Powerstage 170 & cab advice...

I've been using my FM3 through a Powercab Plus 212 for live and DXR10 for home - both ok units and serve a purpose, but feel I could get a better sound than I am currently getting.

I am tempted by the Powerstage 170 hooked into a guitar cab. I've never tried this approach before having always used FRFR with modellers.

1. How much of a difference is using a SD170 into a cab Vs FRFR - Anyone gone from FRFR to SD170/Power amp and never looked back?

2. Can anyone make a recommendation for 2x12 cabs that they've been using in a live context? I came across Zilla cabs and the greenback/V30 combo sounded pretty cool on the YT video. Any Zilla owners?

I'd welcome and and appreciate any tips, suggestions, thanks!

I use the Powerstage 700 into a Mesa 212 or a Mesa Cali Tweed 112 cab. Both sound GREAT but they definitely have a different feel than that of my IR's (York Mesa 212's).

For example, I use a shimmer drive at low drive but high volume and can get a relatively "chewy" and saturated tone driving my ODS FD Amp. But when running the same settings into the PS 700 and Cab the drive sounds less "chewy" and saturated. Not necessarily bad just different.

I turn Cab blocks off and change the amp settings from frfr to the power amp setting to ensure I have proper settings when using a power amp and cab.

I use the Powerstage 700 into a Mesa 212 or a Mesa Cali Tweed 112 cab. Both sound GREAT but they definitely have a different feel than that of my IR's (York Mesa 212's).

For example, I use a shimmer drive at low drive but high volume and can get a relatively "chewy" and saturated tone driving my ODS FD Amp. But when running the same settings into the PS 700 and Cab the drive sounds less "chewy" and saturated. Not necessarily bad just different.

I turn Cab blocks off and change the amp settings from frfr to the power amp setting to ensure I have proper settings when using a power amp and cab.
Thanks for the insight and tips mate. Will take a look at those Mesa cabs! cheers

I have a Friedman ASM12 and also a PS170 and Marshall 1960BV 412 cab. The eq on the PS170 is super handy when you need a quick tweak without going into menus etc. both setups behave their pros/cons.

I have a Friedman ASM12 and also a PS170 and Marshall 1960BV 412 cab. The eq on the PS170 is super handy when you need a quick tweak without going into menus etc. both setups behave their pros/cons.
thanks mate appreciate you chipping in. If you had to pick one, ASM or PS170?

Back
Top Bottom