Power Conditioner or UPS or Voltage Stabilizer?

Hi guys.what u guys suggest.. Power conditioner. Voltage stabilizer or UPS?m confused.. There are 3-4 power cuts in one week at the place m living. Plus will use axe fx 2 for recordings and for gigs. What u guys think I should be going for? Any specific models. M thinking of Furman M8Dx or Furman PL Plus CE. If u suggest an UPS. What specifics should I go for and same case with Stabilizer.
Thank u all :)

Any Furman Power Conditioner would be good for power surge protection. I use a Furman PL-PLUS DMC in both my racks. But a UPS is the only thing that's going to keep the AXE from shutting off if there is a power failure. The size of the UPS will depend on what you are going to plug into it. For quick brownouts, surges and failures that last 5 minutes or so, you could get away with a 400VA UPS. If you plug more into it like computer, monitor, AXE, pedalboard, outboards, etc, you should go larger (1000 - 2000VA). The larger the UPS, the longer the battery power time. I have a 1500VA on my computer and the LED tells me I will have 32 minutes standby time.

After having brown outs and micro wave ovens on the same circuit in Clubs I got a Furman Power Cond/ Regulator. Best thing I've done since buying an Axe Fx. Do it.

Was looking into getting a Furman conditioner the other day, and it seemed to me the main differentiators between the models in the PL series had to do with whether they had a voltmeter/ammeter built in and wether they were 15 or 20 amp rated. Curious to hear from folks who own them what their thoughts are on the general benefits of having a voltmeter or ammeter built in are, also, where would one need a 20A rated Furman instead of a 15A? Would a PL-8C have any other notable missing feature other than the metering on the front that the PLUS (C or DMC) models offer?

I wound up getting a good deal on a 20A Furman. It helped so much with noise issues throughout the house. But... had to rewire the room. Thankfully, that corresponded with rewiring the whole back room, which became my studio.

I use a UPS at home, and wouldn't mind getting one for the road. Power issues happen. For now, I have the PL Plus DMC. It's just fine.

Was looking into getting a Furman conditioner the other day, and it seemed to me the main differentiators between the models in the PL series had to do with whether they had a voltmeter/ammeter built in and wether they were 15 or 20 amp rated. Curious to hear from folks who own them what their thoughts are on the general benefits of having a voltmeter or ammeter built in are, also, where would one need a 20A rated Furman instead of a 15A? Would a PL-8C have any other notable missing feature other than the metering on the front that the PLUS (C or DMC) models offer?

You can go to furman's website to compare the models. 15 amp is usually fine for guitar racks. PA racks would be different if using heavy power amps would need 20 amp.
I chose the PlPlus DMC becuase Iliked the features and extra protection. I spent a lot on the Axe, so I figured I'd

Thank you for yr replies guys. Appreciate it. M thinking of buying UPS plus a low cost power conditioner like Furman M8Dx.. I guess it will do the job.. What say?

Thank you for yr replies guys. Appreciate it. M thinking of buying UPS plus a low cost power conditioner like Furman M8Dx.. I guess it will do the job.. What say?
And since a UPS does provide power conditioning, (more so, will switch to battery, when power is unstable), spend your money on a good UPS. I use an APC BR1500G Back-UPS Pro 500VA for my AXE, controller, computer and monitor. But you could get away with an APC BE550G Back-UPS 550VA, or equivalent, if you are just wanting to use it for the AXE and controller.
We use a lot of APC, Tripp Lite and Cyber Power. They are all reliable.

As long as you're not using it with your active monitor or power amp, a UPS would be an excellent solution. I do use the UPS at home with my studio monitors, because I run them at low volume. No problems yet! They are so useful for spikes and brownouts, which we get a lot in Michigan.

Also keep in mind that many standard 2 plug wall outlets here in the US are wired up with 15 amp breakers so that can be a limiting factor as well. Per the manual, the Axe's power consumption is <40 watts. 40 watts / 120 volts is about 0.3 amps max. Power amplifiers by comparison use a lot more juice. Matrix GT1000 for example is rated at 10 amps at max load, so check the requirements for the amp you have if you plan to power it with the strip.

^^^^^ My Matrix GT1000 pulls about 2+ (3 amps at most) from the Furman PL DMC+ current display (to drive 2 cabs 2x12s loaded with V30s).

^^^^^ My Matrix GT1000 pulls about 2+ (3 amps at most) from the Furman PL DMC+ current display (to drive 2 cabs 2x12s loaded with V30s).
Gear amp ratings are usually max draw ratings. But they are usually very power efficient. I also chose the Furman PL PLUS DMC.
One of my PA Amp racks has a Furman PL PLUS DMC in it. Connected to it are 2 Crown Macrotech 3600 amps, 1 Carvin 4 channel monitor amp, Eventide Eclipse, 2 DBX Dual 31 band EQs, BBE 882i, DBX Driverack and 4 DBX dual Compressor/Limiter/Gates. We've never blown a breaker or had any power issues. And I don't remember when I saw the meter hit 10 amps. I own 7 DMC units and never had any issues. One is used for my AXE/Mesa 2:90 rig. It works well, looks good, has nice pull out LEDs and a nice blue LED Read out.

Guys in India.. APC BR1500G is available. Which is 1.5KVA. And theres APC BR1000 which is 1 KVA. Which one to go for? There is a price difference. If 1 KVA can do my job. Should I go for it. Or I need 1.5 KVA
Thanx.

Back
Top Bottom