Power Amp Recommendations

OwenTheBrit

At some point in life I hope to go FRFR with all the Matrix amp/speaker set up. Until then I have a $300 Dollar credit at Sweetwater and was thinking of using it on a Power amp that can drive my Mesa Recto 2 x 12.
So I need some user experience stories on Power amps other than the Matrix...and hopefully a few recommendations that can fit close to my price range. I'm just a home studio/garage player who gets out a couple of times a year...so the main purpose is to dial in a sweet sound in my garage...so nothing too fancy is required...just faithful reproduction !!!!

Cheers in advance to you all
Owen

I have a Matrix GT1000FX but lately I've been recommending the EHX Magnum 44 a lot! Maybe because of its $150 price tag. If you already have great studio monitors and headphones and just need a power amp to drive a guitar cab at low volumes, I'd say give it a shot, you will be surprised! If you don't like it, sell it used and you won't lose too much money.
With that said, with the proliferation of modelers and pedal preamps we're about to see a race to make power amps as small as they can get.
I'm excited about what Matrix is cooking (hinted at some other thread). I wish FAS would hurry up and offer their own FRFR amp/speaker solutions sooner than "soon".

Edit: Maybe the EHX Magnum is good enough to rehearse/gig with but i just haven't tried that yet. I'll report back when i do.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom