Preset/Scene Issues and Audio Lag/Latency when switching

atlfalcons

Hello,

Still new here to the AX8. Trying to learn the basics. All I want is my bottom four switches to be the following: a clean tone, a crunch tone, heavier distortion and lead/solo. I want the top four switches to be instant access switches for effects. Everytime I set this up using the Edit8 software, whenever I press a different switch on the bottom and try to go back to the previous setting on the pro switch it does not switch back to that amp, it simply stays on the newly selected amp tone when I first switched. Is there any way to accomplish this? Its simple in theory, bottom four switches = clean tone, crunch tone, heavier distortion, lead tone.

Also when I swap between the switches there is a very noticeable latency/lag time for the amp tone to change. Any way around this?

Thanks in advance! I want to figure this thing out because the sounds are killer.

Things can be a bit overwhelming at first because of all the features and exposed parameters of the unit. I would read the manual multiple times if possible. There are also a lot of good tutorials out there that might help you along.

@Smittefar started a video thread here:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/video-ax8-tutorials-tips-and-tricks-compiled-list.116158/

Biggest subject you'll probably want to explore at first are the differences between a "Preset" and a "Scene". You maybe able to get what you want in a single preset, or it might take 4... just depends on many factors.

so far the only option I have found to eliminate audio lag is to use the same amp with scenes instead of presets and use control modifiers to push the amp into overdrive. this may not work well if you are using a real high gain amp but a good example of an amp that works perfectly for this is the morgan ac-20. scene one my drive is about 2 to 2 1/2. my scene two my drive goes to about 5 maybe. then my scene three I put a modifier to turn the boost knob on. then scene 4 I engage a drive pedal for leads and multi-delay turns on. footswitches are assigned to scenes as opposed to pedals. xy switching works on most pedals without noticeable lag also but xy switching on amp or cab, there is a lag. I do hope a firmware update will find a way to eliminate this lag because it would open up a world of more options.

if you have not checked out the larry Mitchell presets I would recommend them. I love the ac-20 they captured and it is about all I use since primarily I just play at church.

the lag/audio drop out when switching between different amps is kinda annoying. For $1300+ this shouldn't be an issue. I use to run a mesa boogie triple rect head with a line 6 m9 switching with a voodoo lab ground control pro/control switcher. Never had this issue.

I hope they can fix this issue soon. This is a real turn off for me. I finally get the hang of the presets/scenes and now the latency issue.

There has been a lot of talk about this on the forums. Some folks notice some lag, others can't hear a thing. I think it pretty much boils down to what you are doing and how you are switching. I never have this problem, but I think it's because I don't typically radically shift between amp models as much as some folks. Also, reverb and delay spill-overs mask anything that is there.
  • Disable the Editor when you are testing switching performance.
  • In general, switches operate on the up-stroke to distinguish between XY and toggle. To some folks this equates to lag but it's really just foot mechanics and/or operator error.
  • Tons of ways to avoid the situation or minimize it such as, minimizing certain type of block XY switches or switching between algorithms. Use Scene Controllers/Drive blocks/filters, etc. Do a forum search for various tips.
  • Keep your CPU under 85% or less. Mine hovers around 80-82. I like to keep it there and I'll adjust my settings to get it in that range.

For me, it's a non issue, but I play live and always have some 'verb or ducked delay.

Keeping your CPU usage low and disabling Press/Hold for XY will help somewhat. If you can use scene controllers and/or drive blocks to take the same amp model from clean to lead then you can avoid the drop out entirely.

Hello,

Still new here to the AX8. Trying to learn the basics. All I want is my bottom four switches to be the following: a clean tone, a crunch tone, heavier distortion and lead/solo. I want the top four switches to be instant access switches for effects. Everytime I set this up using the Edit8 software, whenever I press a different switch on the bottom and try to go back to the previous setting on the pro switch it does not switch back to that amp, it simply stays on the newly selected amp tone when I first switched. Is there any way to accomplish this? Its simple in theory, bottom four switches = clean tone, crunch tone, heavier distortion, lead tone.

Also when I swap between the switches there is a very noticeable latency/lag time for the amp tone to change. Any way around this?

Thanks in advance! I want to figure this thing out because the sounds are killer.

As mentioned, there are a ton of threads on the audio gap already.
Fractal has implied that it isn't "fixable", so people who need to change amps mid song are still figuring out creative ways to get a satisfactory result.
...but long story short, all those methods involve not switching amps at all.
So read up around the forum and hopefully you'll find something that cuts it for you.

The only way I've ever been able to avoid an audio gap when switching amps is on the Axe-Fx II by switching between two separate amp blocks, and that's a $2200 unit. Even the Axe-Fx II has an x/y switching audio gap, so it's no surprises that the same issue exists in the more limited unit.

Back
Top Bottom