Bug? Presence and Hi-cut

DLC86

Fractal Fanatic
Not sure this can be classified as a bug.
As we know when moving the physical amp knobs on the unit a pop-up appears on the screen with name and its current value.
The problem is some amp models have high-cut in place of presence but currently this pop-up window displays "presence" even if the amp has a high-cut control. It'd be nice if it displayed the correct name since the high-cut works in the opposite way.

I'd say this works as designed. There's a master volume dial even for non-MV amps. I find it quite interesting using those 'non-existent' dials.

I'd say this works as designed. There's a master volume dial even for non-MV amps. I find it quite interesting using those 'non-existent' dials.
It's not a matter of authenticity, the presence control in those amps (eg: ac-30) is replaced by the high-cut control and for some reason this control works the opposite way, sound becomes darker if you turn it clockwise. This is the confusing part.
If "high-cut" was displayed you knew in advance that you have to turn it in the opposite direction.

Another solution could be to reverse the high-cut control to behave like presence and all other high-cut controls in the unit.

not a bug
Probably, but IMHO it's something that should be corrected nonetheless, it causes confusion

Last edited:
From Axe Fx Wiki:

PRESENCE / HI CUT
Presence is a high frequency tone control for the power amp section.

If Negative Feedback (Damping) is zero, Presence turns into a HiCut control.

If Power amp modeling is off, Presence turns into a shelving filter where "5" is neutral.

The range (min/max values) of the virtual Presence knob in the model is the same as the range of the real Presence knob on the modeled amp. But the visual position of both knobs does not necessarily match, because the taper is not the same.

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=AMP_block#PRESENCE_.2F_HI_CUT

Back
Top Bottom