can then audition various sounds (the dry sound is being processed through the Axe FX and then I can hear the different reamped sound out of my monitors when I change presets).

What I can't figure out is how to record, or "commit" this processed (reamped) sound to a new track in PT. Any kind of routing I do results in either no signal or horrible feedback.

BTW, I was able to successfully record the reamped signal in Reaper so it's definitely a PT routing issue that I'm missing.

I followed this here from the matching thread on the DUC forum. Maybe I'm missing something here but you should just create a new stereo track in Pro Tools set the track inputs to the appropriate USB outputs of the Axe-FX that are carrying your reamped signal and set the output of that track to be "no output"... the last part is what I suspect you have wrong and why you are getting feedback effects. Record arm that track. Press record. Press play...

You may be able to get this working as well using Aggregate I/O and using your iMac built in output to a pair of monitors. That way you can more easilly monitor all the mix as you play with the reamping. To do this you don't mute all the other tracks, just route them to the aggregate I/O main out and the one you want to reamp route that I/O to the Axe-Fx. And as a disclaimer and as I mentioned on DUC, I don't have an Axe-FX II to test any of this with.

Also relevant here are you play around may be understanding what Input only/Auto input monitoring settings e.g. see auto-input-and-input-only-monitoring

Darryl

Darryl, as I mentioned on the DUC - thanks for all your help! I plan on giving all your suggestions a try tonight and hopefully will get this sorted out.

I was having trouble reamping in Pro Tools but have now realised what I was doing wrong and have got it to work, so wanted to replace my previous post and share my experience.

I could record the wet and dry signals but couldn't see how to route my dry signal back through the Axe Fx and commit that reamped sound to a track. Turned out the issue was I was using the Axe Fx II ASIO drivers under Setup/Playback Engine engine when I should have been using the ASIO4ALLv2 aggregate device I'd set up, which consists of Axe FX Inputs 1-4, Axe Fx Outputs 1-2, and my laptop speakers outputs 1-2. If you don't set up an aggregate device, you can't see your Axe Fx output and your monitor speakers at the same time in the output selection options.

So with the correct playback engine selected, once I'd used Inputs 3-4 to record my dry guitar to a track, it's just a case of setting that track's Output to Axe Fx II Audio Out (now visible as I'm using ASIO4All); then creating a new track for reamping with Input set to Input 1 and Output set to my laptop speakers. Arm the reamp track for recording, and on the Axe hardware press the I/O button and change the 'Main Input Source' option to USB, and you're done!

Thanks to Justin Aiken for his Reaper reamp guide posted here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/39503-tutorial-how-setup-reamping-reaper-mac.html , as it was only by downloading Reaper and following the guide that it helped me understand where I'd been going wrong in PT9.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom