Preset vs. FX Levels

jshirkey

Experienced
What's the best way to get preset levels right (I realize "right" is fairly subjective. I suppose I should say "balanced" or "optimized")? Is it better to adjust the output level(s) of individual fx blocks, or should those be left alone in favor of adjusting the overall output level of the preset? Or is it six of one half dozen the other?

Thanks.

I prefer to adjust the blocks. Drive blocks are almost “their own source of volume” so definitely set those where they need to be. Other blocks like Chorus and Delay I just set so it’s the same level off vs on, or louder on if I want that etc.

The Output levels I leave alone unless for some reason the whole thing has to go up or down.

I prefer to adjust the blocks. Drive blocks are almost “their own source of volume” so definitely set those where they need to be. Other blocks like Chorus and Delay I just set so it’s the same level off vs on, or louder on if I want that etc.

The Output levels I leave alone unless for some reason the whole thing has to go up or down.

Thanks. That's the approach I'll take then.

I normally just adjust the over-all preset volume through each Scene or w/ a “Filter” Block Boost for solos. Most times a setting of “Zero” at FX block keeps things the exact same volume for me.

But.....I really like to set-up my Chorus Block (Or Phaser, Flanger, etc) w/ a +.5 dB bump so that when I go to that Block or Scene for a Chorus section of a song, I get a little bump in volume.

Every time you add output to a block you could be getting closer to clipping, so be careful......& they all add-up, so I don’t do that much.....

Good luck!

X

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom