Power amp suggestions

I had a similar experience with the Matrix 1000. My cab is a Bogner Uber 4x12 slant. I loved the idea of the Matrix. Small, light and transparent. I thought it sounded good but it was lacking a three dimensional quality. Maybe if I had spent additional hours tweaking the AxeFX I could have gotten there.

Previously I ran the AxeFX II through the power section of a Mark V. Mesa models sounds great. Then I went to the Matrix and now I use a Mesa 2:90. I like the Mesas because the AxeFX models sounds big with that three dimensional quality and little tweaking. However I still long for a more transparent amp. LXII???

Last edited:
I also had a similar experience, I use the Ultra/Matrix GT800FX/2x12 cabinet and always thought my live sound sounded flat/dead. The matrix has some issues so I had to sent it back for repair, so hooked up a old Marshall valvestate poweramp that was lying around, it let you choose between linear and valvestate mode. In linear mode it sounded quite similar to Matrix, I wasn't playing really loud, so the 40 watt per side was more than adequate. The Valvestate option really surprised me, I liked it lot better, this coming from a cheap poweramp. When i compared the Valvestate against the Matrix I actually preferred the Valvestate. So I bought a Marshall 20/20 and the sound was even better, is sings more, more 3d, more alive, and 1HE and 5 KG. Perhaps the Ultra poweramp simulation is not yet evolved as the II, but I (and the rest of the band) noticed a significant improvement. 40 tube power is more than enough for me.

I think still think Matrix is a great product though and a great company with excellent customer service but apparently I just prefer to have a tube somewhere.

For me, the Fryette sounds better than the Matrix (bedroom and live volumes).
I leave the power amp modeling on in the Axe.

Love the idea of something with less weight but the Matrix seems noticeably flat in comparison. Still good of course and maybe not noticeable if you aren't comparing side by side.

Got the Matrix 1000, had the 800 and the VHT 2/50/2
For tonal quality the VHT was best, but not by a whole lot. Lower volumes it wasnt noticeable - higher ones that 3d thing mentioned does come out a little more in the VHT.

The VHT is twice the price of the Matrix (in the UK at least) and weighs a whole lot more (important for me) - and those factors were enough to swing the MAtix fo rme. The VHT/Fryette is also 2U and now I have a wireless in my rack I dont have room. Ultimately im waiting for the LXii (and the funds to actually buy one). Seems to me the size is right - the weight while more isnt as much as the 2/50/2, givers more output into a single channel (the LX can be bridged for 80w mono) and offers the flat response for modelers.

I do yearn for a valve power amp again though, probably just GAS. The 20W/1U mesa and Marshall offerings dont do it for me though unfortunately.

Got the Matrix 1000, had the 800 and the VHT 2/50/2
For tonal quality the VHT was best, but not by a whole lot. Lower volumes it wasnt noticeable - higher ones that 3d thing mentioned does come out a little more in the VHT.

The VHT is twice the price of the Matrix (in the UK at least) and weighs a whole lot more (important for me) - and those factors were enough to swing the MAtix fo rme. The VHT/Fryette is also 2U and now I have a wireless in my rack I dont have room. Ultimately im waiting for the LXii (and the funds to actually buy one). Seems to me the size is right - the weight while more isnt as much as the 2/50/2, givers more output into a single channel (the LX can be bridged for 80w mono) and offers the flat response for modelers.

I do yearn for a valve power amp again though, probably just GAS. The 20W/1U mesa and Marshall offerings dont do it for me though unfortunately. Not enough headroom to not colour the sound. Fine if your after a Mesa or Marshall flavored tone - but not if you want anything else. The bigger 40/50/90/100W amps have enough headroom so the coloring isnt as bad - though all Mesa amps give their flavor regardless of output.

My journey through poweramps:
Mesa 2:90 -> Matrix GT800FX (sold) -> Mesa 2:90 (sold) -> Matrix GM50 module (same as GT1000FX)

The Matrix sounds good but I miss that Valve poweramp feeling. I'm getting a good deal on a ENGL E850.. let's see how this will end =)
There aren't that much info ENGL poweramps, the few I've read they recieved good reviews.
I prefer to have depth/presence knob on the poweramp for easily adjustment depending on environment and volume

Oh yeah.. I had 2xCLRs active wedges as well but I never got used to that.

I usually use 2-3 amp sim and I'm tired of collecting Cab IR's/mixing...
My goal is 3-4 good presets (or scenes) like a modern tube head but have the flexibilty that AFX is offering.
No pedals, complex wiring and switching.
Just AFX -> Poweramp -> Cab and of course the MFC101

Last edited:
I don't mind a little marshall flavor on my tone, i mostly use the Axefx for live use, I don't need nor want to use all kinds of different presets (with the different amp models) live. I think I use the same amp model 90% of the time. It is was sits just right in the mix and balance well with the other instruments in the band.

I think the valve in the Marshall Valvestate mode, measure the behavior of the what a normal tube/output transformer/speaker would do, and then the transistor-part copies that behavior for the real power. The Koch ATR does something similar I reckon, which I still found a very interesting option. A matrix offering with a tube plus 1000 watt of mosfet power should be interesting as well.

Last edited:
A matrix offering with a tube plus 1000 watt of mosfet power should be interesting as well.

It is something we considered, but at the end of the day, but we felt (and quite correctly so, in our opinion) that the modelling in the AxeFX would improve to the point where addtional tonal colouring by some outboard gear was not needed. We think the latest firmware updates pretty much get there. Sure you could add a tube into the signal chain going out if you wanted to ... but you could also add a bunch of effects pedals, cabs mics and load boxes too, where do you stop?

We feel that with a good, neutral amplifier and the right patches you can get there, and in some places get even better than the 'valve enhanced' option, it's all a question of the right patches. The same patch will sound different fed into a valve amp and a Matrix GT1000FX, but you would expect them to, if you work up the patch to do the job, many people have found they can get where they need to be. For some people the yearly search for a magical NOS tube that gives them the sound they need is all part of the fun I guess. For others, they'd rather spend a few hours tweaking their patches and then spend the rest of the time playing. Each to their own, I guess its a very personal thing.

With regards to the 800 sounding "clinical", it's worth remembering that the 800 is supposed to sound like that, and the GT1000FX has a little more "feel" to it. If you find the sound of the 800 is not what you want (and for some people it is exactly what they want ... ) give the 1000 a go, you may find the missing "magic" is restored.

I do use the AxeFx Ultra and not an II, so I'm using older modeling which is not up to the current firmware. For recording purposes (or in my case just home practicing) the amp and cabinet modeling is perfect. For live performances, it is different, I have experimented with FRFR and didn't like it. In a live setting I need a "guitar" sound. If you use the II with newer firmware perhaps the Matrix is the perfect solution, that's why for now I'm keeping it and need to start saving for a II.

Hrmm.. just tried the ENGL E850 poweramp.
.. I thought I needed valve power but I was wrong
Matrix stays.. slays the valve!

For my power amp I am using a Carvin DCM2000LX. This is a Class D amp, weighing 10 pounds, and provides 350 watts into 8 ohms. That’s plenty of oomph for my multi-instrument rig. It also has its own software-based management tool called X-Drive, allowing management of EQ response curves, crossover points, and delay tuning. I've been quite happy with it, and it cost about $1 per watt :)

Back
Top Bottom