Preset Output Level Not Returning to Saved State

Big Joe Daddy

Experienced
SOLVED! See Bakerman's post below.

AXE FX II - FW: Quantum 1.0
MFC 101
Mission pedal SP1-R

I've got an odd quirk I can't seem to figure out while building some new presets in Quantum. I've introduced a Mixer block to some of my presets so that I can use an expression pedal to shift from Amp 1 to Amp 2, which in this case are the same amp type, but with different settings. This allows me to transition from say... a rhythm tone to a lead tone with an expression pedal. I've also got a Vol/Pan block in there and it's also attached to the EXP 1 expression pedal for a level boost.

The issue I'm up against has to do with the output level after the expression pedal is engaged (toe down) and then returned to its original up position (toe up). I'm finding that after I return the expression pedal from 'toe down' to 'toe up', the output level is a couple of dB less than what it was originally. I've eliminated the Vol/Pan block with a shunt and the problem persists. Recalling the preset with the MFC brings it right up to the original level.

Here's a screenshot of the preset and I've attached the preset as well. Thanks in advance for any tips or solutions.
Joe
Preset.jpg

Attachments

• Preset.jpg
    Preset.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 26
  • Marshall JCM800.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Your volume block isn't set to boost, it's set to cut when pedal is lower than 100%. Loading the preset sets it to normal/shunt level because you have PC RST enabled on the VOLUME modifier and a value of 10 stored with the preset. So once the pedal takes control and you move it to toe-up, you've lowered the volume to 7.48.

You could increase the vol/pan OUTPUT LEVEL parameter to make 7.48 as loud as 10 was, and store the VOLUME parameter at 7.48. Or just remove the VOLUME modifier and use an OUTPUT LEVEL modifier, min 0 dB, max desired boost amount.

Or just remove the VOLUME modifier and use an OUTPUT LEVEL modifier, min 0 dB, max desired boost amount.

it's important to do the part i just made bold in the quote above. the default Max amount will be +20dB and will most likely be very, very loud. so make sure you adjust that Max parameter to the actual value you want, as Bakerman suggested, if you do that method.

Your volume block isn't set to boost, it's set to cut when pedal is lower than 100%. Loading the preset sets it to normal/shunt level because you have PC RST enabled on the VOLUME modifier and a value of 10 stored with the preset. So once the pedal takes control and you move it to toe-up, you've lowered the volume to 7.48.

You could increase the vol/pan OUTPUT LEVEL parameter to make 7.48 as loud as 10 was, and store the VOLUME parameter at 7.48. Or just remove the VOLUME modifier and use an OUTPUT LEVEL modifier, min 0 dB, max desired boost amount.

That makes sense Bakerman. I didn't understand how the PC RST worked. Pondering your suggestion on using the OUTPUT LEVEL modifier, I wonder if I should just remove the Vol/Pan block all together, and use the OUTPUT LEVEL modifier in the Mixer block to do the same thing.

Thanks for your detailed response. Much appreciated.
Joe

Hey Joe. (that never gets old)

You might want to upgrade to 1.01 as well. Though not related to your question it fixes a few bugs and reduces your CPU usage quite a bit.

Yeah Craig, I was thinking of upgrading to v1.01, but v1.0 sounds so good. And I read a few folks that preferred v1.0 over v1.01. I've been spending hours and hours building new presets. I just want to get done and play some guitar! Well I guess I'll upgrade and see how it goes.
Thanks,
Joe

Yeah Craig, I was thinking of upgrading to v1.01, but v1.0 sounds so good. And I read a few folks that preferred v1.0 over v1.01. I've been spending hours and hours building new presets. I just want to get done and play some guitar! Well I guess I'll upgrade and see how it goes.
Thanks,
Joe

The sound differences are very subtle. In v1.01 Cliff also added a parameter in the global menu to revert back to v1.0 if you feel it's superior. Just thought I would give you a heads up my friend.

Back
Top Bottom