Preparing for the FX8

BluesRock

Inspired
It appears like the first FX8’s will ship in a few weeks. I signed up in October so this may be wishful thinking but assuming I’m among the first wave to receive an invitation to purchase, what can be done before-hand to get up and running ASAP. I’ve read the Axe-FX II manual and own an expression pedal. Is it likely that some “how to” videos will be available? This will be my first FAS product.

Yes, it would be nice to have the actual FX8 manual to review but I’m thankful that the Axe-FX II manual is available for now.

Among the features offered on the FX8 are Humbuster outputs for the reduction of ground hum, which require Humbuster cables. I’m not experiencing noticeable hum on my current and traditional rig (large pedalboard running to Mesa main input – not using effects loop). All of my cables are high quality. Is the hum referred to particular to multi FX pedals? Should I assume Humbuster cables will be needed?

Sorry for what seem like naive questions…I’m a very traditional guitarist when it comes to gear.

Humbuster cables become especially important if you're using the four cable method, but can also be useful in a more simple FX8 rig depending on how you have things connected.

Looks like I'm gonna need to save up for some cables. I need at least 20 - 30 ft. cables and I'll need 4 for the 4-cable method. Looks like the Humbuster cables are not cheap. I'm guessing 80' to 120' will be a dent to the pocket book. I may have to run with regular cables for a while.

Humbuster cables become especially important if you're using the four cable method, but can also be useful in a more simple FX8 rig depending on how you have things connected.

Thanks for the follow-up. I'll add Humbuster cables to the shopping list. I have an update to my original post above...ordered an additional "FAS" expression/volume pedal last night. :)

A few questions about the humbuster cables, assuming that I am running 4CM:

1. Which cables in the chain need to be humbuster? FX8 pre out to amp input? FX8 post out to amp effects return? Both?
2. For any cables in the chain that are non-humbuster, are there any special requirements? I.e. do they need to be balanced, or will a standard unbal instrument cable work?
3. For the humbuster cables, my understanding is that the TRS end goes into the FX8 and the TS end into the amp. Let me know if that's not correct.

A few questions about the humbuster cables, assuming that I am running 4CM:

1. Which cables in the chain need to be humbuster? FX8 pre out to amp input? FX8 post out to amp effects return? Both?
2. For any cables in the chain that are non-humbuster, are there any special requirements? I.e. do they need to be balanced, or will a standard unbal instrument cable work?
3. For the humbuster cables, my understanding is that the TRS end goes into the FX8 and the TS end into the amp. Let me know if that's not correct.

1. Pre and Post outputs
2. Standard TS (unbalanced) cables work
3. That is correct.

As noted above, I’ve studied the AXE-FX II manual and for the most part, it’s easy to comprehend. However, I’m also a visual learner. So, are video’s likely to be available upon the release of the FX8? Is Chris (Axe-FX Tutorials.com) working on such a project?

TRS cables are reasonably priced. How did you modify them to create Humbusters?

Here you have it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Humbuster.jpg
    Humbuster.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 124
Back
Top Bottom