Power amp separations/Brit Pre/Tube Pre

Loquenau

Power User
Questions:

- has anyone has used the tube pre successfuly as a power amp section?

- a few FW ago, I used the tube pre as a post-shaping device. Now I get awful saturation with stock settings, and I can't figure it out. Is anyone using this successfully this way?

- what is the power amp model in the Brit Pre, and shouldn't it be off?....except what would/can we use in its place?

Questions:

- has anyone has used the tube pre successfuly as a power amp section?

- a few FW ago, I used the tube pre as a post-shaping device. Now I get awful saturation with stock settings, and I can't figure it out. Is anyone using this successfully this way?

- what is the power amp model in the Brit Pre, and shouldn't it be off?....except what would/can we use in its place?

1) Yes, works. With all tone controls at default.

2) At default it's clean. Even clean enough to serve as a "warm up" device for acoustic tones.

3) IDK. All Pre models in the Axe-Fx have active power amp sims. At first the USA PRE models didn't but this was changed. I think this is the right decision as many players would not recognize / understand the difference between models with and without active power amp sims. To turn the power amp ogg, just set SAG at zero (p.a. off).

I use Tube Pre as a saturator after all effects with Hi cut at half ( power amp Sag off) on a Rocktron Velocity 300
to emulate my JVM 410h Fx loop return. It's wonderful !!! :encouragement:

p.s. attention to fine tune the Tube pre input drive not to exceed the saturation.

Last edited:
All Pre models in the Axe-Fx have active power amp sims. At first the USA PRE models didn't but this was changed. I think this is the right decision as many players would not recognize / understand the difference between models with and without active power amp sims.

That reminds me, what do the Solo88 and 99 use for poweramp? In the POD, and which was detailed in the manual, the x88r preamp model had no power amp section. That was the only tone I used, because it had the 'simplest' sound.

>a few FW ago, I used the tube pre as a post-shaping device. Now I get awful saturation with stock settings, and I can't figure it out. Is anyone using this successfully this way?>

I use the Tube Pre sim a lot... for jazz gtr patches, with or without cabs, and also for flattop acoustic, as Yek mentioned. It's capable of saturating at high drive settings... but i don't use it that way.
If you are now getting saturation where you didn't before, i'd suggest that you try resetting the amp sim. I'd guess that it'll be back to it's basically clean self.

Now I get it .

We aren´t talking about the same thing.
I thought we were talking about the brit pre-amp (JMP-1)

>a few FW ago, I used the tube pre as a post-shaping device. Now I get awful saturation with stock settings, and I can't figure it out. Is anyone using this successfully this way?>

I use the Tube Pre sim a lot... for jazz gtr patches, with or without cabs, and also for flattop acoustic, as Yek mentioned. It's capable of saturating at high drive settings... but i don't use it that way.
If you are now getting saturation where you didn't before, i'd suggest that you try resetting the amp sim. I'd guess that it'll be back to it's basically clean self.

I think I read some time ago, that the poweramp-section of the Brit Pre is based on an JCM900 Poweramp-Section...don't kill me, if it's false.....

IIRC the generic power amp models for the "pre" amp types are a VHT power amp?

Triaxis models have a "VHT-inspired" power amp model: "My favorite power amp with the Triaxis was a VHT 2502 so the power amp model is very similar to that".

I don't think we can assume that other preamp models use the same poweramp. I think Cliff used whatever power amp model he thought would be appropriate.

The wiki has some clues:
  • X88 & X99 --> 6L6
  • Brit Pre --> EL34
  • Fish --> EL34
  • MP-1 --> ... oh ... I think I found a bug :mrgreen

Back
Top Bottom