Preference at home .... In Ears Monitors or Headphones

.... what I d like to read is what are your feels playing at home with ears , the differencees of feelings with classic headphones , if you prefer in ears and why ...
i m thinking of investing in a really good pair of in ears monitors but my band does not play la lot anymore ... so should I prefer investing on a classic good headphones rather than very good in ears .....
Tell me your feels , the differences you feel playing only guitar with in ears ....

The biggest difference is the comfort. Over the ear headphones are uncomfortable when worn for a long time because they are heavy and many of them clamp on to my head tightly. Open back headphones sound great and have good sound staging, but you have to turn them up to drown out the acoustic volume of the strings. At those volumes they leak sound and can be annoying to other people in the house. Closed back headphones will contain the noise and block most of the acoustic string noise, but their sound staging is terrible and they are usually the worst offenders when it comes to clamping force.

IEMs are light weight and fit comfortably for hours on end. It is possible to forget that you are even wearing them sometimes. The isolation they provide is unparalleled. Aside from those factors, IEMs are a better investment because they are also useful for onstage monitoring and traditional headphones are generally not worn when performing.

IEMs are light weight and fit comfortably for hours on end. It is possible to forget that you are even wearing them sometimes. The isolation they provide is unparalleled. Aside from those factors, IEMs are a better investment because they are also useful for onstage monitoring and traditional headphones are generally not worn when performing.
+10 on OrganicZed. In addition to Zed’s points, assuming you choose wisely (and get a good fitment) they simply sound better. I use FutureSonics MG6’s b/c their single internal “speaker” (non-armature) driver is über full-range with no multi-driver crossover phase anomalies. With their superior sound and comfort — and my AFX3, of course — I often “lose myself” in just playing through my IEM’s…

Back
Top Bottom