POWER AMP INSANITY!!!

RDeraz

Experienced
does anyone have experience with the Yamaha p2500s series power amps?i have been all over the net looking for power amps and the Yamaha seems to fit the bill the best.at least according to specs.i have been using e bay as a reference in that if i see alot of a particular brand for sale,it sends up the red flag.the most prominent that i have seen are Crown,Pyle,American Audio,lower end QSC.it has been really hard to find any reviews on any of these products,other than what comes from the manufacturer.if anyone has experience with these or knows of a site with pro reviews,let me know.any help would be appreciated....thanx!

I would say that if you see a lot of a certain type brand of power amp in the Pro Audio spectrum for sale on eBay it doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad amp to buy. Crown and QSC are very good amps when it comes to Pro Audio and they have there low and high end models and are also very popular amps which is why you see a lot more of them for sale. Yamaha is one I'm not to familiar with when it comes to a Power amp but that doesn't mean it's bad. Yamaha makes some really good stuff. But when it comes to a Power Amp that will work with the Axe ART, Crown, QSC, Carvin, are all being used on this forum. I don't see why you couldn't use the Yamaha.

thanks sixstring.one of the reasons i was considering the yamaha is that it's one of the only ones in that price range that offers a sweepable hp filter.the cabs i'm building need a 12db cut at 50hz to keep the cone from overexcursion(at full power 125watts per side).the QSCrmx850 has a filter on a dip switch,but couldn't find anything in the specs. on the amount of attenuation.none of the Crown pow. amps i looked at had any sort of filter on them.(at least in the under $400 range).i could prob. put a filter at the end of every preset on the AFX,but what a pain in the ass.figured it would be easier and safer for the speakers if it was on the power amp.set it and forget it.guess i'm trying to have my cake and eat it too! :p

You can also use a filter block in your AxeFx as a low pass filter to do the same thing and use any power amp with your self-built cabs.

thanx strato!yeah,i realise that,but if i forget to put the filter at the end of a patch and crank it up?well...then i'll have some 12" round doorstops... ;)

RDeraz said:
thanks sixstring.one of the reasons i was considering the yamaha is that it's one of the only ones in that price range that offers a sweepable hp filter.the cabs i'm building need a 12db cut at 50hz to keep the cone from overexcursion(at full power 125watts per side).the QSCrmx850 has a filter on a dip switch,but couldn't find anything in the specs. on the amount of attenuation.none of the Crown pow. amps i looked at had any sort of filter on them.(at least in the under $400 range).i could prob. put a filter at the end of every preset on the AFX,but what a pain in the ass.figured it would be easier and safer for the speakers if it was on the power amp.set it and forget it.guess i'm trying to have my cake and eat it too! :p

Ok, that makes sence. You didn't mention you going to be using a custom cab in conjunction with the power amp in question. I would give it a shot with out to much reservation as the Axe has so much flexability in tunning that you really can have your cake and eat to ;)

Sorry ... i surfed too fast on that one, i missed the part where it was already suggested to use the filter block in the Axe :oops:

no problem strato..kinda figured that. :) thanks for the help guys.at least i've got it down to 3 choices now.yamaha p2500s,QSC rmx 850,Art SLA-2.the only thing that turns me off about the ART are the output connections.not crazy about banana clip posts.other than that,i would think it would slay the other 2 in the specifications.

RDeraz said:
no problem strato..kinda figured that. :) thanks for the help guys.at least i've got it down to 3 choices now.yamaha p2500s,QSC rmx 850,Art SLA-2.the only thing that turns me off about the ART are the output connections.not crazy about banana clip posts.other than that,i would think it would slay the other 2 in the specifications.

I didn't like that about the ART ether. My soulution was to cut a speaker cable in to, tin the ends with solder and use the binding post option (included on the Banana post). it works real well and is a way better mechanical connection than a Banana plug or 1/4" TS jack. When in transport everything gets coiled up and put in the back side of the rack which is rather nice, I don't have to ever worrie about hunting for speaker cables anymore.

Check out the Crown K1. Discontinued not long ago and can be had for $600.00 or so used. I have six of them (not for sale). They are reliable, proven professional amps and don't use a fan so they are dead quiet. Gain controls and input metering on the front and they go into power save mode after idling for a bit. Perhaps the best value out there right now.

Edit: A buddy has a Mackie M14000i here and it has a continuously adjustable low-cut up to 170Hz. It's not a bad amp either. I think he paid around $500.00 new for it. Fan is reasonably quiet.

Back
Top Bottom