Power Amp?

a2blue

I realize this is a really naive question, but I have been using a traditional amp for years and planning on pickup up an Ultra and a FRFR monitor. I have seen a number of setups on this site and my question is - what purpose does the power amp serve when utilizing a device like the Axe Fx? I have seen a number of racks on this site with power amps. Can I run the Ultra straight to a monitor/speaker, or do I need the power amp? If I do need a power amp, any suggestions? Thanks!

It's really all a matter of choice... You can go ether way with the Axe, Amp/Cab or FRFR. The differance is with FRFR you have more options when it comes to the cab simm side of things so plugging in to a powered monitor is very appealing. Some like the feel of a real guitar cab behind them and don't need a ton of different cab types. The power of choice is grate!

So, I need a power amp in order to power a seperate monitor (FRFR)? I can't run straight out of the Ultra into a monitor? Sorry. :)

a2blue said:
So, I need a power amp in order to power a seperate monitor (FRFR)? I can't run straight out of the Ultra into a monitor? Sorry. :)

You would need a "powered monitor" for the best FRFR results. The most popular monitors that most are using right now, and this is matter of choice FBT Verve 8 or 12ma, QSC HPR122i. I think a lot of people are waiting on Fractal/Atomic's new FRFR offering. I haven't seen to many post on people using a separate amp into a FR enclosure. I was looking into trying a Carvin TRx12n Coaxial monitor powered with an ART SLA-2 but haven't has a chance to get the time to do it.

I'm curently playing P&W through an 8" Raidan Micro wedge powered by and older QSC MX1500a combined with a pair of traditional Vin 30 112 cabs as a side wash to fill up the lows the 8" driver just won't do. I have EQ'd the cabs to emphasize the lows and blend the volumes to work togather on stage and at least from where I stand it sounds pretty darn good.

Okay, I think it's making sense now. I really appreciate the detailed response. I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future. Thanks, again!

There are unpowered FRFR models that will require a separate power amp, but I think you will find that the powered FRFR monitors are more popular, here.

Back
Top Bottom