Preset Level issue

Claude M

Inspired
Hi guys. I know this topic has been discussed before but my query may be slightly different. I play in a cover band and use a few presets to cover all bases. I know how to preset level but I have a query.

When I preset level, I play an open G chord 3rd Fret (not barred) for my cleans and dirty and get my presets levelled this way. However, I notice that whilst I play a lot of clean songs in open chords, I don't play a lot of open chords when in dirty amp mode. So though I level all my clean and dirty presets with an open G to 0db, when I mute and chug in dirty, the meter obviously reads past 0db on the meter as there's more volume available when chugging. If I lower the amp volume and read roughly to 0db, on the meter, when I play open distorted chords, obviously now, the volume and meter reading are lower.

Is there a correct way to preset level a distorted sound, or should I just keep reading my level when in open chords and forget the extra volume when chugging?

1) Use your meters to level your presets.

2) Then use your ears to dial in each preset at the volume you’re going to be playing at while playing along with the band or a backing track.

Last edited:
1) Use your meters to level your presets.

2) Then use your ears to dial in each preset at the volume you’re going to be playing at while laying along with the band or a backing track.
Thx Rex. That sounds like the logical thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom