Power amp recommendations for IR capture

You can't imagine how stoked I was when I saw the Komet 60 in FW 11! My go-to recording amp is a Komet 60 played through a '70s Marshall cab loaded with some awesome-sounding blackbacks. I swear, playing the thing is like a religious experience.

However, the Komet 60 is just too damn loud for most venues I play. Now I can use the Axe-FX model through my FRFR setup, which is great. The only thing is, I really like the sound of my cab. Probably because it's what I'm used to, but regardless, the other IRs I've tried, good as they are, are missing a little something for me. Capturing an IR of my cab, just the way I want it to sound, and using the Komet model would be a great way of getting my sound live without blowing the back wall off the club.

So, my question is, what power amps are people using for IR capture? Any advantages or disadvantages of tube vs. solid state? Any recommendations for pitfalls to avoid? I don't want to color the sound over and above the amp model much at all, if possible.

i have a Matrix GT1000FX so thats what i used to do IR capture of my cabs. im sure and pro amp would work but its also crucial to have good mics and mic preamps to get the best outcome. its all about not having a weak link in the signal chain.

i have a Matrix GT1000FX so thats what i used to do IR capture of my cabs. im sure and pro amp would work but its also crucial to have good mics and mic preamps to get the best outcome. its all about not having a weak link in the signal chain.

I hear lots of good things about the Matrix amps, so maybe I'll have to check one out.

Quality signal chain won't be a problem--I've got great mics and preamps.

Back
Top Bottom