Power Amp Advice?

MaxTaylorGrant

Inspired
Greetings!

As a new AFX2 owner my tonal prayers are answered in every way possible.... almost.

At home, I run my Axe through my studio monitors or headphones, depending on the time. As you can well imagine, the thing sounds utterly orgasmic, there really is no competition! However, for live use I need to run through a cab (specifically my custom 2x12 w/ Celestion 80/80s) the same is true for rehearsals as well as performances. While I would love to run straight to the FOH, sadly there are few house engineers comfortable with this idea in Glasgow and the few who are lack in giving a decent monitor mix which is a really tough trade off for me. So my plan is to run OUT1 to FOH and OUT2 to a cab for monitoring (and that loveable thump we all know).

So, the point. I'm in the market for a Power Amp, as I currently don't have one and find I have to cart my Blackstar head to gigs and rehearsals to serve as one, which kind of defeats the purpose of using the Axe as it limits my tonal options and is a monumental pain in the arse.

I've been doing as much of my homework as I can and the criteria I would NEED met by a power amp are as follows
- Must be loud enough for small to medium capacity gigs, anything up to an audience of 1000
- Must be light enough to carry around
- Must be reasonably priced (Anything up to £600 as I'm UK based and skint, obviously the cheaper the better!)
- PREFERABLY 1u rack sized, but not tremendously important.

So, that's my predicament. I need opinions / suggestions and YOU are the guys to help

Help me FAS Forum, you're my only hope!

Max.

Everything you mention points you in the direction of a ..... Matrix GT1000 1U

Light, loud, reasonably priced, and comes in a 1U.....located in UK also. ;)

Yeah, tbh that's the one I've been eying but I thought I'd ask and see what else there is and if there was anything slightly cheaper haha

Any thoughts on Carvin DCM200L? Seems great but might not be loud enough...?

Cheers!

I have not tried that Carvin amp before..... I did own the Carvin TS100 prior to the AxeII and that was a nice power amp but very heavy (looked nice being chrome front and all). But, replacing tubes was a pain and it was heavier.....although the price point was cheaper (not by much), I would still save up for a Matrix for the ease of use and massive power alone.

I have not tried that Carvin amp before..... I did own the Carvin TS100 prior to the AxeII and that was a nice power amp but very heavy (looked nice being chrome front and all). But, replacing tubes was a pain and it was heavier.....although the price point was cheaper (not by much), I would still save up for a Matrix for the ease of use and massive power alone.

Splendid. That'll be that sorted then.

Much obliged GuitarMan86!

same here, i say get the Matrix gt1000fx 1U. if size and weight is any issue at all this is your amp. and even if it is a bit more than you would LIKE to spend as soon as you plug in i guarantee you you will forget all about that little bit of money. there is a reason everyone, including myself, is using these!

+1 on the Matrix gt1000, mine will be shipped on the 2nd according to an email from Matrix.;)

I will be playing through my Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab w/ V30's so pretty similar to your set up.

Back
Top Bottom