Predictions on how will FW10 affect our patches.

TakaraGold

Experienced
Basically that guys. Is there a way to know if FW will render our 9.02 patches useless? I've gotten to a very sweet spot on all my main patches, but I dont fear change, and always loved the improvements you get from firmware updates. But still, hope that it wont change much.

Basing only on my assumptions from what I read from cliff I would imagine that there can be noticeable changes in some patches.

For example I think he said that the controls in current firmware are within a 10 percent difference margin and I think he said something that meant the controls track much better now.

Based on my reading I'm thinking start over again. Half of the reason I sprung for a spare II was the rebuilding process. I can use 9.02 on one and spend as much time as needed on 10 with the other, without being lost in the middle and trying use the unit in my band.

I'm going to start over once the FW is unleashed.
Since I've been sitting on the OH IR's all this time too it just makes more sense to start from the ground up.
And I can't wait ! :D

I'm going to start over once the FW is unleashed.
Since I've been sitting on the OH IR's all this time too it just makes more sense to start from the ground up.
And I can't wait ! :D

I do this for the big FW updates too.

I reluctantly started doing this when I had my Ultra. But with big FW updates, it really makes the light bulb go off for me. I can hear immediately what the fuss is about :)

It seems if anything the only major tweaks needed will be to the amp block/s in each of your presets. It might (i'm hoping) not be all that drastic. Just a bit of gain / master / EQ.

I generally leave all my patch structures as they are and play with the amp blocks only and levels of course. It's time it'll be amp and cab blocks.

I plan to devote some time to tweak existing patches but will be ready to rebuild from scratch. It looks like some major changes coming our way.

I generally leave all my patch structures as they are and play with the amp blocks only and levels of course. It's time it'll be amp and cab blocks.

This is my process too. I don't blow up the patches. I just reset the amp block and redial. Most of my patches sit in the 4-6 realm for gain no matter what the amp and then it's more around the TMB and presence and playing with those. I don't reset the effects (chorus, delay, etc.) and just leave everything else as is.

I am really looking forward to reworking my Mesa Mark IV patches with the increased gain. That and trying out the new Triaxis models to see how they sound. I am also going to rework my 5150 patches, which should be interesting.

Based on my reading I'm thinking start over again. Half of the reason I sprung for a spare II was the rebuilding process. I can use 9.02 on one and spend as much time as needed on 10 with the other, without being lost in the middle and trying use the unit in my band.

God that would be a nice option to have! I most likely will start from scratch from a preset and tweak from there. Praying that Axe-edit is ready so that I can start comfortably integrating scenes.

I have to agree with RVM there, I think that this FW is such a fundamental change with MIMIC and the other tweaks that it will probably be easier to start from scratch (spoken by a guy who only uses about 10 patches and doesn't gig).

For those with complicated/numerous patches, I understand the hesitancy to start from scratch again. I'm wondering how likely another significant FW upgrade is likely to happen after this one. Of course, I felt that way around FW 6 and I've been proven wrong multiple times since.

Hell, with FW10\MIMIC, new Fractal IRs, and a new Axe Edit all coming, I cant wait and look forward to starting from scratch !!!
Same here! With the last couple fw releases, I've basically stopped editing all but a handful of my favorite patches. With v10 (new AE or not), I plan to rebuild everything from scratch. It will be a lot of work, but I'd imagine, lots of fun too. The one great thing about every fw release thus far is that dialing in GREAT tone has been getting easier and easier to achieve. The Axe II is getting deeper and more complex, yet easier to use and dial in at the same time... Cliff is a genius! :)

I would guess if you choose 9 in the global amp modeling parameter setting, you might un-scathed?
no,not really. that's mostly the Power Amp modelling. 10 brings more accurate Master, more accurate B/M/T tapers and various other good things. lots of changes, all to the better though (IMHO).

unfortunately, my advice is... start over (you'll be rewarded in plenty though).

Going to start from scratch here as well....with AE I will finally be able to use scenes.

Same here! With the last couple fw releases, I've basically stopped editing all but a handful of my favorite patches. With v10 (new AE or not), I plan to rebuild everything from scratch. It will be a lot of work, but I'd imagine, lots of fun too. The one great thing about every fw release thus far is that dialing in GREAT tone has been getting easier and easier to achieve. The Axe II is getting deeper and more complex, yet easier to use and dial in at the same time... Cliff is a genius! :)

no,not really. that's mostly the Power Amp modelling. 10 brings more accurate Master, more accurate B/M/T tapers and various other good things. lots of changes, all to the better though (IMHO).

unfortunately, my advice is... start over (you'll be rewarded in plenty though).

Thanks!

That was my plan just based on the past FW releases.

I find with the big updates, I actually have fewer tweaks if I start from scratch. Counter-intuitive but true for me.

Back
Top Bottom