Poweramp???

grunge782

I'm new so I need a bit of help.

1. SS poweramp or Tube Poweramp? What to use and why?

2. I've got a Carvin TS100 which is very "clear" and is its biggest complaint usually because it doesn't really have any character to it. I found it to work though exceptionally well with my engl 530 because of how straight and unaffected the signal sounds. Would this be a good choice for the Axe FX or should I upgrade?

Thanks.

First may I sugest the use of the serch function, a ton of info on this subject. Ultimately it really boils down to what you like and your budget. The most used SS amps are Carvin, ART and QSC. For tube it's VHT, Peavy Mesa and Carvin. Take your pick.

Sixstring said:
First may I sugest the use of the serch function, a ton of info on this subject. Ultimately it really boils down to what you like and your budget. The most used SS amps are Carvin, ART and QSC. For tube it's VHT, Peavy Mesa and Carvin. Take your pick.

Yeah for me its between the VHT and the Carvin.

Search works too, but I can more actively ask questions this way.

grunge782 said:
Sixstring said:

Yeah for me its between the VHT and the Carvin.

Search works too, but I can more actively ask questions this way.

Point taken... If it were me and I was going to go tubes it would be VHT FTW :mrgreen:

I love VHT - or Fryette - stuff, BUT with the Axe there is little if any difference between tubes and SS power amps. The Extra weight, cost, size and unreliability of valves makes it a bad choice IMO.

As for SS amps - Carvin are OK, but not the best quality. There a step up from Samson and Behringer stuff for sure, but theres better out there. If you have the money a VHT would cost you I suggest you look at higher quality SS stuff.

Lab Gruppen and Haffler amps are seriously good. Also look at the Crest amps which are also top notch.

Back
Top Bottom