Power Amp Matters -- Fryette PS2

Matt007

Inspired
Just got my hands on a Fryette PS-2 and all I can say is WOW. After years of searching for “that” tone out of the box, I finally found it. Every single sound is great now. Factory presets, others presets, etc. I feel like I’m finally hearing things for the first time. I’ve had almost every Fractal product and loved them, but the combination of the FM3 and Fryette PS is amazing.

I had been using the Seymour Duncan Power Stage and pairing it with a Matrix NL12 cab. Everything sounded digital and flat. I was about ready to try a new cab and thank goodness I swapped out the power amp instead. The NL12 just rips now.

The Fryettes are hard to come by but if you can find one just get it. You won’t regret it.

Bump for this. Not the jokes on digital - but the PS2 itself. Any more PS2 vibes out there?

I admit to being curious. I know we get power amp modeling and it works well (I'm a loud Marshall sound person), but for when I'm not using IRs and going to a real cab - 100% of the time with the FM3 for me - I do wonder if this might offer something more than an Class D power amp like I have in the Seymour Duncan 700 or the old dependable Quilter TB200.

I do love the EQ on the SD700, its very useful for quick room tweaks at the gigs I used to play, or for when I'm jamming to tracks at home and want to EQ without bending over and pushing buttons.

I started out with the Axe 3 and PS2 combination and thought it could not be beaten.

Since then I have eaten humble pie, and recently purchased a Matrix GT800 and totally gone the other way.....

I didn't think Valve Technology could be surpassed with Transistors, but listening to all of the guys on here raving about Matrix I decided to give it a go.

So I bought one secondhand on Ebay to try.

I sent a post up on here a while back detailing just how good I thought these SS amps were with AXE FX modelling after my purchase.

To my ears, using the Fractal as a Pre-amp through a Valve amp is only half of the story. By using a SS amp and PA modelling you effectively unleash the full potential of the AXE and I was completely blown away!

So much so, I am now sadly considering selling both of my PS2's as they are just not good enough. £1400 worth of power amps have been completely destroyed by £400 of SS technology. Both in terms of portability and performance.

I know. I didn't believe it either...……

It is recommended that you keep power amp modeling on when using the Power Station. It was designed to be very neutral (compared to most tube power amplifiers). If that seems counterintuitive, think about the design of the Power Station; it is meant to re-amp a loaded down tube guitar amplifier. That means that it was designed to sound good with a full amp (pre and power) signal coming into the built in power amplifier.

Input output levels, power amp modelling on? not sure but I've A/B tested that and it wasn't even close.

Yeah. I've read a LOT of Power Station threads and they all hold the unit in high regard. Never heard anyone say the Matrix sounds better. But hey, we all have different ears.

I have 2 Fryette Powerstations and the input/output levels are correct on both units.

Of course when using a Valve amp there would be very little (if any) need for Power Amp modelling to switched on. That would kinda defeat the object of spending £1400 on two power amps.

However, that said. I still maintain that for my work, the Matrix GT800 outperforms both of my PS2's hands down.

Perhaps Andy, If you had set the Matrix correctly in your A/B test ...... You would probably have realised you didn't need an expensive Boutique Attenuator.

Last edited:
That might be your problem right there. The PS is designed to run with Power Amp modeling on. Its very flat response. I find mine sounds vastly better with PA modeling on.

Either way, on/off. (Can depend on the amp model)

For me, the PS2 doesn’t perform as well as the Matrix.

It still adds colour to my sound, no matter how neutral Fryette claim the Ps2 is.

In my opinion, the Matrix allows the full integration of the Pa modelling without competing with any already present valves in my signal. Hence a cleaner tone.
Rather than laying a model of a valve amp over the top of a valve amp.

Maybe I will dust off my Ps2’s and give them another blast. You never know, as you say I may have missed something, but after 2 years extensive gigging with both Ps2’s......I doubt I have.

Last edited:
I think it is undisputed that the Matrix power amplifiers are less colored than the Fryette PS-2 (or other tube power amps). Some prefer the coloration that a tube poweramp provides, others do not. When I use a cab I run a class H topology solid state amp.

Last edited:
I have 2 Fryette Powerstations and the input/output levels are correct on both units.

Of course when using a Valve amp there would be very little (if any) need for Power Amp modelling to switched on. That would kinda defeat the object of spending £1400 on two power amps.

However, that said. I still maintain that for my work, the Matrix GT800 outperforms both of my PS2's hands down.

Perhaps Andy, If you had set the Matrix correctly in your A/B test ...... You would probably have realised you didn't need an expensive Boutique Attenuator.
You need power modelling on for most amps to sound right and the PS2 is flat(ish) also the GT800fx is not as good sounding as the GT1000fx 2U which is the one I use at low volume because of fan noise. However I set it the PS2 was better than the GT800. I also have a Diezel VH4 so the PS has other use.

Since the PS-2 is a loadbox and a power amp, can it attenuate itself? So you could go tube preamp, PS-2 power amp, PS-2 load box, Fractal IR's & effects.

I thought I'd add some new insights to this old thread.

I picked up a second hand Fryette PS-2 off of Craigslist for $600 last weekend. I have to say that it really sounds marvelous as a power amp paired with the Axe-FX III (power amp modeling on). I plugged into a VHT FatBottom 4x12 cabinet and the sound was punchy, full bodied, and dynamic. I also have an old QSC RMX2450 power amp that I've used previously as the amp with the Axe-FX III / cabinet setup. While I didn't do the side by side comparison yet, my impression was that the Fryette imparted a compression / liveliness / feel that was lacking with the solid state amp. I liked the way it sounded / felt quite a bit. I will report back when I've done the side by side. It may be a while before that happens since I only play at volume when I'm home alone out of respect to the wife and her disdain for loud guitar cacophony.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom