Pro tip: Don't use a hold function for the 'Record' switch in the looper.

Ugly Bunny

Power User
Spent WAY too much time diagnosing this issue lol. I kept wondering why the recording/playback was always off by just a little. Turns out the record button doesn't respond well to having a hold function assigned, as I imagine, it's waiting to see if I'm holding or tapping before executing its function.

I'm sure this is in the manual or all over this forum, but in case you missed it, here's you PSA for the day. Cheers!

Yes, please review a section in your owner's manual called "The Rules of Switch Timing" (p. 70)
Also note that the factory default Looper layout does not have a hold function on RECORD.
(It does, however, unavoidably have a separate hold function on PLAY, so you should ideally set Looper Record 2nd Tap to PLAY and use that to end your recordings.)

This was very helpful, but I'm still running into an issue. If I remove the hold function on the 2nd switch, I totally lose my only way of getting back to "layout." I lose the function of the hold. Which means you lose the chance of full navigation without having to go manual. Is there a way to keep the default functions of all three switches? 1st and 3rd for increasing, decreasing, then 2nd for layout?

Yes, please review a section in your owner's manual called "The Rules of Switch Timing" (p. 70)
Also note that the factory default Looper layout does not have a hold function on RECORD.
(It does, however, unavoidably have a separate hold function on PLAY, so you should ideally set Looper Record 2nd Tap to PLAY and use that to end your recordings.)

You must have missed the key, it's page 80 of the FM3 Owners Manual, (and page 86 of the PDF version).

The short answer is without a hold function, the switch fires when it's pressed.
With a hold function, it fires when it's released, unless you hold it longer than the configured time (0.5s by default), in which case it fires the hold function.

You could theoretically get good at timing your releases, but you've got a tiny window. At 120 BPM you've got one beat of window, so if you press on the leading 8th then release on beat you should be able to get it consistent.

Yep, I totally get that. But my issue is that now I've lost what the hold function on the 2nd switch did, which is navigate back to layout. So how can I freely navigate only through the switches back to presets, scenes, etc? It's like I need a 4th pedal. There has to be a way to use the looper without a hold function but still be able to rely solely on pedals to navigate, without having to go into FM3 Edit or the UI to retrace back to the scenes. There's no other way to get to scenes if you disable the hold function.

Yep, I totally get that. But my issue is that now I've lost what the hold function on the 2nd switch did, which is navigate back to layout. So how can I freely navigate only through the switches back to presets, scenes, etc? It's like I need a 4th pedal. There has to be a way to use the looper without a hold function but still be able to rely solely on pedals to navigate, without having to go into FM3 Edit or the UI to retrace back to the scenes. There's no other way to get to scenes if you disable the hold function.
Maybe flip-flop the tap and hold so Record is the hold function, so you can step on it and hold it, then release on cue to record?

Okay, thanks. I figured there might not be a better soluiton. Hard to change looper habits after a lot of years. I might have to go with the FM9 or an external looper.

While I like the idea of upgrading to an FM9 because there are many other benefits as well, here are some other ideas to consider first.

1. Add an external switch. Set it up to display the Master Layout menu so you can remove the hold functions from Switch 2 in all layouts.
Check out page 88 of the FM3 Owners Manual: https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/FM3/FM3-Owners-Manual.pdf

Alternately, you could use a pair of external switches to operate the looper on tap with no hold functions.

2. Add an FC6 instead.

Thank you very much for your help. One last thing... slightly unrelated... do you think the FM9 is more future proof? I'm still within my 15 day trial window, so strongly considering the switch.

Thank you very much for your help. One last thing... slightly unrelated... do you think the FM9 is more future proof? I'm still within my 15 day trial window, so strongly considering the switch.
If you are in the return window, have the extra scratch, and are wondering - there's more to the 3 -> 9 upgrade than 6 more switches. LOTS more. Dual amp blocks and Cab blocks is quite a boost, more processing power to make more complex presets, and a host of other things. Downside is, only one switch per pedal jack and no big screens at the switches yet.

It might be a better fit to exchange for the FM9 if those extras inside would be beneficial to you. Otherwise, an FC6 gives you the extra switches and pedal jacks and has the bigger switch label screens...

Oh, man! Decisions. I think for the extra money, I'd go with the FM9 over the FC6. Thanks for your help. Lots to study and read about.

Back
Top Bottom