Preset for 5150 album?

mrrippie

Recently acquired an axe fx 3. Would love to find a preset that nails Ed's sound for the 5150 album, but I'm having difficulty searching online because
of the amp of the same name coming up in results rather than the "album tone".

Anyone happen to know of a preset that absolutely nails it? Thanks dudes.

Recently acquired an axe fx 3. Would love to find a preset that nails Ed's sound for the 5150 album, but I'm having difficulty searching online because
of the amp of the same name coming up in results rather than the "album tone".

Anyone happen to know of a preset that absolutely nails it? Thanks dudes.
Marshall plexi, all knobs on 10 with variac at 75% using greenback speakers. Then add a dual detune with +9 panned hard left and -9 panned hard right. Put it in parallel with mix at 100%. Also use some reverb.

Damn dude did you have that reply copied in your clipboard? That was fast! I'll definitely try it out, thanks!
Haha no, but I basically know everything there is to know about his tone and the gear he used, so I can give you a good sense of what to use. But for that album, he was using 2 Eventide H949s and not the H3000 (that came during the FUCK album), so the detune settings may not sound quite on point.

Actually, look up the Rocco Pezzin "Eddie" preset, it actually sounds more like that era and kick in the delay and pitch detune blocks
That's exactly the one I was thinking of when I made this post. I remember it from years ago (before I ever owned a fractal product). Figured someone might have updated it for the fx3 but I'll try to find that and see if I can figure out how to get it working. Thanks!

That's exactly the one I was thinking of when I made this post. I remember it from years ago (before I ever owned a fractal product). Figured someone might have updated it for the fx3 but I'll try to find that and see if I can figure out how to get it working. Thanks!
No there was one he did right after Eddie passed that is made for the III. Look it up on his YouTube channel.

Check out Andy Wood’s 90s EVH preset.
Thanks. I found a patch awhile ago called "King Edward" that has an "Andy Wood's 90's EVH" scene in it. It's not bad but still not there imo in regards to it sounding like 5150. The scene "1988" absolutely nails OU812 and I've been using that a lot for lack of finding a "closer" 5150 sound.

I grabbed myself a bunch of backing tracks to play along with. Having the Fractal makes this prospect so delightful. It's about 16 songs, roughly half EVH, half SRV, and a few oddballs (STP, Pink Floyd, Whitesnake) and they've got me super-stoked to play my guitars and try to get accurate tones.

I needed a good EVH guitar platform and I have some pickups that I think are pretty good for this neighborhood: a JB, a Pearly Gates, a ToneZone (which somehow sounds very appropriate in parallel) but I do also have something I think is just right: A Custom Custom.
It's in my '93 Ibanez RG USA Custom Exotic Wood (Flame maple, translucent blue) and right out of the gate it's giving me goosebumps. Since I got into Van Halen backwards (first 5150, then devouring the back-catalog) I thought it would be fun to warm my hands back up with something upbeat and primary for me. I chose 5150 (the song) and holy crap is this fun to play. It has a CC and a 59 and they are both wired to series/parallel switches. The sounds I'm getting are inspirational. I hope the guitar forgives me for setting it up for Drop D 1/2-step down. But that means I can jam on 5150, Drop Dead Legs, and Unchained while I am at it. Yase!

Thanks for the recs, I didn't want to start a patch from scratch. I had read about the harmonizers detuned stereo wet/dry. I thought maybe he used an MXR chorus instead. To my ears, the expected EVH brown sound on that albumn is buried under the sizzle those pitch effects. That isn't bad, I just can't really hear the signature one underneath it. It's mixed fairly high, I think.

If I record a take and it comes out ok, I may throw it up on the soundcloud for consideration, if there is no objection.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom