Powered speakers on par with studio monitors?

vick1000

Inspired
I really like the tone I am getting with my LSR308s. But any powered PA speaker I have tried seems like they don't respond to the modeling as naturally. It's like they need extreme EQ changes to get a good neutral tone. Are there any affordable PA speakers that compare to studio monitors? I just want the LSR response, with more power.

I really like the tone I am getting with my LSR308s. But any powered PA speaker I have tried seems like they don't respond to the modeling as naturally. It's like they need extreme EQ changes to get a good neutral tone. Are there any affordable PA speakers that compare to studio monitors? I just want the LSR response, with more power.

XiTone 1x12, RCF NX12MA, Atomic CLR.
Anything I dial in on my studio monitors (equator's) translates beautifully....

You might look at the Yorkville nx10c boxes, though if your are playing in drop tunings the low end is not going to be as prominent but for standard tunings they will work just fine.

Thanks for the replies. I am guessing I'll just have to take my AX8 down to GC and abuse their live sound people for a day. I can't find myself spending $1K on a 12" powered speaker right now.

Are you only looking for one, or a pair?

The EV ZLX-12P can be had for close to $300/ea if you haggle them down. They might do a pair for $550-$600. The dealer cost on those is about $279, just FYI. Just make sure you dial in the digital "EQ" on the back because they are DJ-boomy from the factory.

In that same price range is the Yamaha DBR10 which I've read good things about, or the Alto TS110A.

The QSC K10 units sound really smooth, but once you get into the $600+ range, IMHO you're better off splurging a little and getting a Xitone 1x12 Active Wedge.

I have heard good things about RCF. I can get a pair of Art412a for $300 each used.

About the EVs, are they really that flat and on par with studio monitors?

I ahve heard good things about the Yamahas and Altos as well, but they don't seem to be too popular with the FRFR users, and you would think they should be at that price point.

I will try out as many as I can and post back with results.

I have heard good things about RCF. I can get a pair of Art412a for $300 each used.

About the EVs, are they really that flat and on par with studio monitors?
At this price range, none of them are going to be as flat as your JBLs. Do a search here and over on the Kemper forum and you'll have some good feedback on the ZLX's.

I ahve heard good things about the Yamahas and Altos as well, but they don't seem to be too popular with the FRFR users, and you would think they should be at that price point.
Yamaha has a more expensive DXR wedge line but I've heard good things about, but the DBR's are closer to your stated goals. The Altos are VERY popular as an inexpensive FRFR solution.

My Atomic CLR sounds exactly like my Prosonus Scepter monitors. Very flat response, with the only difference being it has better dispersion and can get way louder

There are some great deals to be had on CLR's. I had one of mine on the B&S forum for over a month at $700 and zero takers. Apparently was priced too high, so I'm sure there are so amazing deals to be had. I ended up just keeping it as its great sounding

I may have to consider going over that $500 mark, if there is that much of a difference. A used CLR for $700 might not be out of the question, but I do like the stereo FX. I need to try out the Alto stuff at GC first though.

The CLRs are IMHO vastly better than any of the other monitors suggested in this thread, and personally I'd prefer great mono monitoring over decent to good stereo monitoring any day of the week, especially for live playing where stereo looses a lot of it's attraction for the audience - and I presume that you want to hear what the audience hears.

I've owned the RCF NX10SMA and tried the RCF NX12SMA - they are better than the other (non-CLR) options mentioned here but close price wise to the CLR - and the CLR are hands down better.
The RCF Art series are nowhere near the NX series, and I would personally avoid them.

Of the other options mentioned here The Yamaha DXR 10 and DXR 12 are really good at their price point - but they are not nearly as flat as your studio monitors.

Hope this helps

I had a pair of altos. They sounded a boomy mess. Then tried a single DXR10, vastly better especially as a wedge (has eq curves for different placement). You don't need the 12, 10 is plenty btw.

So did you want 1 or 2 within you budget?
Also, where will you be using them, are there any other considerations, or do you just want 'PA speaker(s)'.
Are they for rehearsal with others (drums?), live gigs - if so, will you plug into a PA as well, or just use this new speaker.... etc.?

My JBL SRX812P's are fantastic for the AX8, but they are also ~double your budget new.
The bonus is that they make a great PA or foldback speaker, for guitars, vocals, bass, etc.
Fantastic speaker when I play in a duo/trio - I can run everything through them and they sound great doing it. (1 X FOH and 1 X Foldback)
I also use them as foldback on stage when I run my full PA and the singers I play with have all been very impressed with the clarity.

Just another option to consider...

I want two, but may have to settle for one. I am not opposed to buying used.

These will be for th AX8 exclusively, and I just want more SPL over my studio monitors for home use, and portability for "just in case" live use.

What about KB amps, there are a wide selection, though their SPL are not all that great compared to PA speakers.

He said under $500.

I had a mint condition, home use only, CLR on Reverb and Craigslist for $625, local pickup, and didn't get one taker at that price. As such, we can conclude that the market for a used CLR had dropped a fair bit (perhaps that promo for the $999 Neo version was a play) and as such, the CLR isn't this impossible to find, wait 4 months on the wait list, or pay HIGHER than retail for one on Ebay to a price gouger, monitor anymore.

Maybe not going to find one for $500 day in/day out, but I bet if one looks hard enough, they can find one for at least close to that price, especially if it maybe isn't in stellar cosmetic condition. Or even if the OP has to stretch the budget $75-100, its likely money well spent. Go to the bar a few less times, don't eat out two or three times, and you've made up the difference in cost.

No one is going to miss $100 in the long run, especially compared to having a great monitor speaker that will bring lots of enjoyment.

Those are low priced monitors.

You should be able to find some powered speakers in the $500 ballpark that would be as good.

The CLR is a big step up from the JBL LSR308.

I Googled this up and it mentions several speakers used by forum members: https://www.gearank.com/guides/stage-monitors

Back
Top Bottom