Power Amp vs. Powered Monitor/Cab

mairinsea

I'm sure there's a thread around here somewhere, but the threads are endless it seems so I pose the question here.

I'm in the market to buy something to push my Axe-FX II but I'm not sure if I should go for a powered monitor/cab (ie: atomic) or if I should use a power amp (ie: matrix) and a separate cab.

I am going for convenience here, I keep a small carvin at home right now because I can't really crank it here. But when it comes to rehearsal and touring, I'd like to bring the pain - in case a venue doesn't have a good PA for direct, I need to have a good back up plan.

In your opinion, what produces the best sound for you given the money?

Best sound is arguable. I like my Matrix into a pair of Atomic passive wedges, because on a whim I can turn off cab modeling and play through a traditional cab.
Convenience edge probably goes to powered monitors... one less thing in a rack.
...also one more thing that could fail, and would you rather end up replacing a PA, or a PA+cab combo? It also doesn't make your cab(s) any lighter.
There's solid arguments for both, just depends on what you value. Same holds true for "best sound" for your money. Do you want as FRFR as possible, or more of an amp-in-the-room feel? The answer to that question alone shuffles the top spot for "best sound" IMO.

Well I have been running FRFR speakers and going direct for all my gigs for the last 1.5 years or so. I have had the QSC K10 & K12 and currently have the two of the EV ZLX-12P monitors. I Liked the EV's a little more the sounded a little more organic and less Hi-fi. Although majority of the gigs I play I just plug in my AxeFx direct and use whatever the house system has for speakers/monitors. It's light and easy!

However, Recently I decided to go back to using actual guitar cabs and power amps, which started when i hooked up my AxeFx to a Mesa Fifty/Fifty power amp and plugged that into a Bogner 4x12 Cab

My Friends use Mesa 2:90's with their Axe but I didn't want that kind of weight so I picked up a Matrix GT1000fx and couldn't be happier! My AxeFxII in a 4 space Shallow Gator case and the Matrix Power amp weighs 36lbs!

Ultimately you need to decide what works best for you but the power amp and cab seemed to give me what I felt I was missing Live. I still use IR's for recording and depending on the venue may still plug in Direct if needed.

I recommend a good PA speaker. With a guitar cab, you are stuck with that one sound (and the typical beaminess of a guitar cab). It can be a great tone for one style and horrible for others. Just like using one single IR for all tones. Neutral speaker gives you Freedom!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom