Power Amps

cnemitz22

Hey everyone! I am considering using a power amp with my FM3. I have a 4x12 cab but am thinking of downsizing to a 2x12 for portability. With this in mind, what power amps are you guys using? Also, ones that do not directly require a "rack mount". I am thinking small and portable here. I am a amp "feedback" kind of player, love it! Since switching from tube amps to Fractal, I am missing this...a lot. My current set up, runs to FOH and I use in ears. No amp behind me to get that "feel" of moving air and natural tube amp feedback.

Suggestions on portable power amps that work well with Fractal?

Seymour Duncan PowerStage​

Thanks. I had looked at these. Now looking for some audio with an Fm3, 9 or Axe. Curious to see if the tone is colored, much. So far, the cleans I have heard of just the 170, sound damn good.

I just received a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 I bought off of Reverb for $300 used. Was really thinking I would not like it but I've been surprised and its a keeper. Loud and clear tones thru it. Had been using the return section of tube amp I have but like the 170 more.

I use the Powerstage 170 on my board and it works amazingly. FOH gets my IR of choice and I still get all the sound I want on stage.

The PowerStage amps are great and super portable. The fryette power amps (power station and lxii) are really nice options as well.

Another vote for the Duncan Power Stage. I have the 170 to drive a 2x12 cab. Sounds great and the EQ is very effective and easy to make adjustments on the fly.

Another vote for the PowerStage. I'm rocking a PS 200 into a 4x12 and it is gold. The other guitarist is playing through a Friedman BE50 into a 4x12 and I have no problems keeping up. I do love that I can tweak the EQ on the fly.

I’ve got both the Powerstage and a TC Electronics BAM200 ($160), if I were buying both over again, I’d just get two TC’s. It’s technically a bass amp, but you can set the EQ to a flat setting. I never do, I use the EQ’s on both the Powerstage and TC to adjust for the room I’m in so I never have to tweak a preset. I‘d even go as far as saying I dig the high end on the TC a little more, or appreciate the curve more, but that’s a subjective thing. They both do the neutral power amp thing great.

I’m using powerstage and a 50/50 Boogie Poweramp stereo into 2 2x12’s. I keeping the ps as a backup.. only mono is really the only drawback.

Attachments

• 1684FFE3-2144-4988-95DD-70EC46D4E3AF.jpeg
    1684FFE3-2144-4988-95DD-70EC46D4E3AF.jpeg
    385.1 KB · Views: 16
I’ve got both the Powerstage and a TC Electronics BAM200 ($160), if I were buying both over again, I’d just get two TC’s. It’s technically a bass amp, but you can set the EQ to a flat setting. I never do, I use the EQ’s on both the Powerstage and TC to adjust for the room I’m in so I never have to tweak a preset. I‘d even go as far as saying I dig the high end on the TC a little more, or appreciate the curve more, but that’s a subjective thing. They both do the neutral power amp thing great.
Interesting with the Bam200. Reading about it now. Not a bad idea either. Thanks!

EHX Magnum 44 or mooer baby bomb 30 on the cheaper side
I have 2xEHX 44s powering 2x112 Mesa v30 cabs at home. Not the cheapest pedal amps but I quite like them for this application. I also have Matrix GT1000Fx powering some not so great FR cabs and often will switch the GT over to the Mesa cabs thinking I should be powering the best cabs with the best amp, but, I always go back to the 44s to power the Mesa cabs - must be something I like in their coloration though they seem pretty flat. I'd be hesitant to use the 44s at higher volume though as they start to distort fairly quick on the knob - fine for lower volume modeller amplification though - stays clean with good headroom and translates the Axfx models well into the v30s to my ear

Hey everyone! I am considering using a power amp with my FM3. I have a 4x12 cab but am thinking of downsizing to a 2x12 for portability. With this in mind, what power amps are you guys using? Also, ones that do not directly require a "rack mount". I am thinking small and portable here. I am a amp "feedback" kind of player, love it! Since switching from tube amps to Fractal, I am missing this...a lot. My current set up, runs to FOH and I use in ears. No amp behind me to get that "feel" of moving air and natural tube amp feedback.

Suggestions on portable power amps that work well with Fractal?
Mission 2x12 cab
SD PS 700 has stereo through allows for panning 2 IR cab and using all the stereo effects the fm3 has to offer

Attachments

• 8F6782D6-04B3-4713-9719-0BBF65B226FB.jpeg
    8F6782D6-04B3-4713-9719-0BBF65B226FB.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 17
  • 73EAFD2B-ECFC-4E15-A2A4-89596D7D956E.jpeg
    73EAFD2B-ECFC-4E15-A2A4-89596D7D956E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
I have 2xEHX 44s powering 2x112 Mesa v30 cabs at home. Not the cheapest pedal amps but I quite like them for this application. I also have Matrix GT1000Fx powering some not so great FR cabs and often will switch the GT over to the Mesa cabs thinking I should be powering the best cabs with the best amp, but, I always go back to the 44s to power the Mesa cabs - must be something I like in their coloration though they seem pretty flat. I'd be hesitant to use the 44s at higher volume though as they start to distort fairly quick on the knob - fine for lower volume modeller amplification though - stays clean with good headroom and translates the Axfx models well into the v30s to my ear
good to know thanks!

SS Power amps should be neutral IMO, maybe allow for depth and presence adjustments

Back
Top Bottom