Power Amps SS Vs Tube

I see no reason why, when we have the best amp modeler on the market to then go use a tube power amp for monitoring. You may like the tone, or prefer it to SS, but it will not be tonally authentic, nor a direct relation to the tone you send to FOH... so why add confusion?
+1 - but no amount of logic is going to sway many of those convinced they need real tubes in their modeller's output amp - beliieve me, I've tried lol. I think there will always be a segment that wants to have it that way and the most helpful answers are to explain the nuances and tradeoffs introduced by various types of real tube power added to a modelling rig, and how to understand / work with them..

+1 - but no amount of logic is going to sway many of those convinced they need real tubes in their modeller's output amp - beliieve me, I've tried lol. I think there will always be a segment that wants to have it that way and the most helpful answers are to explain the nuances and tradeoffs introduced by various types of real tube power added to a modelling rig, and how to understand / work with them..
lol totally agreed and if you already have one laying about the #1 rule of "use what you got" is also valid, but for those members who are uncertain, or looking for the better way to architect a rig....

cheers!

I think you’re right, and it’s funny to me because the holdouts have already replaced tubes with modeling. I do get it. Tubes are great, they look and sound wonderful.

There's no "logic" needed. It's subjective. Some people have different preferences than other people. But they are preferences.

If you want to use a solid state power amp, do that. If you want to use a tube power amp, do that. None of those is inherently better or worse. One may be better for you, but that doesn't mean that needs to be better for anyone. I do think it's valuable to understand the various pros and cons of various choices, but even without that, as has been said, "if it sounds good (to you) it is good."

With a fair degree of regularity I read someone saying something along the lines of, if you're not using (insert feature), you're not using the unit as intended." I've heard this about cab modeling, power amp modeling, amp modeling, etc. Ridiculous. Read the manual. These units are designed to be great in a great variety of situations--and they are.

There's most certainly logic involved and its not all subjective. - "Just Use Your Ears": one of the most ubsurdly rediculously misused statements I hear around here wrt to how those words are often used to suggest that's all anyone would ever need when its clearly not, as so often evidenced by those (many times with great ears) asking for help and finding ways to progress by gaining an understanding of the logic of how this stuff works. I recommend "Use your ears, brain, and eyes". As for "intended"wrt monitoring amp - I'm pretty sure Fractal's recommended SS a few times for max model accuracy (but I don't take that to mean one can't find interesting / great / useful sounds with other configs - I do, others seem to also - and when you struggle to understand why you hear what you hear, try some logic).

Last edited:
Like I said, I think it's valuable to understand the pros and cons of decisions you're making. However once you do, then make whatever choice suits your own preferences. And even if you don't, but really like whatever the way it is...that's okay.

For example, and in the context of this SS vs Tube power amp discussion, if someone understands why using a tube power amp, may not be "tonally accurate" but still wants to use a tube power amp because they like the sound better, how is that incorrect? How can it even be less than ideal? It's their equipment and they're using it for their enjoyment. If they love their setup...it's ideal. For them.

What about the quality of class D amps in Powered cabs like Line6 Powercabs or Gemini2, Tech21, etc, etc
are there any difference in these amps integrated into a cab?

@Theine I suggest that you go with a solid state amp. Let the amp modeling do the heavy lifting and just get something with plenty of clean headroom and a flat frequency response. With either choice you will be able to get great results, but tube amplifiers are just inherently heavy and will require additional upkeep. I have both tube power amps and solid state amps. SS is my preference both tonally and practically.

if someone understands why using a tube power amp, may not be "tonally accurate" but still wants to use a tube power amp because they like the sound better, how is that incorrect? How can it even be less than ideal? It's their equipment and they're using it for their enjoyment.
I never said, or meant to suggest, it was incorrect in that circumstance (not sure who you think is saying that). I think it's incorrect and less than ideal if the goal is to reproduce an amp model as closely as possible to the modelled origional, but the coloration of a tube amp used for monitoring is taking the model in the opposite (to accurate) direction. On the other hand, if the goal is enjoyment of the tonal nuance that the tube amp adds which the user happens to like, then ya, totally correct. Depends on what the user wants to do. Some are sold on tube amps and they don't know exactly why - my point above is that, for the "sold on real tubes group" it's all good and correct if they like what they hear, or if the output matches what they need or perceive as a representation of a given real world amp, however, if they are, for example, plugging a Vox preamp model, or Vox pre+p.a. model into the fx return of a recto head + out to a Mesa412, and are struggling with their Vox tone and asking for advice, then the conversation can be challenging if they don't want to let go of that recto which is, yup, incorrect as a solution to match their use case. In such cases, where the user really likes real tubes for whatever reason (or for no particular reason), but struggling with some modelled tones accuracy, then I'd recommend, as a logical approach to get as much modelling accuracy as possible while retaining a real tube output for monitoring, that the user look into a hi-headroom / low (ish) coloration tube amp like LxII or similar, with Axfx p.a. modelling ON depending on the model (because LxII will not likely be able to produce on its own (with Axfx p.a. modelling off), even at higher volumes, the pronounced p.a. character of many amp models with p.a. modelling ON - (nor do we want it to in order for it to be viable across varied models), but given its hi-headroom, lower color'd character, LxII or similar, should be able to do a reasonble job rendering the active p.a. aspects of the model), and IC modelling set flat if using a regular cab (because a tube amp + regular cab will produce that automatically). Will it be as accurate as with a SS amp just playing a "make louder role?, probably no imo given some wildcard variables introduced on top of the modelling by those real tubes, but likely in the ballpark of accuracy, and much better than using the traditional amp head return. + the user gets to stick with their beloved real tube nuance (which by the way, I'm not convinced is just perception, and, despite being real close, I'm not sure is fully captured in the box yet - so far confirmed by continued regular updates that everyone seems agree gets us "another step closer" to the real deal).

It's a similar discussion wrt real cab vs FR cab / FRFR, and mic'd cab vs AITR. But when specific needs are stated, as in the examples I made above, I really don't see at all how the solutions are just subjective and thinking thru a logical process is not involved. Of course it is. So I'll continue to be irritating to the "J.U.Y.E." crowd and avocating for EEB (ears + eyes + brain).

Edit: Part of the issue here, in many help-me theads (not necessarily this one), is that the actual needs of the user are often not that clearly established, so you have all kinds of approaches from JUYE to "dood, you need an xyz" being shouted out from all directions without much context (if you have the $, buy some CC or LT or ... consultation time)

Last edited:
I'm thinking that maybe it's time to revisit this topic. I recently purchased an FM9 and have been running output #1 to FOH and output #3 to effect loop return of my tube amp connected to guitar cab for stage monitoring. I like this setup and I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on a stand alone power amp but debating between SS or tube. I love tubes and always will but I'm thinking that I will get a more consistent tone with SS. Any arguments between the two and units people are using would be appreciated.

Cheers
Tim
There’s a critical question one needs to ask. Can you provide details about your guitar cab? 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, 30 watts @ 8ohms, 300 watts @ 4ohms? Stereo/mono? I don’t see the sense of discussing tube vs SS until this is established.

There’s a critical question one needs to ask. Can you provide details about your guitar cab? 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, 30 watts @ 8ohms, 300 watts @ 4ohms? Stereo/mono? I don’t see the sense of discussing tube vs SS until this is established.
Sure man I most often play through a 1x12. I have cabs with speakers of various watt handling capabilities but all 8ohms. I mentioned in my thread to I see myself feeding FOH through output 1 and then using output 3 to power amp/guitar cab for on stage monitoring. In situations where I'm not feeding FOH I'd just run power amp/guitar cab. Hopefully this clarifies.

@Theine I suggest that you go with a solid state amp. Let the amp modeling do the heavy lifting and just get something with plenty of clean headroom and a flat frequency response. With either choice you will be able to get great results, but tube amplifiers are just inherently heavy and will require additional upkeep. I have both tube power amps and solid state amps. SS is my preference both tonally and practically.
Thank you for this feedback. In my mind SS is also the best solution for my application I just wanted to see if anyone out here in Fractal land had a strong argument otherwise.

What about the quality of class D amps in Powered cabs like Line6 Powercabs or Gemini2, Tech21, etc, etc
The tech21 engines are relatively old.. and as class D is relatively new technology (I was working on a prototype 1000 amp design back in '86), but pretty much every aspect of them is far better than 5 or 10 years ago...not least of which is the availability of the power modules, power supply modules and power plus Supply modules for DIY

If you have a favored cab, you can always make it a powered cab yourself .. there is a thread in amps & cabs I started to this effect.. a 200W Class D module (same as used in SD PS200) is ~$125..

The tech21 engines are relatively old.. and as class D is relatively new technology (I was working on a prototype 1000 amp design back in '86), but pretty much every aspect of them is far better than 5 or 10 years ago...not least of which is the availability of the power modules, power supply modules and power plus Supply modules for DIY

If you have a favored cab, you can always make it a powered cab yourself .. there is a thread in amps & cabs I started to this effect.. a 200W Class D module (same as used in SD PS200) is ~$125..
Nice man thank you!

I came across this message from Fryette support in another forum, basically pitching for the viability of tube power amps even with the current power amp modeling tech. Just wondering what you all (or Cliff 👀) have to say as a rebuttal, if anything. I wanna preface this by adding I’ve used solid state power amps / FRFR for a long time now and have little desire to change that.

“In the old days of rack systems, the power amp needed to add a little color and dynamic feel because most racks used a preamp - or three - or a combination of preamps and slaved amps using resistive (not reactive) loads. Our power amps worked well because they brought the needed dynamic and tonal elements to get closer to a real amp sound.

These days, modelers have more (though certainly not all) of the tonal and dynamic ingredients and we have better loads like our Power Load, Power Station and the Suhr product to enhance the behavior of slaved amps. So now, the power amp can afford to be more neutral. Some feel that this validates SS power amps because "flat response", etc, which is not necessarily true, but that's the pitch.

Just because you have good reactive load and are using an EL34 based amp head, doesn't mean you need an EL34 power amp to somehow retain the amps original flavor. Once the amps EL34s have added their bit of spice, it doesn't make sense that an EL34 power amp is needed to preserve that, or that a 6L6 power amp somehow magically erases it. And especially that a SS power amp will somehow stay out of the way entirely.

In general, what a tube power amp in this case brings is dynamic feel, often severely lacking in SS power amps, or masked in tube power amps with heavy coloration or intentionally dragged dynamic response. The 2/50/2 delivers a very dynamic feel, which is why it works so well in this application. The LXII likewise delivers great dynamic response and can be operated as a more neutral amp sonically, or punched up to behave similarly to the 2/50/2.”

For Axfx, I've considered LxII to replace my Matrix (moot since it seems near impossible to get one here) but I worried about compromising Axfx p.a. modelling with another set of power tubes overlayed at end of chain. The statement above pretty much allays my concern wrt LxII - a very neutral tube power amp that does not impact Axfx's modelled power amp character, but offers a different (maybe better depending on personal preference) feel than SS.

Last edited:
That’s kinda where my head is at. Any thoughts or experiences with stand alone power amp versus powered cab like the Friedman?
I have a couple of head, Rush FRFR’s that I use for goofing around but they don’t compare to the power stage 700 or the effect loop on my 50 W tube(I prefer the power stage because it’s stereo). I tried the line 6 powercab, and Kemper for a while. The line 6 in particular did not have gig level volume or punch. The head Rush’s are loud but too my ear too synthetic for gigging

Throwing out my experience and opinion...I normally use my FM9 or AX8 stereo into a Marshall 9005 Rack Tube power amp through a 4x12 stereo cab (Texas Heats and Manowars in X pattern) at our practices....at decent volume. I have the volume on the power amp at 9....presence at noon..level out of the Fractal basically til the cab is pushing air. I leave all modeling ON. I just love the tone I am getting. I went in and adjusted until it sounded good both to FOH and what I hear at practice. The last gig we had a stereo PA and excellent monitors ( in a bowling alley bar!)...I didnt even use my 2x12 to monitor....I actually aimed it at the drummer and just used the monitor mix.

Now that said, I've also used an old ass 100 watt Alesis RA100 and been very happy with that sound as well. (used that at the last gig mentioned above)
The main difference is that the Marshall sounds more organic and the Alesis has a barky clank to it....that is addicting. The 100 watts is no issue at all...puuuhlnety of voulme.

I think you can do well with either. I'd go with the most cost effective reliable option that gives the most flexability. If you have dialed up a good sound in your Fractal the minor difference in the Tube vs Soild State sounds will not make or break you.

Late reply sorry..

Its is extremely unlikely that any of those cabs use an in house custom designed class D amp.. There are many class D power amp modules available commercially that can easily be designed into an FRFR system.. and these modules are also available to the general public. Now, some manf. may add EQ options to their FRFR either to increase flexibility or to hide system response issues (at the expense of s/n ratio), however with a setup to use with an Axe/Fx that is an unnecessary complexity.

Back
Top Bottom