Preset Leveling question

Quick question - leveling across Scenes. Where is the best place to do it?
Start with the Preset Leveling tool, because it makes it easier to manage the Amp and Out levels.

This is where I miss the snapshot parameter control in the Helix... In the FM9, I can't use a block/channel that's shared across scenes for leveling between scenes. The best place then seems to be Scene Levels in the output block but I've read about some of the pitfalls of that, any other options?

It seems kind of silly to load up the same amp in a different channel just to be able to change a setting across scenes, e.g. gain for a crunch tone, but I guess it's either that or getting into scene controllers, which was recommended in a different thread to only use as a last resort.
I use Amp Level to control the volume between scenes, which is also how the Factory presets do it. Whichever level control you use, make sure all the blocks have an even volume when you switch them between bypassed and engaged before you level the scenes, otherwise it complicates everything.

Scene controllers are a different way to accomplish the same thing, with pluses and minuses to either way.

The amp switching is so fast now that I don't worry about it; It's faster than my tube amps can switch channels.

The scene levels in the output block or a scene controller for the amp block output level will give you eight independent levels for your eight scenes. This is effectively the same thing as a level parameter in eight Helix snapshots. I'm not sure what you mean by "pitfall" or "last resort". The only thing to watch out for is a known bug where copying/swapping scenes doesn't copy/swap those parameters.
Not my words, just what I've read. I believe the comment on using Scene levels had to do with it boosting delay trails and such. As for using scene controllers as a last resort, that's just what was recommended to me in another thread.

Start with the Preset Leveling tool, because it makes it easier to manage the Amp and Out levels.

I use Amp Level to control the volume between scenes, which is also how the Factory presets do it. Whichever level control you use, make sure all the blocks have an even volume when you switch them between bypassed and engaged before you level the scenes, otherwise it complicates everything.

Scene controllers are a different way to accomplish the same thing, with pluses and minuses to either way.

The amp switching is so fast now that I don't worry about it; It's faster than my tube amps can switch channels.
Great tip on the blocks and leveling 👍. I recently did that with my presets on the Helix and it definitely helped make the preset and snapshot leveling much easier.

I guess loading up the amp in another channel in order to be able to tweak one parameter didn't make sense, or rather seemed not to be the most intuitive or effective route. to me Regardless, it accomplishes what I need, so I may do it that way. I'll experiment between that and Scene Levels when I need volume adjustments only, and if it's a matter of wanting to simply tweak a parameter like Gain, it looks like that's the way to do that too, or the scene controllers.

Not my words, just what I've read. I believe the comment on using Scene levels had to do with it boosting delay trails and such. As for using scene controllers as a last resort, that's just what was recommended to me in another thread.
Just use a scene controller to control the amp block(s) output level and you'll be fine. In any case, it accomplishes the same thing you're used to on the Helix.

Quick question - leveling across Scenes. Where is the best place to do it?

This is where I miss the snapshot parameter control in the Helix... In the FM9, I can't use a block/channel that's shared across scenes for leveling between scenes. The best place then seems to be Scene Levels in the output block but I've read about some of the pitfalls of that, any other options?

It seems kind of silly to load up the same amp in a different channel just to be able to change a setting across scenes, e.g. gain for a crunch tone, but I guess it's either that or getting into scene controllers, which was recommended in a different thread to only use as a last resort.
I too struggle with this after coming from helix. Just does not compute.

Back
Top Bottom