Power conditioner

Edge59

Inspired
Hi all, I was curious if a power conditioner would be of benefit and which one would be adequate for the Ultra and Art SLA2 setup? Does it really need voltage regulation or is filtering going to be enough? I am new to these power conditioners :) I do realize that voltage regulators can get pricey, but are they nesessary? Spike protection is good and noise suppression, but voltage regulation, is it needed with these units for the cost?
Thanks,
Ed

I also have the Ultra and the Art SLA2 setup and I'm using a Furman PL-Plus II power conditoner. You don't need a voltage regulator. You already have voltage and surge protection with a power conditioner. It is enough to protect your gear.

I just use a 2 outlet "Home Theater Surge Protection" thingy to protect my rack. It's $30 at Best Buy and very small. I plug my rack cables into that, and that into an outlet (or extension cord).

Surge is less of a problem than sag. Most people i have asked about this (including some very knowledgable giging and recording musicians) have commented that a power conditioner makes everything better. tv's are brighter, amps sound better, etc. i haven't dropped $5-800 on a pwr cond, but i'm seriously considering it. just the draw from running a 3-head setup is enough to brown typical house line, i would think...

well, i'm no master electrician, but it would stand to reason that not all line voltages in typical setting run at a consistent 120; presumably manufacturers know this and compensate for it somehow, but that would be a total guess, whereas doing some simple math on amp draw per piece would give us some idea. i do know for a fact that older homes (like mine) and homes in our area typically do not run on an even 120 - usually far below that. We have all sorts of strage happenings - listening to my neighbors circular saw coming through over my electrical line, and often times I get the local country station on the electrical line, as well. And that's through a ~$300 furhman rack mounted unit. so it's only likely that a true conditioner would improve that situaiton somewhat. - but again, educated speculation, at best.

Fikealox said:
I'd be pretty surprised if that was the case... but I've been wrong before.

ZippoTragedy said:
Surge is less of a problem than sag.
Depends on what you consider to be "a problem". I do run a voltage regulator with my tube amps but just have a conditioner in my Axe-FX's rack to provide surge suppression (not voltage regulation). Where I live, we get enough lightning that I wouldn't operate a 2K piece of electronics without good surge protection. I had some phone equipment fried about ten years ago when a nearby lightning strike induced a surge in my home wiring.

Sag might mess with your tone (more so with tube amps IMO) but at least the equipment still works when things get back to normal.

I thought I wouldn't need a power regulator, until I recently had just 195V on a venue (instead of 230V). All amps (VHT2502, Bogner Ueberschall, Line6 LowDown) on stage sounded pretty poor and it would've been great to supply the whole band and myself with proper 230V!

ZippoTragedy said:
Surge is less of a problem than sag. Most people i have asked about this (including some very knowledgable giging and recording musicians) have commented that a power conditioner makes everything better. tv's are brighter, amps sound better, etc. i haven't dropped $5-800 on a pwr cond, but i'm seriously considering it. just the draw from running a 3-head setup is enough to brown typical house line, i would think...

With most components that are microprocessor-based, brown outs can cause the microprocessor to latch up, to the extent that the device then needs a reboot to restore proper operation. I've not seen this happen with my Standard, but then again, it's not on full-time, the way some other devices are.

With high-resolution audio systems, voltage regulators can sometimes cause a slight reduction in sound quality, depending on the method that the regulator uses to stabilize voltage; some of these devices increase the level of common-mode noise on the power line, as a by-product of stabilization. What works for a computer is not necessarily ideal for an audio device. (Your standard power line generally has lots of common-mode noise riding on top of the power, which contaminates audio & video circuits; a good quality isolation transformer is a "firewall" for such noise, but not cheap.)

Inexpensive surge-suppressors are typically "sacrificial", using simple parts such as MOV's. Once these take enough of a surge, they fail while still allowing the suppressor "power bar" to pass power. Once this happens, there is no protection. Some such devices have an indicator that this has taken place, but most don't.

Basically, you get what you pay for, no free lunch. Only a question of what's "good enough" for your needs and budget.

Back
Top Bottom