POWER AMP QUESTION...

Hey guys, I'm needing a power amp for gigging with the AF3, and have never owned one before....im just looking for suggestions....anything helps. So usually I dont go for the cheapest product, but I dont think I need the most expensive either. Something kind of in the middle....again any suggestion is appreciated. Have a great day!
Rob

I use a matrix Poweramp. But I've also used a cheapo 800w Mackie I found at a pawn shop. I prefer the matrix. But the cheap one also functions well enough and aligned with my gear purchasing philosophy of avoiding incremental upgrades. Buy the cheapest one that functions, and then upgrade to the best one for you when you can afford it

I have a QSC RMX2450 and a Fryette PS-2. If I were to purchase a new power amplifier I would go for the Matrix GT1600FX, but any of the Matrix GT series amps are well regarded. The big advantage of the Matrix amps is that they are relatively light weight for class AB amplifiers of their power rating.

Everyone has the Matrix GT power amps, and so that it what I started with as well. To be honest I wasn't blown away by them, mostly I think because I run to actual cabs and don't so much FRFR. So I switched to the Seymore Duncan Powerstage 700 and have been super happy. Plus they have some basic EQ controls on the front (Bass, Mid Treble) so it is easy to do some small tone adjustments live.

Everyone has the Matrix GT power amps, and so that it what I started with as well. To be honest I wasn't blown away by them, mostly I think because I run to actual cabs and don't so much FRFR. So I switched to the Seymore Duncan Powerstage 700 and have been super happy. Plus they have some basic EQ controls on the front (Bass, Mid Treble) so it is easy to do some small tone adjustments live.
I'd be all about the 700 if it was a 1U....sucks it's like 1.5 or something like that

Fryette power station was the best piece of gear I’ve bought besides the fractal. Sounds amazing with the axe3 into my orange ppc412. Also doubles as an effects loop and attenuator for my real amp. Tried a bunch of cheap power amps and wasn’t pleased. Having the extra eq stuff helps live when you don’t have time to program but need a bit more of something.

The Seymour Duncan PowerStage 700 seemed like it had the perfect feature set, but in the weirdest possible physical format.

-1.5U with rack ears that don’t cover the full 2U so you always have weird gaps
-Inputs on the front so cable management is forced to be awful
-power switch on the back so you can’t follow “last on, first off” power amp best practice

Whoever designed the physical layout of that poweramp is a moron and has no idea how guitar players use equipment. It’s just about “Apple mouse with the charger on the bottom” bad design. I’m surprised the power cable isn’t hard wired into the side of the unit and the EQ isn't on the back. I wanted to like the Powerstage for its feature set but the design is just terrible.

I went with the Matrix GT1000FX 2U and love it. Awesome poweramp.

Last edited:
Synergy Syn50/50!
Also had Matrix and sold it.
Mesa 20/20 is also an Option. Depends on the Musik you want to make.😉

Back
Top Bottom