preset - cpu usage help!

kloppsta

hi all,

I am slowly working my way through building my core tones. starting with this "master" preset, and using scenes which I haven't finished tweaking yet.
The problem I am having is my CPU usage is quite high (84%) and as soon as I add a second reverb (which I would like to do to use the "hold" function and still have a wet tone to play over the hold with) OR if I enable the Stereo Ultra-Res cabs to follow Cliff's suggestion of 0.06s delay in the cab block for "authentic" cab sounds my CPU usage spikes to 93-94% and I get horrendous digital "overload" sounds, although no CPU usage warning appears. Basically anything over 91% on my CPU and it becomes un-usable.

I am using a MK2 Axe Fx II and have just upgraded to the latest 16.04.01 FW

I have attatched the preset and a screenshot. Would really appreciate the power users out there to guide me in the direction of "best practice" when it comes to preset config (and yes, I have already watched the how to videos".

I guess I am just wondering if there is anything in my preset that is a big "no no" and that could save me some CPU. I don't think my preset is overly complex and I would love to use the Stereo Ultra-Res AND a second reverb block if possible!

Cheers :)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 153
  • Craig Master Preset_20141114_094816.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 8
All the bypassed blocks take up cpu power. Delete all the ones that don't need to be there.

thanks for the suggestion however I will be using each of those blocks in other scenes. they are only bypassed in this scene. I have however deleted "empty" shunt spaces now incase that saves a tiny bit of CPU

make one or both of your cabinets high resolution, especially since you're adding a reverb block for ambience. This is probably where the difference will be heard the least. Read up here to refresh what the different IR resolutions have to offer.

Cab - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Make sure "comp" is set to 0 in the amp block unless needed as this parameter will bump cpu usage if used.

When I first got the axe-Fx II, my most complicated presets, (which easily maxed out my old Ultra) only got to about 60% CPU. However, as firmware has progressed, they now are at the absolute limit, some are touching 90% when editing via USB. I make sure they neve go beyond that, so there's no danger of overloading when I play live. The way I intend to work around this is to make multiple presets which will do all the required jobs. It hasn't come to that yet, but already I found out I can't use the new stereo ultra-Res cabs, which I am OK with at this point. The regular cab block sounds great already!

I think Cliff is just trying to force us all to buy an FX8 with all this CPU increase with the new cabs/reverb!

:devilish:

Not if you learn to use the front panel for editing. (Hint: learn to use the front panel for editing!)

lol, I see your point but I have just tried closing axe edit, removing the USB cable and adding the extra cab / reverb blocks on the axe itself and I get the CPU overload message

When I first got the axe-Fx II, my most complicated presets, (which easily maxed out my old Ultra) only got to about 60% CPU. However, as firmware has progressed, they now are at the absolute limit, some are touching 90% when editing via USB. I make sure they neve go beyond that, so there's no danger of overloading when I play live. The way I intend to work around this is to make multiple presets which will do all the required jobs. It hasn't come to that yet, but already I found out I can't use the new stereo ultra-Res cabs, which I am OK with at this point. The regular cab block sounds great already!

yeah I hear ya, the problem with a multiple preset setup for me is the un-usable delay switching between presets. I need seamless switching so I have to use scenes.

I think Cliff is just trying to force us all to buy an FX8 with all this CPU increase with the new cabs/reverb!

:devilish:

lol, probably not far from the truth ;-) tbh I have considered going to a amp/cab + fx8 setup. I know I would miss out on a lot of cool amp tones, but really I only use 3 core amps/tones that I could probably get from one tube amp, perhaps something like the victory v30. paired with a nice 2x12 cab I reckon I could live with those amp tones. add the fx8 and I would have all the fx sorted and no issues with CPU overload to get the sounds I want :roll

Betcha we're all on an Axefx III waiting list next summer - with promise of loads of CPU capacity. - Cliff might be pushing the limits of this one.

Back
Top Bottom