Practicality Vs. Potential: Is Someone Ready for Axe-FX II?

There are so many great presets that you honestly never need to tweak anything. Just use it plug and play and enjoy it.

Yek's presets, Tyler's stuff, some great Metallica presets by someone who's name I forget, all the stuff on the Exchange.

Yek's high gain stuff is simply exceptional, Tyler's SRV patches are amazing, basically anything you want clean to high gain someone has already done and done well

I know that I must start simple since, well, that makes the most since. Besides, I am going for distorted tones anyway and Cooper did an excellent job showing me how to make an awesome distortion tone (just wish he got rid of reverb and chorus). I am not trying to aim for a U2 sound as of yet.

If you don't like the reverb or chorus, just either bypass it, simple as 2 button presses on the front panel, or stepping on a single switch on the MFC to turn that effect off.

If you just want less reverb, hit edit, scroll over to the reverb block, and change the mix lower, or switch to a different type of verb. 10 seconds or less is all it takes.

Lots of patches have too much reverb for my taste ( I think every Kemper profile had too much lol) but its so simple to dial things back or turn off things you don't want.

If you don't like the reverb or chorus, just either bypass it, simple as 2 button presses on the front panel, or stepping on a single switch on the MFC to turn that effect off.

If you just want less reverb, hit edit, scroll over to the reverb block, and change the mix lower, or switch to a different type of verb. 10 seconds or less is all it takes.

Lots of patches have too much reverb for my taste ( I think every Kemper profile had too much lol) but its so simple to dial things back or turn off things you don't want.

Oh you've tried Kemper? How was that compared to the Axe-FX II? Which do you prefer if you do not mind me asking.

Haven't read the previous posts but I'll mention what may or may not have already been suggested. If you've only been playing a couple of years or less, I would consider concentrating more on developing your technique and learning how to play, etc. vs. the time that will likely be required for you to not only learn to use the Axe FX but the time you may likely "waste" continuously tweaking tones and FX. If you don't think that's an issue for you, then ignore this. But I think a lot of players (myself included, at times) get caught up spending more time on the gear than actually playing. Something as deep and capable as the Axe FX can really encourage this approach. I've helped a lot of people get into playing guitar over the years and I always tend to suggest a simple approach early on. All this said, if you have the cash and don't anticipate spending more time tweaking than playing and getting better, the Axe FX is one of the best tools available.. ever. IMHO

I'm not worried about not being able to use every feature on my XL. I just worry about being able to make it do what I need it to do. Everything else is just "frosting on the cake".

Haven't read the previous posts but I'll mention what may or may not have already been suggested. If you've only been playing a couple of years or less, I would consider concentrating more on developing your technique and learning how to play, etc. vs. the time that will likely be required for you to not only learn to use the Axe FX but the time you may likely "waste" continuously tweaking tones and FX. If you don't think that's an issue for you, then ignore this. But I think a lot of players (myself included, at times) get caught up spending more time on the gear than actually playing. Something as deep and capable as the Axe FX can really encourage this approach. I've helped a lot of people get into playing guitar over the years and I always tend to suggest a simple approach early on. All this said, if you have the cash and don't anticipate spending more time tweaking than playing and getting better, the Axe FX is one of the best tools available.. ever. IMHO

That is an excellent warning I was not suggested I believe. Do not worry, I am simply going to construct some pretty basic tones -- 80's metal, Metalcore, ambient, and clean -- then simply focus on playing and recording. I do not understand why so many people need so many blocks sometimes. What happened to simplicity and focussing on writing awesome riffs? Satchel from Steel Panther wonders the same thing.

Do not worry! Simplicity is the key to forming an awesome tone and incredible musical chops.

I'd say - go for it ! Man if I'd only had something like the axe when I was starting out. Ive been playing for 40 years ( that dont mean I'm great ) but I keep trying. Played through all sorts of tube amps pedals on and on chasing that elusive tone nirvana. Get the AXEFX and it is in there IMHO factory presets + a little tweaking boom your there! Plus if you want to go deeper its there too . I've learned more about tube amps from using the axe and these Forums than I ever did before . And you get to learn about cool stuff like Cathode Followers and Homomorfic Poteniquametometers as well ha .

I think the best way to look at the AxeFX-II is to look at other things in life. Let's use phones as an example. If you have a home phone, you basically press the buttons and call someone. You get an IPhone, you can do everything but scratch your own ass (and even that is probably an app now). They are both phones but one is way beyond the other.

Back to the AxeFX-II. You can buy one, plug in and run thru presets all night long, blown away at how awesome it sounds. If you never touched another setting or adjusted at all, it would still kick ass. However, if you say "I'd like to emulate running an old Marshall head into a 4x12 located approximately 2.5 feet from me, with a hint of hall reverb, the EL34 tubes running a tad hot, and an after market adjustment that my amp tech did with more saturation and brightness", then you might get overwhelmed.

People don't realize how awesome this amp is. It is like "Grand Theft Auto" in the amp world. Anything you want to do is just limited by your imagination. You can tweak things and pretend you are somewhere else. Some of us, really like that. If you like the idea of recreating Slash's sound to the point of nauseating realism, you can do that.

I look at it this way. I got my AxeFX-II about 3 years ago. When I first started, I was trying to tap into the different parts of the amp and had varied results. Over the past few years, I've learned so much about tone, amps, etc. and now can do so much more. Now that I understand the parts, I hear a sound in my head and know exactly what to adjust. I now know that "B+Constant" gives me immediate Metallica chug. I know "SAG" automatically gives me awesome modded Marshall tones. I could go on and on.

I think the AxeFX-II is the best investments I've ever made and I'm a bedroom player. I haven't gigged in years. I play guitar now every single night and haven't bought another amp since I got this thing. Guitars.....that's another story....:)

Bottom line is do you like to tweak and fiddle with menus and parameters? If so, the Axe will be a blast since it does so much so well. If you are more of a plug and play, simple turn of the knob kinda player, you will likely find the Axe tedious and frustrating. It can take some work, but it will sound great. If you've got the dough, buy one and try it out for a while. They are in high demand and resale value would be high if you decided it wasn't for you.

I think the best way to look at the AxeFX-II is to look at other things in life. Let's use phones as an example. If you have a home phone, you basically press the buttons and call someone. You get an IPhone, you can do everything but scratch your own ass (and even that is probably an app now). They are both phones but one is way beyond the other.

Back to the AxeFX-II. You can buy one, plug in and run thru presets all night long, blown away at how awesome it sounds. If you never touched another setting or adjusted at all, it would still kick ass. However, if you say "I'd like to emulate running an old Marshall head into a 4x12 located approximately 2.5 feet from me, with a hint of hall reverb, the EL34 tubes running a tad hot, and an after market adjustment that my amp tech did with more saturation and brightness", then you might get overwhelmed.

People don't realize how awesome this amp is. It is like "Grand Theft Auto" in the amp world. Anything you want to do is just limited by your imagination. You can tweak things and pretend you are somewhere else. Some of us, really like that. If you like the idea of recreating Slash's sound to the point of nauseating realism, you can do that.

I look at it this way. I got my AxeFX-II about 3 years ago. When I first started, I was trying to tap into the different parts of the amp and had varied results. Over the past few years, I've learned so much about tone, amps, etc. and now can do so much more. Now that I understand the parts, I hear a sound in my head and know exactly what to adjust. I now know that "B+Constant" gives me immediate Metallica chug. I know "SAG" automatically gives me awesome modded Marshall tones. I could go on and on.

I think the AxeFX-II is the best investments I've ever made and I'm a bedroom player. I haven't gigged in years. I play guitar now every single night and haven't bought another amp since I got this thing. Guitars.....that's another story....:)

Your story sounds looks like a reflection of my possible future. I have only played live once...by myself at my own high school graduation party. Much like you, I am a bedroom player and do not have an immediate calling to form a band (partially because I am not that good of a player yet). I am learning a lot just from listening to you all, and I am learning even more just from watching videos and seminars over the product. However, I feel I will learn the most once I get my hands on it and just play with every single setting imaginable.

I also like the fact you used the examples to paint an illustration on how the Axe-FX may feel. I remember having one of those old flip phones and then switching to an iPhone. It was overwhelming, but over the years I have mastered every part of it.

I have run out of things to say...

Thank you for the comment!

This is close to who I am now. I gig rarely, but enjoy my time playing as much as possible.

I purchased in 2007 I think. Before the Axe FX: I bought roughly 10 amps in 5-ish years. After Axe FX: 0 (But at least 6 guitars...wee!)

The... grail tone and...OP? Reassurance?

I just thought this would be an interesting discussion topic and it has been. I am not seeking any "grail tone" or any strokes to my musician's ego.

But that is off the point. Buy what exactly? The Line 6 HD500X?

I was speaking metaphorically. OP means original post. I'm saying that it sounds to me like you should buy the Axe FX II and try it out since it has a replacement policy and in the original post you clearly stated that you are seeking a higher level of tone than a lot of commonly available stuff which say you have already tried. It sounds like you are willing to put in some long term effort so if you feel like during the trial period you are hearing good things and gaining traction you can keep it and dig in. If you feel it is all just too overwhelming and overkill and you are not making any headway at all maybe it is not for you. Based on your OP I suspect you would like it since it sounds like you are looking for a long term solution, high quality sounds, and are willing to deal with a learning curve and are not being unrealistic about it.

If you have the cash Get it. Don't get stuck in the OVER tweaking rut, it is not necessary. Cooper Carter on creative live has an awesome class.
https://www.creativelive.com/courses/using-axefx-cooper-carter
Get it. At the end of the video he shows how easy it is to get an awesome sound from a basic preset with a few tweaks. The presets are already rocking. My single coil guitars sounded better with them from the start. My Les Paul Trad Pro II was a bit of a pain in the arse but taking the advice of some of the people in here, it sounds Smokin now. The Wiki and manual are awesome for further tweaking. Get used to the basics of the front panel. The MFC 101 makes life a breeze and in combination with Axe Edit (best software in the industry) you will be on your way. Too many people try to make it work with other gear, turning amps and cabs off (some have success) or as other gear (complete audio interface). I use it With my audio interface, FRFR with all its glory turned on and it kicks ass. As far as purchasing a Pod HD500X I have one. There is NO comparison not even remotely close. You are already in the right place. This is probably the best forums I have used in recent years. There are ALOT of good people here and a ton of information already covered. Have fun !

Last edited:
I was speaking metaphorically. OP means original post. I'm saying that it sounds to me like you should buy the Axe FX II and try it out since it has a replacement policy and in the original post you clearly stated that you are seeking a higher level of tone than a lot of commonly available stuff which say you have already tried. It sounds like you are willing to put in some long term effort so if you feel like during the trial period you are hearing good things and gaining traction you can keep it and dig in. If you feel it is all just too overwhelming and overkill and you are not making any headway at all maybe it is not for you. Based on your OP I suspect you would like it since it sounds like you are looking for a long term solution, high quality sounds, and are willing to deal with a learning curve and are not being unrealistic about it.

You know at first I thought you were trying to be rude, but after reading that you actually read my intentions very well. You are a smart person. Have a cookie.

I've been a straight digital guy pretty much from the day I picked up guitar. I couldn't afford a decent amp for high-gain stuff, nor could I afford to drive my neighbors/roommates insane with the volume anyway. First it was the crappy amp sims on a Boss recorder, next the Line6 stuff of various iterations. I lurked on this forum for over a year before I actually pulled the trigger on the Ultra, and I was blown away right from the start. When the II came along, I didn't even hesitate. Don't be overwhelmed by the options. You will hone and refine your sound overtime, but that's not going to stop you from making presets that sound excellent right from the start. And if it comes down to it, even though we can be a prickly lot, there are many board regulars who will be happy to offer assistance.

[..] but can I unlock its full potential?

FULL potential? No, probably not. There are probably only a handful of guys on the planet getting evrything possible out of the Axe (Simeon here on the forum comes to mind). Question really is "can it unlock YOUR potential"?

I didn't buy the Axe because it gave me a million choices, or even because it has 150 + amps in it. I bought it because from those amps I can select a handful that sound really really good to me and it is an ideal choice for live, recording and headphone practice (I have 2 young kids). And it has the potential to do far more should I ever need that from it.

I'm bemused by these sorts of threads. Plug it in - rock out - its very simple. People seem to get into all sorts of psychodramas "there's too many controls!" DON'T TOUCH 'EM.
If its doesn't sound right direct through a pair of headphones then the problem is what's between the headphones.
On the other hand the AFX is a fantastic educational tool. If you are willing to make the effort you CAN start understanding the advanced parameters and in the process learn more about guitar amplifiers in a few months than in a lifetime of chasing the real-world boxes.

If you have the means there is simply no substitute.

You do not have to tweak anything you wouldn't tweak on any amplifier. Volume, gain, tone controls, and the basic stuff like that. Just because you can get deep doesn't mean you have to. The amp sims in the axe really do sound like the real amps with out any deep tweaking. You can get as deep as you want but beware, this much power can also get ugly.

The fx can be pretty simple too. It depends on what you want to do. The fx sound great simply adjusting the same parameters you would find on there real life counter parts.

The real deal breaker is your monitoring situation. If you try to make the axe sound good through crappy speakers you will fail. The easiest way to listen to the axe is through a guitar cabinet using a good quality solid state amp. In this scenario you would bypass all the cab options which can have a huge influence on your tone. If your up for more possibility in your tones or simply want to monitor direct, you must use a good monitoring situation. I use yamaha hs8 monitors for my computer listening. They are descent. For playing live I use qsc kw122's. Many use other things with good results. But the point is.....

Your monitoring device will make or break you not difficulty using the axefx itself.

Imho, and all that stuff

Probably not, I've been playing guitar for 20 years and returned the same unit for a refund.

If you're an engineer or have an engineering (i.e. problem-solving) mind-set then you may fare better. I am a computer programmer for a living. The problems come in mainly if you want to use the AFX for both recording and live. Good luck.

Try the HD POD 500x first, if you can manage using that, then maybe you can upgrade to the AFX.

Not true at all-I use mostly tweaked presets and I am a retired IT guy. To give such a blanket absolute answer is ridiculous and so wrong. I use mostly wreckers, Dumbles, Fenders and Mesa's. No problems at all. Since 2009

Hunterz, I've been playing keyboards for 50 years, but I'm a kindergartener when it comes to guitar.

Getting the Axe-FXII was the best thing I could possibly have done. It brings so much joy to the act of playing that I can easily stand and explore for hours. Any progress I've made on guitar – and I *am* making progress – can be directly attributed to the fun I'm having because of the Axe.

None of us can ever be said to have "mastered" any instrument or tool we work with. After 50 years, have I "mastered" the keyboard? Are you kidding?

When he was 93, a friend asked cellist Pablo Casals why, after all he had achieved, he was still practicing as hard as ever. “Because,” Casals replied, “I think I’m making progress.”

Don't hesitate, hunterz – you'll never have to match anyone else's benchmark. All the matters is the joy you get from playing. And the Axe just keeps getting better. All the people involved in making it what it is – and that includes both Fractal, and those here on the forum – are amazing. Go for it!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom