Presets, XY Switching, and Scenes in the Axe-Fx II - In-Depth 1 hour Premium Tutorial

chris

Owner's Manual Reader
Tutorial - Presets, XY Switching, and Scenes - Axe-Fx II - In-Depth 1 hour Premium

hey guys, above is a Trailer for my first Premium Axe-Fx Tutorial where i discuss Presets, XY Switching and Scenes. many people have asked for an explanation about Scenes, but to really understand them, we need to start with Presets and see how the Axe-Fx has progressed through the years. almost every consultation i've done, there is confusion about Scenes because they skipped past understanding Presets and XY Switching, so it's difficult to understand what exactly is happening.

this video is 1 hour long! but there is a ton of information in it, so while it's especially great for beginners as i quickly show how to make presets on the Front Panel and in Axe-Edit and other basic concepts, intermediate to advanced Axe-Fx users will learn different ways to use Scenes including the very popular 4 Amps in 1 Preset setup and my suggestions for when it actually might be better to use Presets, for example.

In this video, I discuss the following:
-Presets Defined
-Layout Grid Basics
-Creating Presets on the Front Panel and in Axe-Edit
-Creating Multiple Presets for different tones
-Adding Blocks to a preset in Axe-Edit
-Bypassing and Engaging Blocks
-Creating Multiple Presets for different effect combinations
-XY Switching Defined
-XY Switching Basics and Uses
-Scenes Defined
-Creating Scenes - Engaging and Bypassing Blocks
-Scenes and XY Switching
-Scenes - Output Block Main Level
-Presets vs XY vs Scenes - Which is best when
-Scenes - Gapless Switching
-Scenes - Spillover
-Scenes Advanced - 4 Amps in 1 Preset

because of the length of the video (1 hour) and number of topics discussed, i have made the video available to stream or download after purchase. the downloaded version has Chapters accessible with most media players just like a DVD, so you can skip to the section you want. it may be best to watch this video in sections to better understand all the different topics as they all relate to each other. this video is so long because it covers concepts that have developed over many years.

for a limited time, this video is only $10, and will go back to its regular price of $15 in about a week or so.

you can purchase this video at my Selz store here: http://katsukurimedia.selz.com - Direct Link http://selz.co/1p5JF79

Thanks!

Last edited:
Chris:

This tutorial (and all of your previous tutorials) is clear, concise, thorough, informative, visually appealing to watch and listen, and is a great learning/reference video.
Thank you for your efforts to help others on the forum.
What are you considering for future tutorials?

Hey thanks guys. This one took a LOT of time to compose shoot and edit. I can talk a long time without breathing haha!

I originally was just gonna do a "how to scenes" video, but I knew I had to explain everything else and my 3 page script became about 8 pages.

I think my next video will be stereo vs mono outputs and routing. That's another topic that can go for a while so I need to figure out how to explain it just right.

I'm always open to suggestions for topics, as long as I feel I understand it enough myself.

Gonna bump this here and there since a lot of people asked me specifically for this topic.

Hey Chris. This is really well done. Had a chance to go through the whole thing today. Particularly like the tutorial on gapless switching and trails as it is very well explained. Well worth the $10 even to reinforce the concepts. I don't use a lot of scenes today because I generally have presets tied to songs and I would lose track of which is where. I like your idea about preset naming to overcome this but the limitation on the MFC readout doesn't make that viable.

Also interested in your x32 (I have a behringer so curious as to what you are doing with it in your rack) and your preset (i have a piezo equipped synth guitar and this looks awfully familiar to some of mine). You should check out setlistmaker if you haven't as it does a lot of the preset changes to other devices and I've found it to be invaluable.

Here's my main preset (the fxloop is for a GR55 feed)

Course is highly recommended! Well done.

MM

Attachments

• Acoustic5150 III Green.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 12
Particularly like the tutorial on gapless switching and trails as it is very well explained.

oh good. i started writing that part out and i was like how the hell am i gonna explain this! that's why i put that warning before it hehe...

i'm actually using Bandhelper, the multi-user version of Setlist Maker. syncs our lyrics and rehearsal schedules up to everyone's devices. genius concept really.

i really like the Reverb on the x32 and i have my band's vocals going to that effect on the x32. but i can't send tap tempo signals to the x32 for delay, so i use the axe for Vocal delays. at this point it's proof of concept since i'm trying to figure out how to balance the delay level with ever-changing vocal gain, and i don't really want to add another pedal or expression knob. but to be able to add delay to any/all vocals with my mfc while playing is really cool, of course having it tempo sync'd with my tap tempo.

so i use In/Out 2 on the axe as an insert - i send vocals to Bus 9, Bus 9 goes to my Aux Out 6 to Input 2 on the Axe. i use that silly Feedback Send/Return and FX Loop blocks just to get the delay back out of Output 2 which goes to Aux In 1&2 linked in stereo on the x32.

i also have midi going from the axe to the x32 just to control the on/off of the Reverb, Effect 1 with a CC#. fun times!

Just bought and watched. Very helpful. I'm ready to do scenes and your tutorial answered several questions. I'm going to watch scene controllers next.

Thanks Chris, perfect timing. Well done.

cool.

i've had some people ask me for the presets i used in the demos. to be honest, i literally dropped the blocks in there and didn't touch a setting, if aaaaaanything i adjusted the volume a bit in the amp block; everything you heard was a new block untouched. so if you follow along, you will have the exact same presets. besides, i erased them all after i finished the video because they were so stock, so i actually can't send them to you.

besides, i wanted to show you how to do it so you can learn - if i just give you the presets, that kinda defeats the point!

as for my crazy preset i show at the end, i guess i could share that but i've spent a very long time putting that together so it is a bit personal. but that's not what people were asking for anyway :)

cool.

i've had some people ask me for the presets i used in the demos. to be honest, i literally dropped the blocks in there and didn't touch a setting, if aaaaaanything i adjusted the volume a bit in the amp block; everything you heard was a new block untouched. so if you follow along, you will have the exact same presets. besides, i erased them all after i finished the video because they were so stock, so i actually can't send them to you.

besides, i wanted to show you how to do it so you can learn - if i just give you the presets, that kinda defeats the point!

as for my crazy preset i show at the end, i guess i could share that but i've spent a very long time putting that together so it is a bit personal. but that's not what people were asking for anyway :)

I'd be interested in the acoustic piezo preset part. Always looking to improve that part!

I'd be interested in the acoustic piezo preset part. Always looking to improve that part!

the search for my acoustic sound is never ending. i get a lot of my tone from the Multiband compressor believe it not. very powerful tool!

You did an awesome job Chris!
Not too fast or slow, just right.
You could do this also on creative live, just like cooper ;)

I'm looking forward to your next videos, if there will be an Abo i'm in :)

Oh. Hmm I've never heard that other term before.

I don't know how regularly I will do videos, so no subscription at this point, but thanks for the offer and idea.

I'm thinking of continuing to do shorter videos for free on YouTube, but these in depth ones I think will be "premium."

All of this just allows me to continue to make videos and help others. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom