power amp for AXE-FX ULTRA...

virgil

Experienced
Hello,
I really need an advice :
tell me please : I need a power amp for my Ultra.
Wich one goes better ?
must be rack mounted (no Mesa 2;90 )
I already had one and I didn`t like
tube solid state...just give me a clue to follow..
Thank you !

Here is my $.02 after doing a few A/B comparisons over the past week:

VHT 2/50/2: awesome tone, power, and versatility, 2 channels, 2 rack spaces, about 32lbs., all tube, not cheap.
ART SLA-2: 95% as good as the VHT with the V7.0 poweramp sims, 2 channels, 1 rack space, about 20lbs., solid state, about $300 new.

Both units adequately power a 4x12 or 2 2x12's. If money, space, and weight are no object, I'd use with the VHT. Otherwise, I am really happy with the ART.

That being said, there are different opinions and I likely don't have as big of frame of reference as others on this board. Do a search on this site for the amps you are considering and you may get more information there.

All of this assumes you are going into a cab and not FRFR.

I use a Bryston 3B and have only good things to say about both this specific amp and the brand in general. Be prepared to pay but in this case, you get what you pay for (Built like a tank with OUTSTANDING performance).

Rodney

+1 VHT 2/50/2 great power amp. I replaced a Mesa 2:90 with it years ago when I had a full rack set up and never looked back.

I bought a QSC PLX1104 used, 2 rack space, about the same depth as my Ultra so it fits in a shallow rack mount case ;) quite a good amount of power either in 8ohms or even more in 4 ohms, it is light weighing only 13 pounds.

For now it drives a ported stereo 2x12 guitar cab like a charm and of course there is no lack of power (325w per chan @8ohm / 550w per channel @4ohm) teamed with the Ultra it is very dynamic.

My main goal was to get good power in a light package and to be able to drive anything wether it's a duet of 4x12 or FRFR passive units.

I cannot comment on comparisons to the VHT though.

Claude

hey guys

was wondering if anybody heard anything on the Power amps made by ENGL. Just got my Ultra a month ago and I am loving it. i would love to hear it through power amp and my Cabs.
any thoughts?

S

rjones5766 said:
I use a Bryston 3B and have only good things to say about both this specific amp and the brand in general. Be prepared to pay but in this case, you get what you pay for (Built like a tank with OUTSTANDING performance).

Rodney

That is a reference class audio amp in the 2K€ range ... interesting! Would love to hear the Axe through such an amp. What kind of speaker are you running with it?

Back
Top Bottom