Prevent FM3 Output knobs from moving

Nemiah

If you are like me, you may be worried about output knobs accidentally being moved when you don’t want to. (They rotate easy)

I wanted to share my solution in case you have this “worry” too.

Gently pull the output knobs off. They don’t come off easy, but if you pull slow but firmly they will come off. Install an o-ring at the base of the knob. And press knob back on. Harder pressed gives more resistance to turn.

This is working great for me. I can still adjust my output knobs but it’s got enough resistance I really have to want to turn them.
And it looks better than tape. :)
8895E533-6BA7-477F-955A-806E405841FA.jpeg0AE55CCF-D4EE-49E0-8AC1-1576E11C70FD.jpeg

How loose are they that you're worried about them moving? They aren't anywhere near the IA switches or anything else you'd do on the unit.

I could see they might be moved plugging things in and out.
I have mine on a pedalboard and things remained plugged so I don't need it, but good idea for those who do.

Great idea.

Also if you need to know what value the knob is set at go to Setup, Utilities, ADC levels. I’ll set mine to 50% and then adjust based on what FOH says. Sometimes practice is on a Wed and we play again on Sat. So I know what to set it back to. Also can double check it right before a show.

@BryantP it would be great to show the ADC values for OUT1/OUT2 on the main screen :) It would probably fit nicely to the right of the FM3 text in the top left of the screen.

I worry about these getting “sheared” off by an errant shoe/foot.

I would like to make these at least half height....some how.

Great idea.

Also if you need to know what value the knob is set at go to Setup, Utilities, ADC levels. I’ll set mine to 50% and then adjust based on what FOH says. Sometimes practice is on a Wed and we play again on Sat. So I know what to set it back to. Also can double check it right before a show.

@BryantP it would be great to show the ADC values for OUT1/OUT2 on the main screen :) It would probably fit nicely to the right of the FM3 text in the top left of the screen.
I check my ADC levels religiously... I keep mine at 75% to give a little headroom to move if Sound tech needs more signal.

I worry about these getting “sheared” off by an errant shoe/foot.

I would like to make these at least half height....some how.
They are about 1/3 to 1/2 the height as the other knobs. So that’s good atleast...

How loose are they that you're worried about them moving? They aren't anywhere near the IA switches or anything else you'd do on the unit.
They aren’t loose. But they do turn VERY easy. More so than all the other knobs.

I was not suggesting this is for everyone. (Just a something that made me feel better and wanted to share

But the are in a position that I worry a little bump would cause my signal to be altered.

Yes for sure, you are rIght..This may happen..........but then the NEMIAH “O“- Ring Mod was born ;)

a way to get around this is to turn the Output knobs all the way up so they have a definite, repeatable setting. if they aren't all the way up, you know they've moved.

this has several drawbacks. first it could be a challenging to find a soundguy who won't tell you you're sending too much signal simply because they refuse to turn the Channel Gain/Trim down below 12 o' clock on their mixer. i've seen this at almost every gig for over 20 years. something makes "soundguys" think it just can't be done. fully up is a lot of signal, so most mixers won't need more.

also you can't ever adjust your volume up if needed at the gig. for the send to the FOH, this is actually a good thing because you don't want to change the gain structure at the input of the mixer - if you need more, the soundguy needs to send you more monitor signal or something else. but for your own powered speaker or similar, you can't adjust up during the gig.

i've used the FM3 at many gigs, and have never bumped the out knobs (even when not set to fully up). i can see how running around the stage or being very active during a gig could cause a cable to flop around and hit it, or for you to completely misstep and stomp near the knobs. maybe a piece of tape could secure them during the gig as well.

Tape is not a bad idea........I am thinking more of a “half height” domed type Cap.
Things will just brush off of it and not lock and potentially break the encoder Post.

My bro in law has a plastics company, normally I would hustle down there with this neat lol
Project .......alas...they are swamped in PPE production......a good thing.

I think the output knob placement is the most disappointing design choice in the FM3, but I guess I can overlook it.

I think it’s perfect. For a gig situation, it’s conveniently accessible without getting mixed up with the other knobs and buttons used to adjust parameters. They’re the furthest away from the foot-switches.

On the AX8 I normally run the knob at 50% (or as close as I can get). Then I have room to turn up if needed, which is rare. I also have volume controls on my cab so I can adjust my volume w/out affecting FOH.

Unless they'd gone with a completely different design I can't see where else the knobs would go. I may change my mind when I get it, but seems fine to me.

Perhaps a future iteration could have the kind of knobs that you have to push in to get to pop up to adjust them, then push them back in so they are flush.

That said, I don’t mind them as they are.

That would be a neat idea.

but like you, I am very happy with the FM3 design as is...

Back
Top Bottom