Preferred volume/lead boost

Hey all, new FM9 user here. I wanted to get opinions on the best or preferred method of boosting your signal and scenes for guitar leads and how to best program them into the chain. Thanks I’m advance!

There are a lot of ways to implement a lead boost. My preferred method is to boost the level with a filter block placed between the cab block and the post cabinet effects. This allows the boosted signal trails to stay at the boosted level even when quickly switching to another non-boosted scene. It also allows access to the clean level boost from any scene. There may be more elegant ways to get the job done, but that is how I do it.

This has been discussed many times in the forums. Have you searched for threads?
Sorry, I did check and I didn’t find exactly what I was looking for.
There are a lot of ways to implement a lead boost. My preferred method is to boost the level with a filter block placed between the cab block and the post cabinet effects. This allows the boosted signal trails to stay at the boosted level even when quickly switching to another non-boosted scene. It also allows access to the clean level boost from any scene. There may be more elegant ways to get the job done, but that is how I do it.
excellent. Is there a specific way of dialing in that filter block?

Are there other benefits to this strategy vs using a volume block and expression pedal? Personally, I like using a volume pedal because I can set a maximum volume gain and then can always go halfway for just a little volume boost. I eventually want to get a 3rd pedal so I can do volume, wah and something else

@Jipps0525 I hadn't considered using the volume block but that sounds like a good solution as well. I can't think of any advantages of using the filter block over the volume block unless you want some tone shaping as well (which I generally do not).

I use a Control Switch to toggle the Out 1 block's level between 0 <--> 3.5 dB. In my Scenes, Effects, and Per-Preset layouts I assigned CS 6 to a solo boost switch, either as a tap or hold function.

I used to add a block, either a Filter, or a Vol, to the preset and adjust its Level, but on the FM3 I don't want to add any more blocks than necessary, so I piggyback on the Out block.

Some people adjust the Amp block's Level, or the Cab block's, but then you're dealing with varying numbers, rather than an offset from 0 dB. And, it's possible that the preset levels will have to be changed because of a firmware tweak, making it a pain to go through every Amp and readjust their associated boost assignments.

The tradeoffs between the various methods are whether you're having to compute exact values or offsets from 0 and whether you can simply adjust the overall preset's volume using the Preset Leveling tool and then have to compute the boost value separately. There's also the whole delay trails volume change, but in a band situation on stage I don't care; After a second the trails will probably have dropped their volume enough that people won't notice. I'm lazy so the Out 1 block works for me.

The attached Out block can be dropped into your block library:

Attachments

• Control Switch_20211225_120008.blk.zip
    736 bytes · Views: 10
Last edited:
I'll be happy to give my usual answer here. I use a PEQ block after the cab and before post FX as a boost. This allows me to tailor the tone instead of just upping its level. This usually means a low mid hump. or some extra high end and low end rolloffs.

I use a separate lead scene with a different amp model and more delay/reverb.

I also use a volume pedal on output 1 block that goes from -6 to 0 dB and play rhythm around -3, so I can boost any scene with the volume pedal instead as well.

I'll be happy to give my usual answer here. I use a PEQ block after the cab and before post FX as a boost. This allows me to tailor the tone instead of just upping its level. This usually means a low mid hump. or some extra high end and low end rolloffs.
Would you mind sharing your block? Curious to see what eq changes you make specifically

I use several of the above:

1. For a scene that is specifically for a solo (or where I otherwise want it louder or quieter) I just adjust the level for that scene to be higher (or lower).

2. Every preset has the output block set to boost several dB with Control Switch 2, which is controlled by an external switch - so at any time I can hit that same switch and get a level boost.

3. Almost every preset has a volume block at the beginning (controlled by an expression pedal), which Is similar to adjusting the guitar’s volume control. I mostly use this for swells.

4. Many presets have an expression pedal assigned to either the amp’s drive/volume or the preamp boost amount, which depending on the amp block and settings may boost the level (though if already saturated it just gets dirtier).

5. I have a mini expression pedal that adjusts the global output volume. I mostly use this for when I want to be louder in the mains, but I can also use it as a temporary level boost.

Bottom line, there are many ways to do it, but experiment and find what works best for you.

I use 2 PEQ blocks. One is tied to a switch in the normal way or operated by a scene change. The second one is operated with a momentary switch so is only on when the switch is held down. This works great for making short lead fills standout and is much easier to use than trying to switch a boost in and out in the usual manner. The 'momentary' boost is set with its level a bit lower than my main solo boost. (I also couldn't figure out a way to have a single PEQ block switchable by two different foot switches).

Hey all, new FM9 user here. I wanted to get opinions on the best or preferred method of boosting your signal and scenes for guitar leads and how to best program them into the chain. Thanks I’m advance!
I set up several things. I have an always on GEQ or PEQ at near end of chain, set to "ON" Channel A. Channel A is set for nothing. Almost like a shunt really. Then set the B, C and D Channels up for various EQ shifts. Set up Layout button for GEQ or PEQ and have it cyle up to the channels B, C and D. Then you can toggle through 3 of them and have it wrap back to Channel A.

This is good for different needs live, to have options, AND trying out different curves to find the singular one you are looking for live and with band.

I do this for Output block too. I have Channels B, C and D go up. +2db, +4db and +6db. Back to Channel A for zero db boost.

Back
Top Bottom