poweramp and cab question

shaddow

I am thinking about getting an ART SLA-2 to power a 2x12 or 4x12 with V30's (60w each). An entire 4x12 with v30s would only be rated at 240w while the bridged output of the SLA2 would be 560w. I read some posts that seem to imply that this wouldn't be an issue and that underpowering is worse than overpowering. If so, what about a 2x12? How much over the rated watts for a set of speakers can I go?

I'm absolutely no expert, but I have been under the impression that it is best to have a poweramp which can supply between 50% to 100% extra power than the maximum rating of your speakers (in order to give you extra clean headroom to prevent sending a clipped/distorted signal to the speakers). Of course, then you'd want to avoid cranking the poweramp (I guess).

I think a fair bit of it depends on the architecture of the poweramp, too. IE, I think there's been a tendency for manufacturers to overstate the wattage of their poweramps (so a poweramp rated at 200W might provide less than that without distortion), but it might be the case that some manufacturers "build in" an allowance for some extra clean headroom, by understating the wattage of the amp (but they might not). I think you have to be more careful with solid state poweramps too, as they apparently distort in a fashion more detrimental to speakers than tube poweramps do.

Also, If you turn up your bridged SLA-2 to the point where you're going to damage a 4x12 with v30s (or even a 2x12), I'd be more worried about your ears than your gear ;)

Roughly 4 to 5 times the power.

I use a 2x12 rates at 60 W, 8 Ohms - and use an SLA-1 bridged - which is 260 Watts in to 8 Ohms.

I can run it flat out OK -though I dont because its loud !!

The point realistically your not going to damage the speakers by the Power your putting into them, but the volume that wattage generates. You can use a 1000W Amp as long as you keep an ear open to the volume (dont go louder than your head usually pushes it say) or for danger signes from the speakers doing funny things.

I run a pair of 16 Ohm 412's from my SLA-2 with no problem as all. I also run a pair of 8 Ohm 112's 60 watt speakers no problems and plenty of head room and more than enough volume.

I use the ART SLA-2 to power two separate Bogner 1x12 cubes. Stereo. I don't know what's the use of bridged mode - doesn't that mean it's not in stereo?

jerotas said:
I use the ART SLA-2 to power two separate Bogner 1x12 cubes. Stereo. I don't know what's the use of bridged mode - doesn't that mean it's not in stereo?

"Bridge" mode is if you want to combine both sides of a power amp into one single output in order to get double the power into a single output. Which means the amp is no longer able to run as stereo output only a single mono double powered output. So no more stereo at that point. Basically if you have 75 watts each on the left and right sides in stereo and hit bridge you then have 150watts in mono because it combines the 2 into 1.

rsf1977 said:
jerotas said:

"Bridge" mode is if you want to combine both sides of a power amp into one single output in order to get double the power into a single output. Which means the amp is no longer able to run as stereo output only a single mono double powered output. So no more stereo at that point. Basically if you have 75 watts each on the left and right sides in stereo and hit bridge you then have 150watts in mono because it combines the 2 into 1.

Okay, then. Why would anyone want to run an Axe-Fx in mono? For heavy rhythm guitar it would be fine, but cleans or anything with reverb / delay / chorus will sound terrible (at least it does to me) in mono. I realize that the audiences isn't usually going to hear your sound in stereo. But to me, for my own satisfaction and enjoyment, it MUST be stereo, or I'll walk off stage. Especially for those with in-ear monitors.

jerotas said:
rsf1977 said:
jerotas said:

Okay, then. Why would anyone want to run an Axe-Fx in mono? For heavy rhythm guitar it would be fine, but cleans or anything with reverb / delay / chorus will sound terrible (at least it does to me) in mono. I realize that the audiences isn't usually going to hear your sound in stereo. But to me, for my own satisfaction and enjoyment, it MUST be stereo, or I'll walk off stage. Especially for those with in-ear monitors.

well to tell you the truth most guitarists don't play stereo rigs even for cleans with reverb and delay or whatever. Probably because it's a hassle with a traditional amp and cab rig and getting it mixed and mic-ed right at a show. But running a bridged mono poweramp is not unusal at all for guitarists not interested in stereo. I don't play my axe in stereo lol, although i'm considering it lol. The point is it's an option if you need more power then you can get from a single side of your poweramp. The issue isn't why do they have "bridge" mode, the issue is you need a poweramp with more power to run full out in stereo and i bet you whatever that amp is it will come with a mono bridge option too. You don't have to use it but it's nice to have if you ever need it, more flexibility the better.

rsf1977 said:
well to tell you the truth most guitarists don't play stereo rigs even for cleans with reverb and delay or whatever. Probably because it's a hassle with a traditional amp and cab rig and getting it mixed and mic-ed right at a show. But running a bridged mono poweramp is not unusal at all for guitarists not interested in stereo. I don't play my axe in stereo lol, although i'm considering it lol. The point is it's an option if you need more power then you can get from a single side of your poweramp. The issue isn't why do they have "bridge" mode, the issue is you need a poweramp with more power to run full out in stereo and i bet you whatever that amp is it will come with a mono bridge option too. You don't have to use it but it's nice to have if you ever need it, more flexibility the better.

Right, if by traditional amp & cab you mean having only one speaker cabinet. Anyone running a full stack (2 cabs) could easily put the 2 cabs next to each other (or slightly separated) for a nice stereo effect. Now obviously the sound man is only going to mic one of them, so anyone in the audience aside from those very close to the stage won't necessarily hear your rig in stereo. I don't really give a rip about that, as audiences generally have pretty low requirements and are likely drunk off their arses. I put my 2 cabinets next to each or several feet apart so that I can still hear myself if I happen to move halfway across the stage (can't depend on sound guys). And if it sounds stereo from my position, well then that's even better.

I remember playing my Vetta one time with just one cab plugged in and I hated it. That's mono.

Bridged = more power...okay, but you should really just buy a power amp thats loud enough to power your cabs without having to bridge it (if you would prefer to run in stereo). If you think stereo is just a PITA and not worth the trouble...it's really no trouble if you have 2 cabs. Dont' worry about the audience. They'll like it regardless.

Back
Top Bottom