Power Conditioner or UPS or Voltage Stabilizer?

Guys in India.. APC BR1500G is available. Which is 1.5KVA. And theres APC BR1000 which is 1 KVA. Which one to go for? There is a price difference. If 1 KVA can do my job. Should I go for it. Or I need 1.5 KVA
Thanx.
It depends on a couple of things.
1. Are you just hooking up your AXE and controller, and do you want it to stay on longer if power is lost?
Answer: You could go as low as a 500VA or 650VA UPS to power your AXE and Controller. However, you may have 5 minutes of standby power. I use an APC 1.5KVA, which is overkill but I had an extra one. It will provide me 45 minutes or so of backup power, which I don't really need.

2. Are you going to also hook up your power amp or powered speakers for protection?
Answer: If you are going to also hook up your power amp or powered speakers, you should go at least with the 1.5KVA unit.
You will probably have very little standby power, depending on the draw. But you will be protected.

I owned an Eaton PW 9155 10kVA UPS for a very short amount of time. It would be overkill but if you look around at commercial auctions you can probably pick one up for pretty cheap and have your entire home studio on backup. Good luck moving that thing into your basement, though... Weighs a ton for being only twice the size of a desktop computer case (they have a bunch of sealed batteries inside).

I owned an Eaton PW 9155 10kVA UPS for a very short amount of time. It would be overkill but if you look around at commercial auctions you can probably pick one up for pretty cheap and have your entire home studio on backup. Good luck moving that thing into your basement, though... Weighs a ton for being only twice the size of a desktop computer case (they have a bunch of sealed batteries inside).
I owned an APC 10k unit. Got it at an auction cheap. Then it was time to buy the battery replacements. WOW was that expensive.
So nowadays I buy what's needed, for the application, and on sale. 500va gets the job done for AXE, pedal, computer monitor. But standby time is probably only 5 minutes or so. To me that's plenty. If the power goes out, I'm shutting down anyway. And it wouldn't matter for live as well. Because if there was a total power failure, every other piece of gear on stage would be dead.

Back
Top Bottom